LEDs for a Scorpion ?

Quinn_Inuit

Newly Enlightened
I thought my old Streamlight Scorpion (2xCR123, incan.) was lost, but my wife found it by accident last week. Doh! Anyway, it's nowhere near as bright as my Wolf Eyes 6ax w/Cree, and the bulb will burn out in an hour or two anyway. Does anyone know if I can put a Cree module in there?

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I know, and no you can't. There's no drop-in LED module for the scorpion. I've thought of this myself and I don't have any viable ideas. In fact, I don't know how to take the head apart. I gave up, but you don't have to.

Illum

Flashaholic
the lamp doesn't die so easily:nana:
and no, there are no LED retrofits for it....

the only mod possibilities is to replace the current lamp with that of the streamlight strion and use a 17670 [longer runtime consider a 18650 battery body from fivemega]

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Try either the LED scorpion (mod it to a SSC LED though). Other wise I have know the higher end Streamlight flashlights as ones that don't eat lamps up like crazy

Quinn_Inuit

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, may just leave it as is then, as a backup. I have no idea how I'd take the head apart, either. Thanks for answering, though.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Anythings possible, but it's not really feasable to upgrade an incan scorpion to LED. My 1 watt LED scorpion is my favorite light because it's the best overall light I've ever used..but it could definitely use an upgrade. It's like 40 lumens to start with, but I think an LED upgrade will put it up to well above 100 lumens. This is an option for you as well if you know how to do basic soldering. If not, there are many many lights out there for all purposes

mahoney

Enlightened
The Scorpion head is press fit together. There's no way to take it apart nondestructively. Any mod would have to utilize the existing reflector.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
That only applies to the Incan model though, right? Mine is threaded. The module won't come apart though without breaking it. Fortunately, the LED can be upgraded relatively easily with minor soldering skills.

roymail

Enlightened
I didn't know that either...perhaps you do have an option afterall. If not, the Strion bulb mod/18650 is what I would do and use it for a backup. Then get a G2 or G3 and you're set with nearly endless P60 drop-in and rechargeable options. :grin2: