Help focusing HLX-712L Seoul Upgrade

dyee

Newly Enlightened
I upgraded the led to a DX u-bin seoul. However the beam pattern with the stock reflector has a nice hole in the middle. Does anyone know what I can use, reflector or optic to get rid of the doughnut hole? The current reflector is 14mm high and 32mm in diameter. Here are some pictures of the upgraded beam and the old 1 watt led (it has a dome with cone on top optic)

IMG00016.jpg

IMG00028.jpg

iced_theater

Enlightened
Your best bet would to probably use a diffuser film such as WriteRight. Though that would cut your throw down considerably as well.

How much brighter is the Seoul to the old Lux I in the Nuwai? It's too bad they used one of those strange side emitting led's in that light instead of a common lambertian style.

dyee

Newly Enlightened
It is a lot brighter. I would guess pretty close to twice as bright. My main reason for upgrading was to get rid of the tiny artifacts in the old beam.

I definately have to take some off the bottom of the reflector. The doughnut gets bigger if I lift the reflector.

Thanks for the help.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done this once, and I'm not doing it again. It was a pain to get it right.

The blue plastic "body" of the light slightly covers the edge of the star, but with the stock emitter, it's not a problem. With a Seoul, however (just did an emitter swap, not a star swap), you'd need to get the reflector to sit a bit lower around the emitter. The bit covering the edge of the star prevents the reflector from moving any further down. If you want to use the stock reflector, you'll have to remove material from much of its underside, not just around the emitter hole, until it sits low enough.

Although I eventually got it to focus right, it was much harder and took a lot longer than an emitter swap on the similarly-speced Argo HP.

Latest posts