Help needed re: Stephen King's The Shining

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help needed re: Stephen King\'s The Shining

Ok I've bothered everyone else in my small world with this so now its CPFs turn.
In the book, the psychologist is talking with the parents about Danny's imaginary friend and comments that, being smart people, they both must realize why the friend is named Tony as opposed to any other name.
They both agree with him and that's the end of it.

What did I miss?!?!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help needed re: Stephen King\'s The Shining

This is just a guess but could it be something to do with the fact that backwards TONY becomes YNOT (why not)

Remember Danny kept saying and writing the word "REDRUM" which is "MURDER" backwards.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

that is funny!

"being smart people, the both must realize why the friend is named tony as opposed to any other name."

well, why not tony? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

JJHitt

Enlightened

from http://www.horrorking.com/shining.html

"Danny's invisible playmate that made the word "redrum" famous. He shows Danny things that will happen, both good and bad. He is really an older version of Danny himself. The name Tony is simply a shortening of Danny's middle name Anthony."

Still searching for other answers (I dont necessarily buy the above.)

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

One of the few Steven King novels I haven't read (hated the movie), so I don't have anything worthwhile to add.

So, why am I even bothering to post??? I don't know. If you want to discuss "The Stand" sometime, I'm up for it. That's my favorite King novel. It creeped me out so well several times, although the last time I read it, I merely enjoyed it.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
JJHitt said:
The name Tony is simply a shortening of Danny's middle name Anthony.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found this site myself but wanted the input from other learned readers.
This was one of my working theories back when I'd first read the book although I sure don't remember his middle name ever being mentioned.
I figured either that or a deceased sibling.
You'd think King would have made the name more prominent if he was going to challenge the reader with it later.

Thanks

Latest posts