When will 360 to 400+ lumen LEDs arrive?

Xe54

Enlightened
Hi:

Single die, of course.

I just got a Tiablo A9, and have a bunch of other 180-250lm lights on order. My initial impression is that it's still not bright enough for long distance. Well, I'm used to HID, so it's still tough for LEDs to compete with that lumen level and throw.

It sure is the case that it takes a solid doubling of lumens output to make a substantial impression of increased brightness to the eye. It seems 200 lm lights are just a decent increase over my 100lm class of lights. Not enough to blow my socks off. Well, the only exception to this is that 200lm levels of light are available in some ridiculously small packages now.

For that reason, not that 200 lm is particularly much, but that it can fit in a pocket and realistically be EDCed, that makes LEDs so interesting to me.

But I just don't find the long distance capability better than fledgling yet. Perhaps there is one other aspect to this: I have yet to get into a truly dark environment with dark adapted vision, like a forest. Maybe then a Tiablo A9 or similar lights would seem much more impressive.

The last such adventure I had was over a decade ago with a 4xD cell Maglight. That was an impressive flashlight at that time in the pitch black wilderness.

gesteenbergen

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

I hope 400 lm LEDs will be available very soon!
No doubt the A9 will outperform, or at least out stun in comparison to your 4d mag in total darkness. Do u use a smooth or an orange peeled reflector in your A9? I carry both with my Q5 MRV which makes it very versatile. I believe an OP reflector will do you more good in the wilderness.

Xe54

Enlightened
:welcome:

I hope 400 lm LEDs will be available very soon!
No doubt the A9 will outperform, or at least out stun in comparison to your 4d mag in total darkness. Do u use a smooth or an orange peeled reflector in your A9? I carry both with my Q5 MRV which makes it very versatile. I believe an OP reflector will do you more good in the wilderness.

OP. I haven't found smooth reflectors very useful. The pencil beams just don't transition smoothly enough to the spill. I have a Dereelight DBS with OP coming too.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're used to HID like throw then LED based lights are not going to impress at all for a long time. HID lights can have well over 200,000 lux and the very best LED thrower has right around 30,000 lux.
However if in the past a 4D Mag impressed you then the current crop of LED throwers should impress you as well, as long as you temporarily forget about your HID throw monsters. A 4D Mag has right around 9,700 lux, while your A9 has around twice that.

Hi:

Single die, of course.

I just got a Tiablo A9, and have a bunch of other 180-250lm lights on order. My initial impression is that it's still not bright enough for long distance. Well, I'm used to HID, so it's still tough for LEDs to compete with that lumen level and throw.

It sure is the case that it takes a solid doubling of lumens output to make a substantial impression of increased brightness to the eye. It seems 200 lm lights are just a decent increase over my 100lm class of lights. Not enough to blow my socks off. Well, the only exception to this is that 200lm levels of light are available in some ridiculously small packages now.

For that reason, not that 200 lm is particularly much, but that it can fit in a pocket and realistically be EDCed, that makes LEDs so interesting to me.

But I just don't find the long distance capability better than fledgling yet. Perhaps there is one other aspect to this: I have yet to get into a truly dark environment with dark adapted vision, like a forest. Maybe then a Tiablo A9 or similar lights would seem much more impressive.

The last such adventure I had was over a decade ago with a 4xD cell Maglight. That was an impressive flashlight at that time in the pitch black wilderness.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I'm used to HID, so it's still tough for LEDs to compete with that lumen level and throw...For that reason, not that 200 lm is particularly much, but that it can fit in a pocket and realistically be EDCed, that makes LEDs so interesting to me...But I just don't find the long distance capability better than fledgling yet....The last such adventure I had was over a decade ago with a 4xD cell Maglight. That was an impressive flashlight at that time in the pitch black wilderness.
High-powered HID is hard to compete with, throw-wise. Efficiency is also good. However LED progress is continuing.

The Mag 4D has impressive throw, but is only putting out about 60 lumens.

A 200 lumen LED light with the proper reflector would out-throw a Mag 4D.

I'd bet a Dereelight DBS or Edgetac Raidfire Spear would out-throw a Mag 4D.

You have a DBS coming, so please post your review when you receive it.

http://www.dereelight.com/dbs-3m.htm
http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=sceJZgyKqoA

KenAnderson

Enlightened
Reading this thread, I didn't see a reference to Mac's new 1000 lumen lights. Single die using the 1000 lumen Osram LED. I believe the list is closed for this first batch of lights, but this is just the beginning of where things are going. I've seen single LEDs pushing more than 10,000 lumens but they're still too large and too hot running to use in flashlights today.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/184937

daveman

Enlightened
Ostar LED's are single emitter, but not single die, they are large and have 6 dies.
That's correct, I believe it is for that reason the reflector requires an extra dose of effort to fine tune the beam to an acceptable form.