Who has the most banged up WORKING surefire light?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello guys!

I saw a pic of an E2 that looks like it has gone thru hell and was wondering who of you have the most banged up working SF light out there. Please post pics.

I can`t post mine since it looks brand new, maybe it would win a contest of the opposite.

I bet this would be an interesting read, don´t forget to add pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thnx!
Alex

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there is anyone on this board that would have a Surefire in worse condition, it would probably be Al, aka Size15.

I'm not sure if he still has the light, but he posted a picture, a LONG time ago, of a G2 with a shattered pyrex lens and a beat up casing. It was traumatizing to see it...and it wasn't on accident either. I think he was doing some tests its durability.

Anyway here's mine just for good measure. I hate posting pictures repeatedly, but this is a contest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

fcc93cc8.jpg

fcc93cec.jpg

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was a G2Z in fact...put though torture testing for PK i believe

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks for digging out those photos!
But that's nothing!
Wait till I show my M2 proto-type and Millennium TurboHeads!
(Some of the TailCaps are pretty beat up too)

FC has a nicely charactered SureFire or two I think...

Al

K-T

*Moderator*
Al, may I assist you? Here are some old pictures you've sent me a long time ago.

Turboheads damaged by water and blown bulbs (if I remember correct):
fc7d7949.jpg

These seem to be the "old" ones with lexan lense.

The legendary M2 bezels:

fc7d7947.jpg

fc7d7946.jpg

fc7d7945.jpg

There is the famous flying M2 bezel! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The last one shows the continous changes SF has made with the M2. Smallest one is the first M2 bezel without SIS, larger one with cracked lense is the prototype bezel and the last one is one of a current production I believe. The also changed the thickness of the outer rim.

Al, feel free to correct me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, the poor things! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

My E2e and KL1 have been through the wars a bit though.....

injurede2ekl1.jpg

The E2e with its original head fell about 6 feet onto a concrete floor from the top of a ladder. It was lit at the time, it wasn`t lit by the time it came to an abrupt stop on the ground /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The KL1 suffered a more serious fall of, at a guess, 20 feet. While working at the top of a scaffold, kneeled down, it dropped out of the SureFire holster - even though it`s not that old, the velcro has worn out and the flap won`t stay down for long any more. Concrete floor below again. Hit the ground with a sickening *smack* but thankfully the worst it suffered was the dings you see above, and a slight chip to the glass which you can only see if you turn it on and look around the rim.

No match for Al`s poor, injured lights though!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Howly ...t! Al, you are a monster! Poor lights! They didn`t have a clue how they would end up when they came out of the factory, the ansiety they must have gone thru...! he he !
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice pics Al! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Alex

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the fact that the nitrolon really appears to take a beating with minimal damage, from the looks of the g2z.

I always prefer "plastic" or polymer lights for tough use lights simply because they take a beating better, where aluminum lights usually seem too "pretty" to get all scuffed up and usually look really bad after just a little abuse. Just me, maybe.

Size15's

Flashaholic
KT,
Thanks for posting those photos. They are OLD though and looking at them, I have far better photos, and the ability to take far better photos. No time tonight though.
KT, check your email!

Thanks

Al

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Who has the most banged up WORKING surefire li

I agree with you Quickbeam, my C2 took a 4' fall out of my pocket, off a ladder onto a stone floor today and it put a nice dent on the lens end of the bezel and popped off the HA finish right at the point of impact ( I think the thin edge on the bezel is a definite weak spot) and I doubt my G2 would have suffered any noticeable damage. Nitrolon definitely absorbs more shock. I think I'll get a new bezel and add a GG&G TID to the damaged one, and use my less expensive nitrolon G2 and my Sidearmor holster at work from now on (anyhow it's not like I couldn't have dropped the light anywhere and suffered same damage).

Lookin' forward to seeing more carnage, so post away! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sure sounds like some of you could use some lanyards!!

Secure that light, Private!

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

tsg: i agree. the edge of the bezel tends to get dented easily. what you could do is put a G2/G2Z bezel on your C2. it might look odd but it should work well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i'd love to post pics of my 6 year old former EDC (black mini maglite) but i don't have a decent digital camera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

K-T

*Moderator*

Part 2 of Al's tested SF bezels:
fc7c5584.jpg

fc7c5583.jpg

fc7c5582.jpg

fc7c5580.jpg

Enjoy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

I've got to know how far I can push these flashlight. What I can expect from their performance. You don't know the limits of a product until you have pushed it beyond them to failure.

I will trust my life to my M2's as a result of my abusive testing. Same goes for the G2Z.

These took a beating for sure. Respect is well earnt.

Al

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Al!

What exactly did you do to bust those bezels?, I would guess you hanged them to the back bumper of your car with a string and had a very long and bumpy ride. What did you do? Did the lights confess anything? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Alex

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Next time a light stops working I can use "start working or I'm going to send you to Al for a 'durability test'" and I bet it will start working better than ever. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike