SL Stinger

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Can any one give me the pro's & Con's of the Aluminum Stinger? I have recently bought one and it seems pretty good. I dont like the beam other than when set to achieve maximum range but I knew that it would be ringy and have holes in anyway. I bought it because I thought it would be very cost effective way of providing light whilst taking the dog out or on duty at nights.

I do have some questions though which I would like answering if possible?
1) Is the Aluminum Stinger water resistant?
2) How long on average do the bulbs last?
3) How good is this light at keeping its charge over a few days and does it really provide light for an hour at a time on one charge?
4) Any problems I should know about?

Thanks for taking the time to read and all answers appreciated.

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Is the Aluminum Stinger water resistant? Yes
2) How long on average do the bulbs last? A good long time
3) How good is this light at keeping its charge over a few days and does it really provide light for an hour at a time on one charge? yes keeps a good charge and you can keep it on a charger
4) Any problems I should know about? The Lens is plastic and can melt if on and covered.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The newest Stingers now feature a stipled reflector, which gives them near SF-like quality.

--dan

Grog

Enlightened
1) Is the Aluminum Stinger water resistant? Worked during three Hurricans.

2) How long on average do the bulbs last? First bulb lasted from 1996 to 2002, spare included.

3) How good is this light at keeping its charge over a few days and does it really provide light for an hour at a time on one charge? I change mine every two weeks (sometimes three)

4) Any problems I should know about? Mine has been perfect. I never saw a problem with the lens until two months ago when a coworker showed me his. A new head (w/lens) was $9 (I think he could break anything tho.)..

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
Finally! A dimpled reflector! I'll have to order one...

I MUCH prefer my Stinger over my SureFire 8NX, particularly with all the problems I've had with the B90 battery packs. My Stinger is at least 5 years old and still going strong on the original battery (though I do have a spare).

To get rid of the Stinger's crappy beam pattern, I've been bead blasting (i.e. frosting) the bulbs.