Photon 2 vs Photon 3

JonathanF

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

With the non-replacable battery fading on my PT Pulsar, I am looking to replace it with a Photon 2 or 3.

Any thoughts on which is better for EDC on a keyring. I definitely want an easily usable permanent on feature, and some reasonable water resistance would be helpful. Any thoughts would be appreciated, particularly on the usability of the permanent on on either.

Many thanks, Jonathan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

WaltH

Enlightened
I've never owned the 2 but I have several of the 3's and that's the direction I would go. I usually set them up to do constant on in the dimmest mode knowing I can always call for full power with the front button. I also believe the 3 is more water resistant than the 2.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
The Photon 2 is better than the 3 in my opinion. You pay a lot more money (~50%) for the Photon 3 just to get a membrane switch with different modes.

The Photon 2 has momentary and constant on, but it doesn't fit your reasonable water resistance qualification.

If you want all of the features of a Photon 2 and some basic water resistance, you might want to check out the Inova Microlight. There is someone on the Buy/Sell/Trade board selling them new for $6.95 ea shipped. That is a reasonable enough price that I ordered a few to check them out and eventually give away as gifts. Here is the thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&Number=98465&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

A review of the Inova and Photon lights can be had at Quickbeam's site:
http://thelightsite.cruxial.com/

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Non-replaceable??? You CAN replace the batteries on a PT Pulsar. You need to take the split ring off, then you'll see that there is a slight indentation on the lower corner in the end on the outside of the case. Look at the end of the light that is opposite of the LED, you'll see what I'm talking about. This is where you pry the two halves of the case apart. (I'm looking at one now.) You use two 2016 coin cells if you have the white LED model.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, I have never owned a 3 but would highly recommend the 2 unless you need (or want) all of the added features (which might be the case with the water resistancy issue). Personally I don't, I just need a light that has a switch and fits on my keys, and my Photon 2 works great. You might want to check out this thread, it has a link to a member only sale at Vicomptel (which IMO has the best prices around for Photons, especially 2s). Hope this helps.

-Mike

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I have a Photon 3 and have been very pleased. The beam is very smooth. I would also suggest the "covert" model. I especially appreciate the low power mode.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the PhotonIII on my keychain and wind up using it every day. If you're paying $10 for a II or $20 for a III, money says go with the better deal.

Why I got the III was the low-med-high and "on" modes with and increased water resistance. The II had that switch that made me nervous. Also, I picked it up on sale for <$15 when I ordered some other things a while back, so the cost was not that much of an issue.

Like UnanimousConsent said, the Inova microlight is fine for the money, it's cheaper and very bright, but you don't have the options.

I know I'll be flogged for saying this, but sometimes more of a good thing won't always solve your problems, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif
ie. a photon III on low might be the best way to go when you drop your watch on the theater floor half way through the movie.