Scope to light mounts - Where from ???

looman

Enlightened
I am looking for a mount system to mount a tactical torch (non dedicated) to either a scope or silencer.

It doesnt have to be anything to elaborate or expensive.

Looked at deal extreme but the only one shown is a little "agricultural" and it doesnt actually state what size scope body it is designed for which is not that helpful.

If it happens to be adjustable or quick release then even better.

Many thanks and all the best for 2008,

Looman

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you show us which scope or which suppressor (and the diameters), and which "tactical torch" you would like to mount we may be able to help you find a selection of mounts.

Additionally, if you tell us what you're wanting to illuminate we may be able to help you find more suitable lights.

looman

Enlightened
Tiablo A8Q5 running on 18650's and a twin tape switch running both high and low settings. This might be switched to a HID tactical type light in the future

Scope is not so relevant as the whole idea is to be able to switch it between rifles according to job. Typical scope diameters are 25 and 30 mm

The silencer diameter can vary and whilst it has an advantage, it is my least favoured option especially as the additional weight of the unit would cause POI drop which would have to be zeroed out and then changed back when removed.

It is principally to be used on UK legal lmit air rifles which are 12ft lbs energy effective to about 40/45 with a skilled rifleman but to be honest, most will not go beyond 30/35 yds.

HID might make it useful for rimfire in .22LR or possibly .17HMR if not too leggy as the need to ID a safe backstop outweighs the relative low performance of this breed of lighting.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Well CPF isn't a firearms forum so I don't suspect you'll get that many replies.

The flashlight you mention needs a 1 inch mount which is 'standard'. Now you need to find one that will clamp onto your scope etc and give sufficient clearance for the flashlight so it doesn't interfere. Quite how much that needs to be (if any) I don't know. You don't happen to have a photo of your set-up do you?

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
I recently saw exactly what you're describing while looking for sling mounts - problem is, I can't remember where (on the net). Honestly, you'd be better off avoiding hanging stuff off the scope as this will have have the effect of making the scope heavier and thus a bit more suceptible to the effects of recoil. Not to mention the increased likelihood of snagging the light on something and messing up your zero.

A better solution is to mount a small piece of weaver or picatinny rail to the forearm of the rifle. Light mounts that will attach to that are easily found. Check out the Vltor brand mount for an inexpensive, durable mount. Good luck.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Well... you could get an RIS rail for your scope, then put another set of rings onto the flashlight (30mm or 1 inch, whichever fits better). Then you can slide the light onto the RIS rail and lock it on there.

The only problem is that this adds fairly drastic height to the rifle setup (and I can't seem to find any for sale). Think a flashlight on a rail on a scope on a rail on a firearm. It does get pretty tall.

Alternatively you could get scope rings with RIS rail capability... e.g.:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=261557&t=11082005

As far as the silencer goes... I can't say I've seen anything as far as that kind of product. In the US, we generally do handgun silencers, in which case you mount a light underneath the frame. There really isn't much of a rimfire silencer use. Silencers also don't generally like things bolted on/screwed into them, so I don't really think this is an option.

As stated above, I'd go for the forearm mount, something off the barrel (or get a stock with weaver rails on it, etc.).

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some Airsoft Rifle rings that have a Picatinny rail on the top of the ring. Then you use a second ring for the light.

Depending on the Airsoft rifle type you could get something similar to a real rifle rail and go with vertical grip and offset light mount.

For better advise the rifle style would be needed.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
HID might make it useful for rimfire in .22LR or possibly .17HMR if not too leggy as the need to ID a safe backstop outweighs the relative low performance of this breed of lighting.

A silencer on a .22LR (assuming bolt-action) rifle is not going to be that effective for the money IMO, the weapon just isn't that loud, as far as rifles go. I can almost shoot one without hearing protection. Almost. I wouldn't reccommend doing that on a regular basis to anyone under the age of 45 or to anyone who wants to preserve 100% of their hearing. But YMMV. I've never shot .17HMR, but I'd bet it's louder because the projectile is supersonic. But here in the U.S., I've never come across a .22 or .17 silencer.

The Tiablo will be enough light to light the .22LR's effective range. (IIRC, at 200yds a .22 won't punch through a tin can and will drop about 10 inches from where it's sighted to where it hits.) I'm going to second the reccommendation of mounting a piece of standard rail to the rifle's forearm or of finding a set of rings that mount to the barrel and to the light.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Suppressed .22 are hugely popular here in the US and is the most popular seller for Gemtech and other manufacturers. The .17 is louder because the pressures are higher, but both calibers are supersonic unless special sub-sonic or low velocity match ammo is used.

With regards to the OP, I don't recommend mounting a flashlight to a scope. It's a substandard way to mount a light. What type of firearm or air rifle are you trying to get a light on?

Last edited:

looman

Enlightened
Well CPF isn't a firearms forum so I don't suspect you'll get that many replies.

The flashlight you mention needs a 1 inch mount which is 'standard'. Now you need to find one that will clamp onto your scope etc and give sufficient clearance for the flashlight so it doesn't interfere. Quite how much that needs to be (if any) I don't know. You don't happen to have a photo of your set-up do you?

Indeed. The front of scopes can vary considerably - 56mm tends to be the biggest, but I use MTC Vipers which are not too big that end. However, I also use flip up scope covers to protect the lens from water and dust and I usually have this in the 12 o'clock position,

I have since seen a short weaver rail which I think col=uld be affixed to the underside of the fore end (or even the side) and then just use a 20mm base weaver ring mount. Might have to pack the rail to the right angle though.

The other option was to use 2 weavers, remove the pins and then join them and reinsert the pin.

looman

Enlightened
I recently saw exactly what you're describing while looking for sling mounts - problem is, I can't remember where (on the net). Honestly, you'd be better off avoiding hanging stuff off the scope as this will have have the effect of making the scope heavier and thus a bit more suceptible to the effects of recoil. Not to mention the increased likelihood of snagging the light on something and messing up your zero.

A better solution is to mount a small piece of weaver or picatinny rail to the forearm of the rifle. Light mounts that will attach to that are easily found. Check out the Vltor brand mount for an inexpensive, durable mount. Good luck.

In this case, the rifle is an air rifle so nil recoil. Even with rimfire .17HMR the recoil is not an issue - these are quite lowly powered rounds. My problem is the heavy density of population means that there is usually something within your radius which means a shot in that direction os not on especially with a bigger centre fire round. We also have to have permission from the Police to shoot at certain types of quarry.

The torch would actually be better on the scope re weight and balance as the rifle in this instance is an HW100 which is quite front heavy, Pushing all the kit to the front is sensible, but a lot of my shots are taken standing, and whilst I am a big strong lad, too much weight at the front is not a good thing. I can lead up the rear to compensate but then the weight of the rifle gets too much to lug around. This is a matter of compromise.

Latest posts