Newbie - Recommended Surefire Mods...

John Galt

Newly Enlightened
Hello fellow cpf members,

I've been lurking the past few weeks and decided to finally join. I have been researching, purchasing, and using high-end illumination tools for quite some time. Recently, I purchased a Surefire M4, (new gen.)L1, and L5, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for useful mods. Please feel free to flame away, as I haven't been successful in using the search feature...

Thanks in advance for your help!

-John

Gunner12

Flashaholic
:welcome:

Surefires seem harder to mod, you might be better off buying another light or sending the light to a modder like milkyspit.

planex

Newly Enlightened
Get yourself a surefire 6P. You then have the option of using incandescent bulbs or LED's. You can get a Malkoff M60 dropin that puts out 200+ lumens, or use the P60L for 85 lumens for several hours. Many more combinations possible.

afraidofdark

Enlightened

John Galt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your replies! I actually have a 9P. Where does everyone acquire the one-battery extension that I see screwed into the end of the 9P? Also, would an LED drop-in work with the 9P?

Thanks,

-John

afraidofdark

Enlightened
The voltage range for P60-format dropins varies widely. For instance, the Malkoff M60 is rated for 3.8 - 9 volts, so you could use this in your 9P with three 3.0V CR123 primary cells ... if you can find a Malkoff M60 for sale, they are a hot commodity!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Some will work, some won't. Check the voltage range(at least 9v max) to be sure it will work.

Not sure where to get the 1 cell extension(Heck, I don't even have a Surefire yet).

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound.com has 1 cell extensions with a grip (detonator) and without. I have the detonator on a 3P and love it.

schiesz

nzgunnie

Enlightened
With the M4, you can get two protected 17670 cells and run an MN16 lamp. I'm not sure it counts as much of a mod, but it will save you lot's of batteries!

There was a LED tower module available for the M4 at one stage, still might be if you look through the Custom section on here.