Best 2 light backpacking combo?

hayhay

Newly Enlightened
I need two lights (preferably aa) for backpacking. I was thinking that the proton pro and zebralight q5 would be good. What do you think?

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I would look at a Fenix L2D-Q5 a bit pricey at around $60 but very flexible. Gives you a heck of a lot of light on turbo or decent runtime and output on low. Get the OP reflector for a bit better beam but less throw. Should be more than enogh light/output for most situations.

For a second light in 'the bush' I generally like a headlamp.

fasuto

Enlightened
I believe is a very good choice. Dont have any, but both are on my wish list.

For backpacking I usually carry a VB-16 and a Wolf Eyes Sniper (incan), both on 18650. I carry more lights (glo-toobs, sidewinder, ...), but this two are my flirts choice.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight Q5 would be the choice headlamp. The handheld would depend partly on what I would be using it for and the runtime I expected to need. There are many good choices. For a recent three-day backpack trip over Thanksgiving in the Adirondaks, I took a headlamp a Jetbeam C-LE [ single AA] and a Fenix L2D-CE [two AAs] - all with Energizer Lithium AAs, which worked great in the cold weather.

hayhay

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight Q5 would be the choice headlamp. The handheld would depend partly on what I would be using it for and the runtime I expected to need. There are many good choices. For a recent three-day backpack trip over Thanksgiving in the Adirondaks, I took a headlamp a Jetbeam C-LE [ single AA] and a Fenix L2D-CE [two AAs] - all with Energizer Lithium AAs, which worked great in the cold weather.

Yeah, the Zebralight is basically a must, but would the proton pro offer decent runtime (with the option of being dimmed) while still being bright enough to light up things in the distance? I'd like to have a 1xaa light, and then purchase an l2d down the road (i've definitely looked at it). So how does the proton match up against most other 1xaa lights? (olight q5, l1d q5, etc)

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HAIII Nautilus is a great light for backpacking. It has a very useful low that has around 70 hours of runtime and a good throwing high that lasts for over 2.5 hours on a CR123.

Pair the Nautilus up with the Zebralight and you have a great combo. The combo will get better when Zebralight releases their CR123 product.:thumbsup:

I stole this idea from another CPF'r who posted it a little while ago.

The only thing that would make it better is if the Zebralight was CR123 based and if there was a way to adjust the angle of the Nautilus.

DSC00036.jpg

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need two lights (preferably aa) for backpacking. I was thinking that the proton pro and zebralight q5 would be good. What do you think?

Excellent. Those would be my first two choices. Might add a Tiablo A9s for throw, and maybe a green laser for fun, but only if the trip was short enough so weight would not be a problem.

-- Alan

paulr

Flashaholic
I like Hayhay's original choices too, the H50 is a great close-up handsfree light and the PPro is a multi-function light that goes all the way from dim red night-vision mode to a fairly powerful mode with good throw.

hayhay

Newly Enlightened
I like Hayhay's original choices too, the H50 is a great close-up handsfree light and the PPro is a multi-function light that goes all the way from dim red night-vision mode to a fairly powerful mode with good throw.

So that seems settled then. I'll post my impressions when I get the lights. Thanks for the help!

scott

Enlightened
I'd go for the Proton (even though I don't own one.) I am basing my recommendation on my experience with the Freedom and the Rex. Backpacking is all about efficiency and nothing is more efficient than Photon's excellent interface. You can use just the amount of light that you need--and no more. No wasted light. No wasted battery. Perfect. You can get hours and hours of light out of the Freedom, Rex and Proton if you only use the bare minimum of light that is actually needed.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea I'd say you have a pretty good combo there. Compact, same battery type, runtime oriented with the ability to go brighter if needed.
Myself I usually pack a bit heavier than that so I'd have a bit more powerful hand held light personally, but that's just because I love torturing myself with obscenely loaded backpacks on 25 mile day trips where I get a late start on the trail. :crazy:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't familiar with the Proton Pro, but just read This_Is_NASCAR's review of it and it seems like the perfect lightweight backpacking light.
Although I generally like floody lights I would want something with some throw if I were pairing it with a Zebralight. Having the capability to dim the light to any level will extend the runtime of the Pro, so one extra lithium battery is all you would need, unless you were going for longer than a week. Total weight for two great lights and enough extra batteries would probably be less than a mini-mag!
Great choices.
I noticed that BrightGuy.com has the Pro for $57.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
for me... best two light combo is what you normally EDC.

last long backpacking trip was two weeks at Philmont Scout Ranch 3 years ago. the two lights I took was ti cub and Li 14430/CR2, which was my EDC at the time.

Now my EDC is Surefire Titan and ti PD. which is what I'll probably take this summer for another trip to Philmont with my youngest son.

normally I'd take a headlamp, but when counting grams. choices have to be made. ultra light packs is where it's at!!!

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
...normally I'd take a headlamp, but when counting grams. choices have to be made. ultra light packs is where it's at!!!

Since a headlamp is SO useful in a camping situation, I humbly suggest you take a look at the Zebralight. It is so small and light compared to many lights, particularly any other good headlamp, and its beam is so useful for camping tasks - I really think it's the most perfect backpacking light currently available.

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
i got one of the two lights i want for campin/night hiking.

usually i am a crazy gadget guy that loves to have lots of settings and everything on my gear, but i find with a flashlight i want one all-purpose light, tough as nails and waterproof, with momentary on that has the right lumens and good runtime. from lookin inside your bag, your tent, a map or lighting up the trail - one setting, one light, one switch. easy peasy. so i got the surefire e2l cree.

it is bright enough to light up all the trail u need, not too bright to ruin close quarter use. a jack of all trades.

i do have the fenix L2D CE Q5 edition and i like it, but i think i prefer less options when most of the time i just want one setting. ill keep it in my bag for the SOS stuff maybe when hiking, but i realize now i prefer a nice one setting momentary on do it all light. momentary on is such a great thing.

so i have this light already, the e2l cree. my 2nd light i want to get for outdoor/campin/hiking use is a thrower. i havent picked this light up yet so i cant speak from experience - but i am thinkin of the fenix T1 since it has momentary on as well, and serious throw, and is seriously tough. other candidates are the tiablo A8 and some of the lumahunter lights. i will get this thrower closer to spring, see what else pops up or gets released between now and then. again, momentary on is a big thing for me, hence leaning to the T1. maybe this is not a big deal for you.

of course, you could just sub in a headlamp for the e2l cree since if you so desire. but i think u need a thrower in the mix. i haevnt gotten a headlamp yet so i cant say - 1 i love the idea, 2 i keep thinkin if you ever stop to talk to your group, if you keep your headlamp on you will just keep blindin them, so you have to turn it off every time you stop to chat with your group. i dunno, but like i said, i havent gotten one yet so i cant speak from experience.

Last edited:

hayhay

Newly Enlightened
Well, for me, the lights MUST run on common batteries (i.e. aa's). So any cr123 light is out of the question.

tarponbill

Newly Enlightened
I second the common batteries, I prefer AAs. If I were going backpacking then a couple of AA lights and enough AA Lithium Enegrgizers to get me through the time with 2x spare would be my choice. When cutoff from civilization, common battery type is better and redundancy is best. The new Lithiums are light and small with lots of power storage. There really isn't much advantage to 123 cells with these new Lithiums on the market, IMHO. Cost is a wash and you can substitute AA Alkalines in a pinch.

Given AAs, the light choices are many, I would gravitate towards simple reliable twisty lights, the Rayovac 3W and 1W at Walmart would be my choices -- simple, rugged, relatively cheap at under $50 for a pair. I might add a AA headlight as well.

I have done considerable camping and four wheeling in the remote mountains of the Colorado Rockies, KISS was my main plan for everything.