surefire g2 vs g3?

Canadian Forces

Newly Enlightened
hi i am interested in purchasing another led flashlight for myself. i currently have a dorcy 1 watt luxeon one not sure exactly but it puts out about 45 lumens and i have come across the surefire g2 led and i like the size and the runtime on it but i don't get why the g3 led running off of 3 batteries has same amount of lummens but way less battery time? can anyone shed some light on this for me :p

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
The G2L, G3L and 6PL all use the same LED module, the P60L. It produces about 80 lumens when well heat sinked. In the plastic lights, thermal protection kicks in and drops that down to about 65 lumens. For that reason the runtime in a G2 is generally longer than a 6P, the lower output levels also draws less current. New versions of the G2 and the G3 come with an Al head - I suspect to help mitigate thermal issues.

The data on the G2L runtime is basically "usefull" light not run time in regulation. The data is probably for the plastic head version but from other posts around here 3-4 hours of "full" is about what you get. The data for the G3L, Al head from the start, is more representative of what you get. The G3L should give you around 6 hours of full output.

Hopes this helps.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Waterboiler explained it pretty well.

The Dorcy actually has around 23 lumen out the front.

If you want more output, then it would be better to buy another light. The G2L, G3L and 6PL are all to have a longer runtime and decent output, which can also be accomplished by having a low mode. They do make good starter lights.

:welcome:

Canadian Forces

Newly Enlightened
but doesnt the g2 and g3 only have 2 settings off and on? if so how could it be be any less than full power all the time unless you are refering 6 hours on full then the heat protection kicks in and limits the lumen level?

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
The G's are simple on-off lights. "Full Power" is maximum brightness in regulation - where the batteries have enough juice to drive the LED at constant current ouput. Once the cells are depleated so that they do not have the voltage to drive the LED at "drive" level - the circuit goes into a driect mode. This is the reduced ouput - until the batteries fully crap out and do not have enough juice to light the LED at all. In direct drive the output will continue to drop as the cells die.

Most people are concerned about "time in regulation" when output is maximum and quite steady. In the 2 cell lights it is about 3-4 hours and 5-6 hours in the 3 cell lights. The output after regulation may be more than enough for a lot of tasks but is not as predictable since several factors come into play.

In a nut shell G3L will run significantly longer than the G2L. The output on the 6PL holds a higher level longer due to better heat sinking - this leads to a shorter run time in regulation - but with more output - than in the G2L.

I suspect that after the first couple of batches of all plastic G2L's SF found that users wanted the higher output that the better heat sinking of the 6PL gives over the long haul. From 'cold' both give the same output, but since the G2L plastic body holds more heat it will warm up quicker. The drive module in the P60L bulb then cuts down the current to keep the temperature in check - output drops. This is not all that bad as you then get more runtime since you are not pulling from the cells as hard. Later batches of the G2L have an Al head - probably for better heat sinking to maintain acceptable temps ( lower ) for longer and maintain a higher level of output for longer as well.

Canadian Forces

Newly Enlightened
thanks water boiler that clarifys things and was quite helpful im going to go for a g3 i think then. sounds like a great tactical light

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
See this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176621 for a ton of info on point.

I do find the smaller size of the 2 cell an advatage especially when carrying the light in a pocket or bag. If you do not really need the longer runtime of the G3L, consider the G2L. I use most of my lights in rather short bursts for 1-2 minutes with only occational 30+ minute runs. As such I go for size over runtime - that said my EDC kit contains a 9P with a P60L and a couple of high output incan lamps - go figure.