Fenix body work . . .

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who thinks fenix needs to beef up a little to handle the heat better and look somewhat like a flashlight instead of a minature pipe bomb? Im very bored of the straight up and down tube they make. Sure the guts are nice, and it works well, but the fact i am told to not use turbo more than 10 mins because of heat is quite frankly stupid. If you buy something and cant use it too much because of heat and damaging the led, or it slips out of your hand because theres next to no modulation in the design, wth? Sure its nice to have compactness, but look at the T20 from olight. it has deviation and pleanty of grip, if only fenix would make their flashlights with some definition so you can easily grab it, and have it deal with heat better.

Please give your opinion on the design of the fenix P range of lights

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am told to not use turbo more than 10 mins because of heat is quite frankly stupid.

If you take the time to read your manual, it actually doesn't say "don't use turbo for more than 10 mins at a time!". It says something about not using turbo for more than 10 mins at a time if there is a high ambient temperature. You bloodflow of your hand should be able to deal with the heat generated on turbo mode. If it feels really hot, then probably time to turn it to a lower mode. However, it shouldn't get that, especially if you're holding it. (how do you think the runtimes were calculated on turbo mode? Turn it off every 10 mins and let it cool down?)

Personally I quite like the small factor of the l2d. It could do with some more grip/knurling, but you win some and you loose some.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
If you take the time to read your manual, it actually doesn't say "don't use turbo for more than 10 mins at a time!". It says something about not using turbo for more than 10 mins at a time if there is a high ambient temperature. You bloodflow of your hand should be able to deal with the heat generated on turbo mode. If it feels really hot, then probably time to turn it to a lower mode. However, it shouldn't get that, especially if you're holding it. (how do you think the runtimes were calculated on turbo mode? Turn it off every 10 mins and let it cool down?)

Personally I quite like the small factor of the l2d. It could do with some more grip/knurling, but you win some and you loose some.

Now now, you're interrupting his rant. He's been on about this "10 minute turbo" thing since that was first discovered on the Fenix specifications.

Regardless of the fact that it's been explained away a dozen times....

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can always sheath it in grip-tape, inner tube, or some other rubberized material, which is very practical and helps protect the finish from the worst of impacts (and you can make it look like a DIY job or very professional, depending on what you want).

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on the person, I guess. There's something about straight lines in some Inova and Fenix models that looks good:
l2p5122558x418dm8.jpg

EntropyQ3

Newly Enlightened
I would assume to say that thicker bodies would help dissipate the heat better.
Not really. Surface area is required. Look at CPU heatsinks for instance - they are not a solid block of aluminium.

That said, we're talking 4 W at most. To be honest, the only issue in regular flashlight design is to ensure that the emitter should thermally couple to the body of the flashlight (and from there to surroundings). And of course you shouldn't leave it on max in an insulating environment. If you do that, no physical design features will help you. The heat has nowhere to go.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now now, you're interrupting his rant. He's been on about this "10 minute turbo" thing since that was first discovered on the Fenix specifications.

Regardless of the fact that it's been explained away a dozen times....

Was that really needed? Im making a point, and here you are making comments that are almost certainly typed to get me to react. One thing i say and you zero in on it, and come out with some nonsense reply for what purpose? does it help me? Is that comment constructive at all? Or does it make me want to reply using language i wont use here?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really. Surface area is required. Look at CPU heatsinks for instance - they are not a solid block of aluminium.

That said, we're talking 4 W at most. To be honest, the only issue in regular flashlight design is to ensure that the emitter should thermally couple to the body of the flashlight (and from there to surroundings). And of course you shouldn't leave it on max in an insulating environment. If you do that, no physical design features will help you. The heat has nowhere to go.

While thats true, i cant help but think how hot the ambient temperature must be in order to not be able to cool down? mean the blood in our veins is something like 32 or 36 celcious, so if out hands cool the light down, i would hate to be in a place where cooling fails lol Phew thats hot.

Illum

Flashaholic
Depends on the person, I guess. There's something about straight lines in some Inova and Fenix models that looks good:

simplicity, if used correctly, can be a better selling point than the "tactical flashlights" the flood the streets today:whistle:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My P3D got accidentally turned on, 2 seperate times. The last time, it was on for at least 45 minutes on turbo mode. The light was too hot to handle, and needed a full 5 minutes to cool down just enough to the point that I could hold it in my hand.

I still use my P3D on a regular basis at work. Still just as bright as the day I got it. Perhaps I reduced the lifespan of the LED. But 45 minutes of constant on from turbo mode won't make the LED go :poof:

You won't be able to hold onto the light without heavy gloves or a pair of tongs, but it's going to work for over 10 minutes.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they look fine the way they are right now, simple is nice, no need to make a flashlight all menacing looking.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh trust me, thats the last thing i want. My lights that i EDC must look good, but not agressive. The only reason i dont EDC my ultrafire C2, is because if for any reason im stopped and searched, or in a place where i must place such items at a front desk somewhere, it looks really bad. I love the P3D for "non agressive look" however the olight T20 looks nice, has variation and is not agressive. I may try an olight at some point, and see how i like that.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Was that really needed? Im making a point, and here you are making comments that are almost certainly typed to get me to react. One thing i say and you zero in on it, and come out with some nonsense reply for what purpose? does it help me? Is that comment constructive at all? Or does it make me want to reply using language i wont use here?

You bring it up all the time, I'll call you out on it. That's just how it is. It's not a nonsense reply, it's a reply to an obvious This vs That thread, which rarely work out well.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im going to ask you again to stop with the jousting me. How old are you? i mention something so you have to throw it at me every time? I bring it up all the time? So every time i make a post im complaining about the heating issues of fenix light? wow i did not know that.

My opinions are valid, so stop trying to offend me because your starting to succeed.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh trust me, thats the last thing i want. My lights that i EDC must look good, but not agressive. The only reason i dont EDC my ultrafire C2, is because if for any reason im stopped and searched, or in a place where i must place such items at a front desk somewhere, it looks really bad. I love the P3D for "non agressive look" however the olight T20 looks nice, has variation and is not agressive. I may try an olight at some point, and see how i like that.

Well I guess that really boils down to personal preference. I actually prefer the look of P3d over olight line.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Im going to ask you again to stop with the jousting me. How old are you? i mention something so you have to throw it at me every time? I bring it up all the time? So every time i make a post im complaining about the heating issues of fenix light? wow i did not know that.

My opinions are valid, so stop trying to offend me because your starting to succeed.

:shakehead

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You bring it up all the time, I'll call you out on it. That's just how it is. It's not a nonsense reply, it's a reply to an obvious This vs That thread, which rarely work out well.

click his profile. Clikc "view all posts by this member". There is 1 mention of him disliking the 10 minute thing for fenix's in the first page; that is, the mention in this thread. In future, I strongly suggest you check there is evidence before calling foul.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
click his profile. Clikc "view all posts by this member". There is 1 mention of him disliking the 10 minute thing for fenix's in the first page; that is, the mention in this thread. In future, I strongly suggest you check there is evidence before calling foul.

Thankyou for that comment.

Lets focus mostly now on the fenix body work, and try and ignore the comments that person has typed.