Blackout?

smvtsailor

Newly Enlightened
"High winds knocked down ubiquitous palm fronds, and thousands of customers around Los Angeles lost power, at least temporarily after power lines were hit with high winds, but the area saw no real damage."
Source

Any lucky CPF'ers?
On second thought, they probably can't tell us...

Edit: Mods, I just realized that this may belong in the Café. If so, please move this thread.

hopkins

Enlightened
We still have power here in San Jose but they say lots of outages in the north
Bay Area. I've been charging up any batteries that need it - haha!

What a great storm! They had 140mph gusts on the hill tops east of San Francisco - Oh ya!

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some blackouts in San Mateo Country (just south of San Francisco)... But in my area, very spotty (Safeway had power knocked out, across the street the other shopping center had full power). That one was caused by a good sized Redwood that took out a pole/line...

Basically, most of the outages in our area has been the result of trees dropping parts or falling over... Our home came with lots of trees (most not in great shape). Took years for us to get most of them taken down (plus multi-hundred dollar permits that can take months to get or get permits that don't let you keep your trees small/sized to the location).

Now-a-days, I will not let any tree grow over 1 foot tall before I take it out... I will be darned if I let the city "beautification" powers that be believe that trees on my property belong to them--and prevent me from removing dangerous/over sized ones next to my home/power lines.

-Bill

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a few flickers, but with a new box of 50 CR123's, two new Eneloop kits and a fueled up generator, my power probably won't go out.

However the wind on the bay bridge tipped over four or so trucks. They righted one and it tipped right over in the next gust, so they gave up till the wind died.

Quite a SNAFU for those needing to travel that way.

-- Alan

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appologize in advance for being a wet blanket, but a power outage is NOT a lucky thing to be in or wish for. They can be dangerous, no matter how many flashlights one may have, there are predators what come out in the dark, and you might not be "lucky" enough to survive the chance encounter.

They are especially dangerous for the elderly, those in hospitals and other users that require a constant source of power for their medical needs. Add to it the dangerous weather that has created the initial situation and it might get dire very quickly.

I wonder how many who get injured or killed or have relatives killed will consider it a GREAT STORM.

Be careful what you wish for...

Again, sorry to be the wet blanket on the blackout party.

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
Thats ok Lee1959.
Everyone has had a hand in where they are and how
prepaired they are to deal with dangerous things happening suddenly.
-chance favors the prepaired mind-

Some people are gamblers and make little effort to be prepaired, trusting
to chance. Cheer them on! You dare not feel sorry for them for obvious reasons.

Others like BB cut the trees down before they fall on his house at 2am!
Still others have flashlights, mace, stunguns, pocketed for instant use.:duh2:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats ok Lee1959.
Everyone has had a hand in where they are and how
prepaired they are to deal with dangerous things happening suddenly.
-chance favors the prepaired mind-

This makes it something to cheer on, and wish for? To wish for danger to others because you might be better prepared? I carry flashlights, a firearm, several knives every single day. I have firearms, supplies, heaters, food, water, I can survive many natural and man made disasters better than most.

However I do not cheer on storms, hope and pray for them so that I may play with my flashlights, or other toys. I do not want those who for whatever reason are not as prepared as I to suffer, or be killed.

To do so, at least to me, is a terrible self-centered thought process, sorry, I wont wish trouble or danger on anyone, nor cheer it on.

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
Wow! Bravo Lee1959! You are not afraid of the dark.
Can you guess how many others of our ilk are out here?
A coward can smile,
When there's not to fear.
And nothing, his progress bars.
But it takes a man to stand and cheer.
While the other fellow stars.

It isn't the victory after all,
But, the fight that a brother makes.
A man when driven against the wall,
takes the blows of fate.

With his head held high.
Bleeding, bruised, and pale!!
Is the man who will win, fate defied,
For he isn't afraid to fail.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not beleive I ever said I was or was not afraid of anything, dark or otherwise. I simply said I thought it to be terribly self centered, and will add, immature, to cheer for a dangerous storm that has, or has the potential, to injure people.

Of course, quite naturally making up an inane poem makes up for that immaturity...

hopkins

Enlightened
The poem was quoted from a collection of
George Bernard Shaw (b 1856 Dublin-d 1950)
although he only borrowed it as no one knows the
author. In a way he was a Blogger too, but his
were put on stage.

Please reread my earlier posts Lee. I'm not
cheering the storm but the people who will
deal with it, prepaired with tools or just any skill
they have.

..and lighten up fella! I salute you for being
prepaired, and not being afraid (again!) -
your Oscar Wilde signature pinged something
and reminded me of Shaw's quotation. It was
just amplifying your motto...