multilevel switch for my malkoff ..anyone know how & what

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
hoping for a low ,medium ,high tailcap switch that will work with malkoff circuit...is it doable or will adding some circuit in tailcap fry the malkoff as when if you put in low mode the malkoff wants to push 1a as its designed then over doing it and frying ..get me?

JamisonM

Enlightened
I'd like to know this myself. Gene's drop-in did wonders for my D cell maglite. The only thing that could make it any better would be to have multiple output levels.

wingnutLP

Enlightened
I have searched for the last few hours and can't really find much reliable info on this topic.

Some seem to suggest that the AW soft start incan switch will work with a malkoff and others think not.

Is there any way to add a low mode to a 6P with an M60 and McClicky?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
In one of my old posts, I warned that the Malkoff M30 and M60 don't work 100% with the OpticsHQ/TLS tailcap. But I can't recall now any testing I've done with the M30 and TLS tailcap. Nor can I recall where I got the information regarding M60 compatibility, since I don't own an M60.

The issue with the TLS tailcap is that it is not 100% compatible with all of the P60 drop-ins on the market. That much is clear.

For example, the multifunction tailcap doesn't function correctly with my old DX6090 and DX11836 drop-ins. With both drop-ins, max brightness and strobe modes work fine. The first problem is that both drop-ins come on in dim mode as soon as you screw down the OpticsHQ tailcap all the way. You can't turn off the flashlight. The second problem is that if you press the side button, all that happens is that you can dim or brighten the light. A fast click-release of the side button doesn't turn off the light, which is what should happen.

IIRC, the tailcap does work fine with my SOB1000-based LED towers.

I'll re-check the tailcap compatibility with my M30 within a few days hopefully. Perhaps I'll also test against various 7135, boost, boost-buck, and buck drivers.

Edit: Confirmed that the TLS tailcap functions perfectly with SOB1000 and KD1640 buck drivers. It doesn't function correctly with a single-mode, 3xAMC7135 driver, nor a single-mode 6xAMC7135 two-board sandwich driver. Upcoming tests: GD1000 boost/buck and Malkoff M30 boost driver.

2nd edit: I tested the TLS tailcap with a GD1000 boost-buck driver, Malkoff M30, and old KD2363 drop-in (with multimode controller removed to make the drop-in single-mode). The tailcap functions properly with the GD1000. The tailcap does not quite function 100% correctly with the M30. The one incorrect function is that the M30 remains in a "moonglow" mode even when the tailcap is turned off. The tailcap functions 100% correctly with the KD2363.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to know this myself. Gene's drop-in did wonders for my D cell maglite. The only thing that could make it any better would be to have multiple output levels.

For two levels, I would think that something like this switch could work. One side is plain on. Center is off. The other side is resistored to give you a lower level. Install the switch according to this thread.

wingnutLP

Enlightened
How about the AW soft start switch?

It uses PWM for dimming though so I am not sure if it would work with gene's driver...

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I added a resistored 2 level tailswitch to one of Gene's mag drop-ins and it worked fine.

Mac

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW Switch
It will not work with the M30.
It will work with the M60.

It's a voltage "thing" with the switch. Been there, done that. Yes it's an expensive solution - I bought the AW switched primarily for incan use - but did check it out on M30 / M60s & posted it in the original thread.