Dereelight 2SM or 2SD?

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to pick up a Dereelight but being very new, it is difficult in understanding all this new info.

The Dereelight 2SM has the Two-stage output( low-> 120ma, high-> 1.1A) whereas the Dereelight 2SD has 2 modes, 100% and 5%.

Question is... on the 2SM, what the difference between the High and low... 100% and 70%/50%/20%.... anyone know this?

Thank you

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking to pick up a Dereelight but being very new, it is difficult in understanding all this new info.

The Dereelight 2SM has the Two-stage output( low-> 120ma, high-> 1.1A) whereas the Dereelight 2SD has 2 modes, 100% and 5%.

Question is... on the 2SM, what the difference between the High and low... 100% and 70%/50%/20%.... anyone know this?

Thank you
I don't know the exact difference in percentage, but at least on my 2SM modules, it is about 15% on low, and 100% on high. And with the power draw listed for each mode, that seems very close to what it should work out to be.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
so the 2SM on low is slightly brighter than the 2SD on low?
I don't have a 2SD, but I have a 3SD which has the same output on low as the 2SD (5%). In comparing the 2SM and the 3SD, I actually think it the 2SM is noticeably brighter on low. It's kind of hard to tell in this picture, but I think you can see the 2SM (on the left) is definitely brighter than my 3SM when both are on low. I have the 3SD in my CL1H, and the 2SM in my C2 set up to use the low mode. Both are using 2 fresh SureFire 123s.

2SM on the Left, and 3 SD on the right - both on low
2170643180_f31b0b7ec9.jpg

Last edited:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to consider two things:

1) What host will you be using? (Dereelight or SF C2, 6P, etc.)

2) What batteries will you be using

The 2SM only works with the Dereelight body.

The 2SD only works with a single cell (preferably a 18650 or 17650 rechargeable.)

The following part of Dereelight's website compares each of the modules:

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to use the Dereelight itself as the host.
I am simply unsure as to the difference in lumens between the 2SM and 2SD when on low power is all.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to consider two things:

1) What host will you be using? (Dereelight or SF C2, 6P, etc.)

2) What batteries will you be using

The 2SM only works with the Dereelight body.

The 2SD only works with a single cell (preferably a 18650 or 17650 rechargeable.)

The following part of Dereelight's website compares each of the modules:

Actually the 2SM works in other P60 compatable hosts, but necessarily with both modes working. I have the 2SM in my C2, and can set it up to use low or high, but not both at the same time because of the anodized threads of the Surefire (for lockout purposes).

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the 2SM works in other P60 compatable hosts, but necessarily with both modes working. I have the 2SM in my C2, and can set it up to use low or high, but not both at the same time because of the anodized threads of the Surefire (for lockout purposes).

Yes, I heard that you could make both levels work...but not without a little effort. It's not a simple switch, which is the great thing about 2 stage lights.

I really want a @SD or 3SD that takes primaries and can switch with a click of the switch...but unfortunately no one makes one as far as I know.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
The choice between 2SM and 2SD is between what kinds of voltages you want to run.

If you have an 18650 battery (LI-ION), you go for 2SD. If you want to run two primaries or two RCR123s, you go 2SM. The choices are really there for battery considerations.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
The choice between 2SM and 2SD is between what kinds of voltages you want to run.

If you have an 18650 battery (LI-ION), you go for 2SD. If you want to run two primaries or two RCR123s, you go 2SM. The choices are really there for battery considerations.

...as long as you are using a Dereelight body. Otherwise the 2SM will only work in one mode without some tinkering to switch it.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you all for your help. I ended up purchasing the 3SD. :twothumbs
Why? If the levels really are 5, 50, and 100% you won't see much of a difference between 50 and 100% making it kinda pointless. IMHO, the 3 level should be more like 1, 10, & 100%, and the 2 level should be like 5 & 100, but what do I know. :sssh:

Last edited:

Gatsby

Enlightened
I chose the 2SM solely for the flexibility with batteries although I'm running 18650s in it now. The low is not a super low low but runs for something like 22 hours at that setting on an 18650 so it's low enough for general purposes.

The only thing I would change is I'm getting an OP reflector. With the Q5 and smooth reflector is sure throws but the beam is actually for my uses not as useful as a bit more flood (and fewer Cree rings) would be.

ca pow

Newly Enlightened

Thank you

I have both pills, and exclusively use the 2SD, because I love using the 18650 protected 2600ma, seems to last forever with little to no dimming as the charge runs it's course. The 2SM is more versatile in that it can use multiple batteries, but will dim as the charge is spent.