I finally get to join the A2 club!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I pulled the trigger today. :naughty:
Many, many thanks to MossyOak for letting us know about the great deal. I drove 20 miles to my closest store today, in Federal Way, WA.

Unfortunately they were out of U2s (so Milkyspit can rest easy tonight knowing I won't be hounding him for a 4x Rebel mod) but they did have some A2's in stock.
I chose the White LED, as I have no use for Blue and already have some red combo lights. Besides, I figure that I have more good options for simple solder modding the light at this voltage rather than the lower red LED voltage. I was hoping for YG LEDs but they had none, just red, white and blue.

Anyway I have one of my longtime wish list lights finally ticked off. After reading some older threads about the A2 here on CPF over the past year I acquired great respect for the engineering behind this light.

So now that the first decision is over, I am now faced with a big decision. Maybe right here there lives a big old tree... :laughing:
(sorry couldn't resist that reference after I typed "big decision")
I now have to consider modding the LEDs. It seems the Aviatrix may never come to pass. And I want to get rid of those stock yellow crusted, angry blue, Nichia LEDs eventually. So what to use?

New Nichia DS, SMJLEDs, (THC3's are gone now apparently as LS diodes isn't online anymore), snow whites?
Or do I go with something more exotic like Teal or maybe UV?
:thinking:

Any recommendations or ideas on what LED mods I should consider with this new addition to the family?
So when do I get my shiny card and learn the secret A2 handshake? ;)

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
I regret the day that I sold mine (kinda had to, needed money for school). I will eventually get another one. Congratulations you got a great deal.

Gunnerboy

Enlightened
Hi PhantomPhoton,

I too bought my first A2 (white) today at Sportsmans Warehouse - thanks to mossyoak. When I called the store's knife/flashlight department to confirm the sale price and availability, the employee laughed out loud. Apparently, I wasn't the only CPF'er to call them regarding the sale price.

I was hoping my first A2 would've been a black model, but oh well. Time for Strion socket & SMJLED upgrades.

Gary

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gunnerboy,
Yea, I had them call around to a couple other close stores to ask if they had any U2s in stock. No luck. They did have Kromas, G3s, and AN8 Commanders; but none of these lights fit my fancy. I took a minute thinking about the Kroma but decided a mod would be too difficult on it.

I'm happy with my A2. I almost bought both a red and a white LED version but luckily my penny pinching nature kicked in and I was "saved."

greenLED

Flashaholic
Phantom - I have a soft spot in my heart for the Y/G LED's. With dark-adapted eyes they provide more than plenty light for any task; I actually prefer them over white LED A2's.

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
I sanded the LEDs on my white one with some 800 grit wet and dry, it smoothed out the nasty blue hot spot and gave a lovely cool white flood beam.

rtt

Enlightened
Congratulations on your new A2! I have the white led model that I use everyday! Great light.

fordwillman

Newly Enlightened
Me too, me too...I want to know the secret handshake and get my membership card!!! Got mine today at Sportsman's Warehouse in Mesa, AZ, and it is a dandy!