Acebeam        

Thread: I need arc knowledge

Flashaholic*

Default I need arc knowledge

Folks,
    I am considering an Arc LS?. The variations of this light confuse the h*** out of me. High dome, Low dome, what is it I want. What is a twisty? What is a clicky? moon mode, what is this? Is an Arc LS superior to a SF E1e? Ok folks, enlighten me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thank You!! dtsoll
    I should have said I am getting an E1e for now but a LS may be in my future, convince me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Default Re: I need arc knowledge

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif[/img]

ok:
    lsl = low dome emitter = close/medium range, round, even beam
    lsh = high dome emitter = longer throw, slightly squarish beam

lsl-p = same as lsl, but "premium", which means guaranteed white beam color, brighter, and les ha tint variations.
    lsh-p = same as lsh, but "premium", which means guaranteed white beam color, brighter, and les ha tint variations.
    (the high-domes have a tendancy to be brighter and whiter)

twisty = obsolete battery pack, obsolete because they aren't as reliable as clicky
    clicky = newer battery pack, uses a kroll tailswitch and is more reliable than the twisty

moon mode = when the battery level goes down, the ls switches into "moon mode" which, basically means it falls out of regulation, allowing you time to navigate out of a cave or whatever, rather than the light just dying all of a sudden.

superior? i think so, it is smaller, looks better, and the "premium" guarantees pick of the litter quality. the arcs (premium or not), have a tendancy for better quality.
    the only real advantage of the kl1 is cheaper, and the ability to use it on different lights.

the arc also has a better runtime than the e1e+kl1

Flashaholic*

Rothrandir,
    You are a wealth of knowledge. I appreciate your time. What is the runtime on a LS? I really need to stay off this forum coz it's gonna cost me. Between knive and lights I am really stayin broke [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img] Rothrandir you are only a stones throw away from me here in central Nebraska, So a hearty Cornhusker hello from your buddies to the west. Thanks for the info. dtsoll

here are brock's runtime charts

click on the led tab on the bottom to find the arc ls run-time

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

and hello to you to [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Rothrandir said:
    lsl-p = same as lsl, but "premium", which means guaranteed white beam color, brighter, and les ha tint variations.
    lsh-p = same as lsh, but "premium", which means guaranteed white beam color, brighter, and les ha tint variations.
    (the high-domes have a tendancy to be brighter and whiter)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to warn people that the Premium models DO NOT guarantee a white beam color. I have seen some right from the factory that this is not the case. I have seen violet to blue tint. I even have a LSH-P That is significantly dimmer than my LS1 hybrid and LS2 Blem.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but I just don't want failed expectations from Arc customers.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Best regards,
    Randy

Flashaholic*

Agreed,

Just a reminder that LEDs still have a lot of variability. At Arc, we hand sort them to use the best units. But there still is some variation.

Peter

sorry, i understand white is subjective.

i should have said "whiter" i guess.

Flashaholic

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] your only good option is to buy BOTH !

[ QUOTE ]
    Rothrandir said:
    go not to the flashaholics for counsel, for they will say buy this and that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dan

Flashaholic*

If you want a light with throw, you want a high dome LS. That means you want the Arc since SF doesn't offer a high dome LED head. But you should get both the Arc LSH-P and the KL1 since you are a flashaholic after all, aren't you? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Rothrandir said:
    the arcs (premium or not), have a tendancy for better quality.
    the only real advantage of the kl1 is cheaper, and the ability to use it on different lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to respectfully disagree.
    I own upwards of 15 SureFires and have only had to return one for a quality issue.
    Out of the less than 10 Arcs I've had I've had to return 4.
    I've also found that SureFire seems to have better LED consistency.
    I'd like to say that my experiences weren't typical but from what I've read on here in the last year, I can't.

I'll also add that the KL1 will run on from 3V all the way up to 9V.

as of late, i have found less and less post about arc consistancy, and more and more about sf...

the new qc procedure from arc has put them ahead imho.

I am a surefireholic and plan to buy more such as L2/KL4/KL5/KL6. And now I commence my addict to ARC too.
    But I still need to wait for another week for my LE and LSHP to arrive. As you can see I already can't wait to
    add them under my name. The LE and the LSHP are simply two
    lights I can't resist and I 've heard a lotta good about them. I shall find out how good they could be soon. I agree you should get both the KL1 and the LSHP. My KL1 should arrive afterwards. 2003 seems to be a big scoring year. So many things to expect. And also there will be LS4. Darn, these guys are gonna make us broke.