Acebeam        

Thread: LED color on Inova X5T

Flashaholic

Default LED color on Inova X5T

I just purchased a Inova X5T, but have would like opinions on LED color.
    I purchased the white-LED model. I realized that "pure-white" is hard to get in a LED, but am a bit surprised at how blue/purple the light "seems" to be. I am wondering if LED's can be differenct enough between models that I might want to go back to the store and try out several x5t models...to see if one is whiter than the one I have.
    Thoughts?

BTW, CPF is awesome...It's great to be able to interact with other folks who love lights!

Default Re: LED color on Inova X5T

My is exactly the same, tried three different ones and they looked about the same. Purplish/blue....Bluish/purple. First post eh? Welcome to the CPF! ( not another Flatlander... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

Cosmic Superchunk

I own 3 of these lights and I still consider the Inova X5T is one of my personal favorites. I own an original X5 (white LED), an X5T with fluted body (blue LED) and the current X5T with the octagonal body (white LED). Of my 2 white LED samples, the original X5 is the whitest. The X5T has the typical bluish tint and so do most of the other samples I've seen, but the light is certainly usable.

Flashaholic

Default That\'s pretty typical...

...I've seen several white Inovas that tend towards the violent, ah, violet... end of the spectrum. I bet that you won't notice it at all in actual use. The X5t is a great little light.

Hi Tech,

Like you, I was surprised at how violet the X5T light was. I tried 5 lights from 4 different suppliers and found there was only a very slight difference between the bluishness (is that a real word!?.

I noticed that the 2 'lights where the hue was less violet probably only appeared to be so as the central area of light was more diffuse. On 3 samples with a tight dot in the centre, the violet tint seems more intense.

There seem to be two different designs of "i" on the black rubber. I found that with the 2 models where the embossed "i" is almost the whole diameter of the on/off rubber, the 5 LED's had a more diffuse focus, than the models I tried with an "i" extending just over halfway over the centre of the rubber. On the numbers sampled this finding could just be coincidence. Other CPF'ers might have insiders knowledge of this! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Like you I could not beleive my luck when I discovered CPF! Now waiting for my KL1 to fit on my SF E2, sounds like colours on the KL1 are even more of a lottery though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img]

Cheers, Jonathan [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Also, your eyes get used to the bluish color of white LEDs after a while. When I first starting using them, I didn't like them, and thought that objects looked a little strange in their light. After a few weeks they appeared much more natural to me than before, and I now strongly prefer them to any yellowish incandescent color.

I just purchased an X5T and am very impressed with the whiteness of the light. I thought my ARC AAA was white.
    The Inova is MUCH whiter than the ARC which now looks pathetically purple. Go back to the store and try some other X5's...there are some good ones around.