Newbie qn: How does the Coast LED Lenser v12 compare with the P2D CE?

aranyak

Newly Enlightened
Hi, this is my first post, tho I've spent a fair bit of time reading the absolutely fascinating threads on LED lights :)
Picked up this Coast LED Lenser LED v12 flashlight (uses 2AA batteries.) from Fry's in Feb07 for 19USD, the only thing I remember is that each of the LEDs (it is a 3 LED flashlight) were rated at .3 watts each. I really didn't know much about the choices available at the time. If someone has this flashlight or knows the details, please do share.

The reason I ask is that I want a flashlight substantially brighter than this, and wanted to know how the Fenix P2D CE would compare with this one.

The only details I have are from this website: http://www.flash-lights.com/product....html/XTCsid/6155425355d320bfcfb063b2b3088be8
Says the light output is 47.5 mw..how does this convert to lumens?

Help appreciated!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How does it compare?

It probably doesn't.

The Fenix L2D-CE Q5 would be much much brighter(That is probably the one you are looking for, 2AA powered, 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8").

First of all, it uses one of the brightest and most efficient High power LED, the Cree XR-E Q5.

The 3 LEDs in the Coast probably put out a total of around 50 lumen max at the emitter. The L2D-CE Q5 will match that output on medium and be almost 4 times brighter on turbo(150 something lumens out the front).

Of course, price is also there.

The L2D would be a great way to kick off this new hobby.

The current genereation LEDs, The Cree XR-E P4-R2 bin, Seoul P4 U-bin, and Luxeon Rebel 100, are all twice or more efficient then the previous generation LEDs, The Luxeon I, III, V and K2, which means for the same power, the newer LEDs will give twice the output with no less runtime.

There are also cheaper lights available, just look for ones getting good reviews and you probably won't be disappointed. One of these sites is Dealextreme(Shipping will take about a month, just look in the Cree, Seoul, Rebel section).

:welcome:

Newuser01

Enlightened
==>The Fenix L2D-CE Q5 would be much much brighter this Coast LED Lenser LED v12 flashlight (uses 2AA batteries.) (it is a 3 LED flashlight)===<<

:crackup::crackup: Haha !! Understatement of the century!!
That is in line with is the "automobil" head light is brighter than the one lit candle!!.

But here is a though. Go pick up a 2 AA Rayovac sportsman extreme (any version for about 20 bucks more or less) from walmart and compare it. It will blow your mind and retinas.

Forget comparing it with L2D-CD Q5 which in itself is way brighter than what we are talking about here and its in a class of itself. The Coast led lenser 3 led is but a toy, nothing more.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
They are actually around the same output(The modded Coast lenser vs the L2D-CE Q5) but the Lenser has a narrower beam with no spill(so it will project further) and no modes. Each is great for their different tasks.

The modded lenser does have a good focusing system though.

What are you looking for in you next light?
Size?
Output?
Batteries?
Beam pattern(throw flood or in-between)?
Price?

Enjoy your stay!

Last edited:

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
^what he said. The (modded) Coast has greater throw because of its optical system, but there is similar overall light output between the two lights. The Fenix has a smaller reflector thus lowering its overall throw. However by keeping the reflector relatively small in the Fenix, the torch is uniform. This really makes it easier to carry.

edited twice for horrible grammar...damn I"m tired

Last edited:

aranyak

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys thanks for the inputs, so far what I have is: The Fenix L2D/P2D/P3D CE will all have way brighter output compared to the LED lenser I have and there isnt really a comparison between the two.
Gunner12, to answer your qn on what I'm looking for in a flashlight, mainly Output (more throw, less spill) and anything upto a 2xAA or 2x123A would be fine for size. Other factors like battery life, need to be above a basic threshold and need not be best in class.
I was thinking of the P3D CE since it seems to be the brightest, but it is expensive. Also, took your advice about the cheaper lights, and found the Romisen F4 at 15$ to be abslolutely irresistible! I've ordered one from dealextreme already ;) looks like im already hooked to LED flashlights.

ILikeShinyThings, thanks for the info, think I'll go for a stock light since this will be my first 'real' LED flashlight (discounting the LED lenser, apologies)

NewUser01, incidentally, are there any worthwhile flashlights at Walmart or Fry's that I can also look at?

<Can't wait to get my hands on the Romisen F4 :D, and thereafter who know, maybe a Fenix!>

djblank87

Enlightened
aranyak :welcome:

For a quality light at Frys I would say look at Inova products. Problem is that next month they will be coming out with a new T-series line of lights as far a newer LED and output options.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you really want all out throw(In a stock light), look at the Dereelight DBS with the 2SD pill(Will require a 18650 lithium rechargeable battery, there are also other pills that will accept 2 CR123 batteries but they won't be as bright).

Well, there aren't many reasonably price Cree lights in stores. I think Lowes has one.

I think you will like the F4, also look at the some of the AA powered lights if you want a easier to find and cheaper power source.

I would recommend buying CR123s online, they are only $1 each.

aranyak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks,
Gunner12, the DBS costs more than what I would like to plonk down for a flashlight (of course, these aren't JUST flashlights for us now are they :naughty:)
But I read the comparative review by selfbuilt and seems like the $28 dx cree projection/WF600 is a lot of throw for the money. I'm still waiting to get the F4, I'll have an idea of the build quality I can expect from DX after that. (also considering the Q5 upgraded version for 34$)
The battery type isnt too important for me because Im a really infrequent user of a flashlight, what I would prioritise over cost and availability would be power density of the battery to get the max brightness and reasonable runtimes.

I'm still reading up on these, but whats the best place to get 18650 lithium rechargeable cells? Are there non rechargeable versions too?

torchboy, do you know the light output of the Coast flashlight I have? (LED Lenser v12 comes with the 'light rod' attachment, 3 LEDs and takes 2xAA cells, is around 5.5" long)

PS. just had a look at 'got throw' and the HIDs look amazing! I've also spent about 6 hrs over the last 3 days reading on CPF ;)

thanks for all the posts guys

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Yeah, I'm not really sure why flashlights are so much addictive, but they kinda remind me of legos. We're all kids at heart right? Some of those DX lights are really a great bang for your buck. I wouldn't trust them in the field in a serious situation, but if you just like lighting up trees that are far away and blinding your friends when they walk around the corner, they will do just fine. Keep in mind that LEDs have doubled in output while also doubling in run-time in a very short amount of time, so it is safe to expect there will be lights in the next few months that will put our current peak competition to shame.

BTW, on a completely unrelated topic, have you ever seen "z-coil" commercials? I'm going on 16 hours straight at work and I'm getting delirious, but I would have no choice but to laugh if I saw somebody wearing those things in public. Ridiculous!!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
They quality of the DX lights depend a lot on the supplier so you can't really judge all of them by the quality of one. As long as you go with the ones getting good reviews, you should be fine.

There are no primary 18650s that I know off. Most would say AW's batteries are great. DX also has a few cheaper 18650 batteries(the mAh rating for most of them are much higher then the actual capacity).

I don't think there are any low priced Cree XR-E lights that you can walk into a store and buy.

aranyak

Newly Enlightened
Just got the RC-F4 and bought a set of batteries (Sanyo CR123A Primaries, 3V for 3.6USD each from retail) and this thing is BRIGHT! :faint: I had NO idea how much light this would put out..and this is supposed to be around 170lumens. Quite happy with the quality, tho occasionally the clickie doesn't work. No point even trying to compare with the LED lenser.. it must be less than a tenth of the brightness (just a wild guess)
I think I'm going to order the 3w DX cree projection next :). Thanks guys for all the help. Since there are already heaps of images and beamshots of this flashlight (RC-F4) not going to put up any more, mine came with an OP reflector. DX took 12 days to deliver (in stock)

Ilikeshineyshings: I don't know what the zcoil advert is, I'll look it up on YouTube. sounds like its worth a search!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm glad you like your light.

I would actually recommend the Aurora 600 with 18650 batteries and a charger. More output(Cree XR-E P4 vs Q5), tougher coating, metal reflector and the batteries would cost less in the long run. But, the 3W Cree Projection would be cheaper and you can get the batteries locally.

The clickie, is the retaining ring loose?