Fenix P1D CE Cree Q5 versus Seoul P4 lights

Ned-L

Enlightened
I have been looking at the newer lights to see if I can tempt myself to purchase another pocketable CR123A or CR2 light. I have a Firefly III upgraded with Seoul P4 and a JIL Intelli also upgraded with Seoul P4. I was wondering whether the Fenix P1D CE Q5 would be a good next pocket light? Should it be noticeably brighter at max output? Any other suggestions in the around $100 or less range? Thanks.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P1D CE Q5 may the my favorite light in the Powernoodle arsenal, and is my EDC. I cannot comment on how it compares to your others, but it is dang bright on high. I like the 3 output levels, as well as the strobe. Could do without SOS, but its last on the menu so its not in the way. It will run on an RCR123, but lo-medium-high will all function as high. Not much to dislike about this one, except that you can fry it if you put the battery in backward. I did this on an earlier P1 and saw smoke. Fenix store gave me a new one, so I cannot complain.

Ned-L

Enlightened
Thanks. I like what I hear about the new olive color type III annodizing. Sounds like a great little light especially with the Q5. Have I missed them or are there many posts discussing the special edition Q5 version?

Ned-L

Enlightened
Did you do this upgrade yourself? If not, who did it? I also have an FF3 I'd like to upgrade.
Kevin Lo (CPF: Goldserve) did the upgrades for me. He advertised various upgrade options for a while last spring, but then I think he may have stopped doing them.

Ned-L

Enlightened
Surely someone else has opinions about the Fenix P1D CE Cree Q5? Please share?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Cree Q5 in the P1D is brighter than the SSC P4.
My P1D CE with the Q5 LED is on my keyring. I also sometimes EDC my Piercelight M10 with a SSC upgrade. even on the highest setting the SSC is no match for the Q5. I like both. They are both significant developments in LED technology. The Fenix P1D CE Q5 is quite a special light!

Last edited:

Ned-L

Enlightened
The Cree Q5 in the P1D is brighter than the SSC P4.
My P1D CE with the Q5 LED is on my keyring. I also sometimes EDC my Piercelight M10 with a SSC upgrade. even on the highest setting the SSC is no match for the Q5. I like both. They are both significant developments in LED technology. The Fenix P1D CE Q5 is quite a special light!
I was thinking the same thing about the P1D CE Q5 but was wondering why I didn't find more posts praising its features and technology. It looks like a light that would compete with much more expensive lights for your primary EDC.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one of the silver P1D Q5 lights. its very nice and throws further than the modded FF3. it would be a great pocket light for most folks. that said, i love the floody beam of the FF3 and own 5 of them. carry one of them every day.

CandleFranky

Enlightened
I was thinking the same thing about the P1D CE Q5 but was wondering why I didn't find more posts praising its features and technology. It looks like a light that would compete with much more expensive lights for your primary EDC.
I have the P2D, a very powerful light. But lots of people are looking after something more "sexy", like the NITECORE Defender. Fenis products are very straight and mainstream. :bumpit:

Wicho

Enlightened
I just received my P1D Q5 on Friday and love it. It's BRIGHT, light and small. Bummer there were only black ones left when I bought mine - I would have loved the natural version.

About the only thing I don't like about it is that the hole for a split ring looks like it can break quite easily, but maybe it's much tougher than it looks. I won't be trying it, though.

I've played with it quite a bit in the three days I've had it - ran it on primaries and RCR's. Didn't get hot - warm yes, but not hot, and I ran it for about 5 minutes at a time on high.

All in all a great little light I'm very glad I bought. The output and beam compares very favorably to an L2D Q5 on turbo.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 silver's. For their size, tough to beat. Add the clicky from Leef and it's even better.

Ritch

Enlightened
I have one in natural. It's well machined and imho the brightest light in its size. Ordered a black one with smooth reflector (Lighthound) for my Leef body. Should be a pretty pocket thrower. ;)

richard

slo-ryd

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix is my EDC work light. I use it frequently throughout day inspecting under car repair needs. I'd like to be one of those who say they use it mostly on low...but thats not me. :grin2:
It's noticeably brighter in Turbo mode.

Outside at night the stippled reflector emits a nice balance of throw and a clean cone of spill.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast

don't worry about that, go ahead and get the P1D CE Q5. frequently I start to put a light on my belt, only to realize my pocket P1D CE blows away most other lights.

I do not own a more powerful single cell CR 123 light than the P1D CE.

Ned-L

Enlightened
I have 2 silver's. For their size, tough to beat. Add the clicky from Leef and it's even better.
Is the clicky from Leef a replacement body that someone else mentioned in their reply? Does it switch modes by multiple clicks without too much of a pause between clicks? Are the Leef clicky/bodies available through a online retailer or on CPF? Can you point me to any photos? Thanks.
Edit: I found the Leef bodies on Lighthound in black or raw aluminum - very nice looking. I imagine that the best choice is the black Leef body with a black P1 D CE Q5, which means I need to decide soon if they aren't going to make the black P1 D CE Q5s anymore. I don't suppose anyone just sells the P1D CE Q5 head?

Last edited:

Ned-L

Enlightened
The Fenix is my EDC work light. I use it frequently throughout day inspecting under car repair needs. I'd like to be one of those who say they use it mostly on low...but thats not me. :grin2:
It's noticeably brighter in Turbo mode.

Outside at night the stippled reflector emits a nice balance of throw and a clean cone of spill.
It didn't look like there was a choice of reflectors - is the stippled reflector standard?

slo-ryd

Newly Enlightened
It didn't look like there was a choice of reflectors - is the stippled reflector standard?

Not sure... mine came from Fenix-Store and has a MOP (Medium Orange Peel) reflector.
The regular P1D CE's I bought from PTS have smooth reflectors.

Ned-L

Enlightened
Not sure... mine came from Fenix-Store and has a MOP (Medium Orange Peel) reflector.
The regular P1D CE's I bought from PTS have smooth reflectors.
I just looked at Lighthound and they offer the P1D CE Q5 with smooth or textured reflector - :thinking: - is one more preferable generally than the other for edc type usage?