Fenix T1 versus Fenix P3D Q5

evi1joe

Newly Enlightened
The T1 is max rated at 225 lumens for 1.5 hours whereas the P3D is rated at 215 lumens for 1.8 hours.

Is the throw of the T1 much further than that of the P3D? The T1 says it throws beam "over 200 meters". I like the weight and versatility advantages of the P3D, since I'm using it for hiking (in addition to my 2 headlamps), but I'm wondering if it'll be as tough and powerful as the T1 (since they're about the same price). Maybe the T1 is a lot sturdier and uses a different lense/reflector for throw though. Anyone know?

Thanks.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The T1 is "sturdier", and uses a different reflector to give it greater throw. However, they are complete different lights for completely different purposes.

The T1 will easily light up a large area at 100m, but I don't have any personal experience with it past that.

For hiking though, I would recommend the P3D Q5 over the T1 due to it long runtime in low mode.

evi1joe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I have my headlamps for most stuff around the camp (low mode); I'm just wanting something lightweight with a lot of throw.

Is the T1 very heavy? Heavier than a mini-mag-light?

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Well I have handled one and it's not really heavy but it has a little heft to it. But the heft comes from the built like a tank thick body. I want one and will get one soon but I have other prioritys first. I would go for the T1 if a light handheld thrower.

-Evan

mr.squatch

Enlightened
T1 - 5.39 oz
G2 - 4.1 oz
6P - 5.3 oz
AA minimag with batts 3.7 oz

I held a T1 in one hand and a 6P in the other and they were nearly identical in feel, weight and space in the hand. The T1 was very nice. Thanks to Lighthound for letting us fondle :)

g

meuge

Enlightened
Thanks! I have my headlamps for most stuff around the camp (low mode); I'm just wanting something lightweight with a lot of throw.

Is the T1 very heavy? Heavier than a mini-mag-light?
It is heavier than the minimag indeed... but it feels like it should be. The difference isn't so great... and it's still light enough to pack (not to mention small), and the relative heft is merely reassuring. Personally, I'd much rather hike with it, versus the minimag (which is the reason I bought it in the first place).

I think for your purposes, it'll serve VERY well. And for emergencies, the ~12 hours of 50+ lumens on low, isn't shabby either.

Last edited:

evi1joe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all. Now that it's finally cooled off here in Florida, I'm getting an PT Apex pro (maybe a regular) to do a Seoul P4 mod and a Fenix T1 to replace my Nuwai 3watt (though I'll still have my little Petzl Tikka around camp).

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you really want throw, look at a more throw oriented light like the Dereelight DBS(It is bigger though, around minimag length but thicker and heftier).

The T1 is a good choice though. Don't forget the 8% off coupon at Fenix Store, "CPF8".