older surefire L1 for $50 - should i buy it?

MstrHnky

Enlightened
i started a thread a while ago about a friend who works at gander mountain and could use his employee discount on surefire's they sell.

turns out, they have a surefire L1 that has been their display model for several months, but he said less than a year, and since he found the box he can now sell it. i can get it for $50, but i don't know any variables, ie. what condition it's in, scratches, etc., what generation it is, probably not the newest - when was the new L1 released?

would there be anything written on the box to indicate what generation it is?

can i upgrade anything?

what is covered under surefire's warranty (in case the optics are scratched)?

for $50, it's not that big of an investment, but i'd rather not waste my money on an inferior light vs saving for the newer model at a later date. i currently own a lowe's task force 2C white star cree, and jetbeam cl-e v2. next, i want a thrower (ordered an aurora wf-600 w/Q5 cree, but was refunded because the item was backordered). i know this isn't a thrower by any means, but it IS a surefire, and it would be nice to own one some day.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Oh, yeah. SureFire's warranty is this:

Batteries or bulbs - you replace. They take care of everything else.

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
If its an older one with 4 flat sides get it and send it to Milkyspit to mod.

You will then have a great light!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If the body is round not with flats in it is a newer model. Like everyone has said grab it! The L1 in any configuration is a great light and for $50 its a steal

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any version of the L1 is a very good light. A new display model for $50 is a very good price.

BTW, that is quite an employee discount.

Any other SF's for over half off?

Buy it!

Mark

MstrHnky

Enlightened
i told him to go ahead and pick it up for me. i will be sure to post pics of it when i get it. it might be a week from now.

hopefully i'll have some options with it, such as a milky upgrade.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
If you don't like it, I'll reimburse you + cost for your "expenses"! So it's a no lose situation for you! :thumbsup:

I'd bet the money won't have to leave my wallet though! :D

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what is known in the vernacular as a "sumgai" find. You enter into an Outdoors store that is having a 50% off sale on EVERYTHING... you quickly visit the flashlight section and see a Surefire sticker. You inquire if they have any L1's. "Sorry, some guy just came in and bought our last case of L1's at $50 a piece." That's the "sumgai" syndrome. (Naturally, that was the only model they had left, too). "Was it a guy named Scott?" "Come to think of it, yeah... and he left some milky looking spit on the floor."

Sometimes you get lucky and get to be the sumgai. But most of the time, you're arriving moments after he'd just cleaned up and left. ;) So, you're the sumgai this time who's getting a like-new Surefire L1 for only $50. Congrats! :twothumbs

Last edited:

BigD64

Enlightened
Buy it and send it to Milky for a special Milkyspit upgrade. You will have your favorite light of all time.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hell, at that price I'd get it, and I have little sympathy for SureFire.

Then again, I'd probably resell it on eBay for a nice profit...

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a bargain, what are you waiting for? :party: $50 is an excellent price for an L1, even if it is not the current production model.

Regards,
Tempest