24 volts ok with Maglite C\D cell switches?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm referring to the stock switches before any serious modifications are done to them. ;)
Just wondering as there are a few light sources in that voltage range and battery types that can provide that amount of voltage to power them with.
Anyone have experience with how far these switches can be pushed?

Thanks. :)

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm referring to the stock switches before any serious modifications are done to them. ;)
Just wondering as there are a few light sources in that voltage range and battery types that can provide that amount of voltage to power them with.
Anyone have experience with how far these switches can be pushed?

Thanks. :)

It's not the volts you should worry about. It's the amps that'll melt the switch . I bet you could put 100v through if the current was super low.

The switch has been known to melt at about 5amps or so.

The post part of the switch is safe till about 40ish watts of heat and then it starts to deform.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not the volts you should worry about. It's the amps that'll melt the switch . I bet you could put 100v through if the current was super low.

The switch has been known to melt at about 5amps or so.

The post part of the switch is safe till about 40ish watts of heat and then it starts to deform.

How about if the switch is soldered at the positive tab and on the flat spot right above the setscrew? (Just idle curiousity, becasue the last mag I did I soldered like that draws a whopping two watts.)

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about if the switch is soldered at the positive tab and on the flat spot right above the setscrew? (Just idle curiousity, becasue the last mag I did I soldered like that draws a whopping two watts.)

Huh? I don't get your question. 2 watts that's nothing.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh? I don't get your question. 2 watts that's nothing.

Can the mag switch handle appreciably more current if you solder nearer to the switch itself, rather than forcing the current through unnecessary and probably relatively high impedance parts of the mag's switch assembly?