Cree Q5 VS R2

claustro

Newly Enlightened
DealExtreme XR-E Q5 Emitter on Premium Star 4 leds 36 $ shipped
Cutter.com.au XR-E R2 Bare Emitter 4 leds 54 $ shipped

Is worth to take the R2 over the Q5 for a such big price difference?
If not do you think it will be possible to remove the q5 from the Premium star or otherwise fi the premium star on Perfect XR19 Cree Heatsink

Thank you
Andrea

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IMO, not worth the price, wait till the R4s come out.

It would be hard to remove the bare emitters from the stars according to what I've heard. Maybe a different heatsink?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've removed a few emitters off of stars with no damage to them. I put the star gently in a vise and applied heat with a propane torch to the bottom of it. At the same time I applied pressure with an X-acto knife to the edge of the emitter, when the solder softened it lifted up.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
DealExtreme XR-E Q5 Emitter on Premium Star 4 leds 36 $ shipped
Cutter.com.au XR-E R2 Bare Emitter 4 leds 54 $ shipped

Is worth to take the R2 over the Q5 for a such big price difference?
If not do you think it will be possible to remove the q5 from the Premium star or otherwise fi the premium star on Perfect XR19 Cree Heatsink

Thank you
Andrea
I sure wouldn't pay that premium for the R2 LEDs. In a few months R2's will be yesterday's news with a newer bin commanding all the coin.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
basicly, wait for the r4 to come out, then buy the r3, lol.
or for now, settle for the q5, it's plenty of light!

Yapo

Enlightened
wow i never realised there was an australian site selling the lastest cree stuff!!! they even have a tri led PCB and tri led optic!!!

henry33

Newly Enlightened
Don't really have an opinion one way or the other, but if you get the Q5 from Dealextreme, there's the bulk rate for 3+. It's $7.85 each for 3+ plus an extra $1.70 for shipping. Total of $33.10 instead of $36. Go for 5 and it's $7.75 each plus the 1.70 or $40.45.

paulr

Flashaholic
I thought someone did some tests and the DX leds weren't as bright as Cutter leds with the supposedly same bin code :eek:.

Latest posts