Cree xr-e or modded AA MiniMag

norymeoreason41

Newly Enlightened

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all: :welcome:

My suggestion is to keep your Minimag as a backup and get yourself a new light. And if you like that CREE why don't you start with it?

You will have plenty of time to learn new things about flashlights but if for whatever reason you have come to like that one, get it! :)

:wave:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second that. Maybe drop a SMJLED into the minimag, brighter than stock with great runtime (20+ hours easy).

Give a look towards dealextreme.com for some killer cree lights at great prices. I've got a few. Actually dropped a new board and Q5 into the sku1892 with a P4 and it was a huge improvement! Got some 14500 li-ions coming and I'm hoping they give it a nice boost over the LSD NiMH AA in there now!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How about this instead of either of them?(Cheaper then the all battery and uses 2 AA batteries, review)

The Terralux Drop-in is also a good option.

Cree XR-E is just the LED not a company. The Cree XR-E P4-R2 bin LEDs are a part of the current generation LEDs(Whic are twice or more efficient then the last generation).

For lower priced current generation LED flashlights, I would suggest well reviewed lights on Dealextreme or Kaidomain. Shipping will take about a month though.

:welcome:

iggs

Newly Enlightened
I've modded a aa minimag with the teralux drop in. It works ok, a lot brighter but there are problems with the heatsinking (i.e. there isn't any). If your going to go down this route then you need to buy a tailcap clicky switch (beware the one that gives you various levels reduced the maximum light output) and then search for the heatsinking mod on the forum using a bit of metal inder the drop in.

I've just brought a Fenix L2D Q5 from here http://fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_l2d_q5.html and its outrageously good. No really its outstanding. I can't belive how good it is. I'm using it as a helmet light for mountain biking and its perfect, its close to as good as a mountain bike specific light of similar dimensions and brightness that costs £150

Just my 2p's worth

Hope it helps

Ian

norymeoreason41

Newly Enlightened
How about this instead of either of them?(Cheaper then the all battery and uses 2 AA batteries, review)

The Terralux Drop-in is also a good option.

Cree XR-E is just the LED not a company. The Cree XR-E P4-R2 bin LEDs are a part of the current generation LEDs(Whic are twice or more efficient then the last generation).

For lower priced current generation LED flashlights, I would suggest well reviewed lights on Dealextreme or Kaidomain. Shipping will take about a month though.

:welcome:

Thanks for the advice. Now I'm leaning toward that! So, I'm guessing this is a pretty good starter light? Can I put Lithium Ion batteries in it? Obviously, I'm a total noob!

roymail

Enlightened
You've already gotten good advice. Modding the MM is just putting off the inevitable. A Fenix light would be a good next step up. :thumbsup:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Do you mean Lithium AA batteries as in 1.5v(Actually 1.7v) or the 14500 batteries which are 3.7v.

The light will work with 2 Lithium AA batteries but two Lithium Ion batteries will fry the light. One lithium ion battery would work though.

If you have Lithium Ion batteries, which kind do you have? 18650s, RCR123s, 17670 etc.

It would be a good low price starter light.

norymeoreason41

Newly Enlightened
Do you mean Lithium AA batteries as in 1.5v(Actually 1.7v) or the 14500 batteries which are 3.7v.

The light will work with 2 Lithium AA batteries but two Lithium Ion batteries will fry the light. One lithium ion battery would work though.

If you have Lithium Ion batteries, which kind do you have? 18650s, RCR123s, 17670 etc.

It would be a good low price starter light.

I'm actually talking about Lithium AA. Not lithium ion. I'm learning alot! Okay, I'm going to order that light today. Thanks everyone for the help!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The minimag or the Romisen?

If you mean the Romisen, then all you will have to do is remove the 2AA extension and run it with 1 RCR123. Or use a 14500 and an extension.

If you are speaking of the minimag, then you will need a spacer.

norymeoreason41

Newly Enlightened
The minimag or the Romisen?

If you mean the Romisen, then all you will have to do is remove the 2AA extension and run it with 1 RCR123. Or use a 14500 and an extension.

If you are speaking of the minimag, then you will need a spacer.

I was talking about the Romisen, good to know on that. But for future reference, where do I buy spacers?