$33 extra just for Q5? (Tiablo A8)

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I missing something here? :shrug:

The Tiablo A8 is $95 with 210 Lumens. The Tiablo A8 with Q5 is $128 with 250 Lumens. Is there something else different between the lights other than the Q5 emitter and the slightly different labeling / printing on the light? It seems like I could but the standard A8 for $95, buy a Q5 LED for about $10, swap it in, and have a Q5 for $105. :eek:oo: What makes it worth an extra $23? :thinking:

Zenster

Enlightened
Well, over 60 views with no responses so I'll jump in and give you my .02 lumens.

I think it's false economy to get the lesser light and then have to go and buy another LED plus screw around with changing it out.
You immediately void the warranty, you run the risk of damaging the electronics while soldering, and if you don't mount it exactly right, the light will be substandard when you're done.
Too much risk for so little return.

That cheaper price is pretty darn good for a Tiablo, so what you might also consider is buying it and just using it as is.
It's still a great light even with that older emitter, and what you can do is to wait a few months and perhaps Tiablo will offer an upgrade module with the R5 emitter and for a lot less than the cost of a new light, you could then have yourself a heckuva upgrade.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That's why I loke how Dereelight thinks, when the newer LEDs come out, all you will have to pay is about $30 for a new module instead of a new light.

I think the extra cost is all marketing.

Patriot

Flashaholic
What makes it worth an extra $23? :thinking:

I count an extra $33......but to answer your question I think it's just a product of marketing. People will pay the extra for the Q5 so they price it that way. We all know that the difference in actually cost between the emitters in next to nothing so if you're a modding fool and don't mind voiding your warranty I say go for it. :) My eye can't even see the difference between the two emitters though.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
They aren't the only company doing this. How about the original HDS U60XRGT compared to just the U60. The only difference was that the XRGT had "extended runtime" which ment it had a LED with a low VF, and it had "guaranteed tint" which ment it most likely had a XO/WO tint LED. They charged an EXTRA $40 for the XRGT when the LED used in that light was most likely worth less than $15. Also how about ARC charging $15 more for their Premium model because it uses a CS (now DS) LED which is worth around $1.
I think Tiablo is following in their footsteps, because most current manufacturers are charging only slightly more for their premium edition lights that use top of the line LEDs. I think an extra $5-$10 over the non Q5 edition seems like a fair price for getting a Q5.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I count and extra $33......but to answer your question I think it's just a product of marketing. People will pay the extra for the Q5 so they price it that way. We all know that the difference in actually cost between the emitters in next to nothing so if you're a modding fool and don't mind voiding your warranty I say go for it. :) My eye can't even see the difference between the two emitters though.
Yes, I know it's basically $33 since at most the Q5 emitter is $1-2 more than a lower bin in the quantities a flashlight maker is buying, but I was being generous. :whistle:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That cheaper price is pretty darn good for a Tiablo, so what you might also consider is buying it and just using it as is.
It's still a great light even with that older emitter, and what you can do is to wait a few months and perhaps Tiablo will offer an upgrade module with the R5 emitter and for a lot less than the cost of a new light, you could then have yourself a heckuva upgrade.
That's one theory... Of course it is contingent on them actually making upgrades available. They haven't done so yet, so I'm a little hesitant to bank on that. :mecry:

Zenster

Enlightened
That's one theory... Of course it is contingent on them actually making upgrades available. They haven't done so yet, so I'm a little hesitant to bank on that. :mecry:

Well, to expand upon my point... The 220 lumen output of the A8 is hugely more than anyone needs. If you do some searching, you'll find a thread here where people discuss how 20 to 60 lumens is all they ever really want for most purposes.
So my point is that even if Tiable never got around to offering an upgrade, you'd still have a helluva light that will serve you well for the foreseeable future. And at a bargain price for one of the best quality built lights currently available.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
From now on, I will not buy a light unless it has the Q5/R2 etc led in it. Three times now, I have bought a light, only to have the same light come out in a Q5 2 weeks (once 1 day) later. (Lumapower) I like the fact that the new Tiablo (A6?) is coming out as a Q5 version.

slo-ryd

Newly Enlightened
The 220 lumen output of the A8 is hugely more than anyone needs. If you do some searching, you'll find a thread here where people discuss how 20 to 60 lumens is all they ever really want for most purposes.

IMO the amount of light one needs is based on personal taste. Some people are perfectly satisfied driving a car with a 4 cyl. Mine was a nitrous injected V8 and I like my flashlights the same way. I bought several P1D CE's to give away as Christmas gifts that don't put out near the light my Q5 model does. I wasn't happy with them, but the recipients were thrilled.... of course they had been using stock AA Mags. :whistle:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Demand drives prices up. People want a Q5 and people are willing to pay for its additional performance. There IS additional changes aside from the LED, but none that would significantly affect cost (slight changes to the driver to account for the higher VF of the Q5, really just a slightly larger inductor).

This is still a deal compared to a Lumapower MRV Q5 that sells for $165 and I believe in all reports I've seen, the Tiablo outthrows the MRV, yet costs considerably less.

slo-ryd

Newly Enlightened
Well, there goes the Mercedes he was gonna get. :ohgeez:

Ok, you lost me...

They were buying 2-AA Energizers to fill their Minimags and getting 1/5 the light output. Whereas now they carry a smaller,much brighter multi-mode light using one battery.
A coworker and I split a bulk of (50) 123's. The $1.14 each included shipping. I think they're even cheaper now.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is still a deal compared to a Lumapower MRV Q5 that sells for $165 and I believe in all reports I've seen, the Tiablo outthrows the MRV, yet costs considerably less.
Well, you don't see me buying one of them either. :crackup:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, you lost me...
The local battery dealer was going to get rich selling extremely overpriced CR123A batteries, :naughty: but since you gave them batteries now he won't be able to afford his Mercedes. :mecry:

slo-ryd

Newly Enlightened
The local battery dealer was going to get rich selling extremely overpriced CR123A batteries, :naughty: but since you gave them batteries now he won't be able to afford his Mercedes. :mecry:

Ahh.. lolol