Opinions on the Nitcore DI vs. new Photon Proton Pro

bltkmt

Enlightened
Looking for some comparisons of the two from anyone that has both. I have (and love) the DI...love its simple UI, AA battery format and the ability to set it as a simple 2-stage light with a VERY low "low". Great light. Would like another light of this type and "think" that the new Proton Pro can do similar things, right? Are there others that I am missing in AA or AAA format?

Much appreciated.

bltkmt

Enlightened
Why do you say they are in different categories? Both are AA based programable lights, right?

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe the Proton has a memory setting for the specific brightness level set, so it wouldn't really be considered programmable in that sense.

bltkmt

Enlightened
Aahhh...I did not realize that. I see your point now. As for the LiteFlux recommendations, I have tried those previously and have proven myself not capable of grasping their UI.

Any others that might function as a simple 2-stage light (AA or AAA), where the low is very low?

I don't believe the Proton has a memory setting for the specific brightness level set, so it wouldn't really be considered programmable in that sense.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go get the Photon Pro!!!

I have the DI and am very impressed with the output (on just about any AA cell or even 14500). This is a fantastic light IMO. After seeing what the new AA lights can offer, I just don't want to deal with CR123's any more if I don't have to.

The Pro looks to be a great AA light and I am looking to get one after reading several owner comments and reviews. It is nice to be able to easily adjust the light output with only one hand (I have a Photon ReX) and the Pro side switch is a nice change of pace. I like to continuously change the brightness levels depending on the environment. The Pro seems well made and not too bulky for pocket carry. Another plus is that there are several dealers in the states that carry the Pro should warrenty be needed.

The only thing I would prefer is if the Pro was able to both ramp up and down with the white light instead of just ramping down. I think LRI should offer a "basic" model of the Pro without the red LED and have the ability to ramp the light up. This would even save them money.

Last edited:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, I like the Photon pro a bit better. It's not brighter than the Nitecore, but feels better in the hand and the usability is much easier.

The throw of the Pro is impressive as well.
They're both great lights, but the PRO rides in my pocket 90% of the time.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh - sure skalomax - push me a little bit more towards purchasing this light!!!! So it sounds like the output is pretty close between the two? As long as they are close is good enough since I think the DI is very bright and I rarely use the highest setting.

How is the tint on the Pro?

Last edited:

frank777

Enlightened
I have the Proton PRO, and I do not care for it much. The tint on the light is very greenish, it has a strobing effect on all but the highest level, and with the beltclip removed, the tailcap is too small to grip, making it very difficult to tighten and loosen the tailcap. The beam is NOT smooth, and has artifacts and rings.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Proton PRO, and I do not care for it much. The tint on the light is very greenish, it has a strobing effect on all but the highest level, and with the beltclip removed, the tailcap is too small to grip, making it very difficult to tighten and loosen the tailcap. The beam is NOT smooth, and has artifacts and rings.

The tint on my Pro is very warm. It's like I hit the LED lottery with this light. And yes, for the wall hunters, the light does have rings...:rolleyes: But I have mine in my pocket and use it outside at night and in my truck.

**cough**rings don't affect real life**cough**:laughing:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than the use of a AA battery these lights are nothing alike. Since you already have the DI, I'll tell you a little about the Proton Pro (PP from now on) and you can decide if it is still what you are looking for.
The PP is quite a bit smaller than the DI and weighs less as well. It has a smoother feel since it has no knurling, but is still very easy to grip because of the ribbing along most of the light. The beam pattern is very different as well. It has a smaller hotspot than the DI but is more intense. It also has a very obvious ring around the hotspot since it uses a smooth reflector. The tint on my specific unit looks white by itself, but compared to the DI it looks quite green. Some may like this aspect of the light and consider it "warm". I guess this is just personal preference.
The PP has no memory mode at all. It turns on in its highest white setting if the side clickie is clicked the released, and turns on in its lowest red setting if the side clickie is clicked and held. After that just hold the tailcap to either decrease (white) or increase (red) the level of output. The DI has a very low level of output on its lowest level, but the low level on the PP is even lower! My lightbox registers a 10 for the lowest level on the DI, and a 3 for the lowest level on the PP. That would make the low level on the DI around 2 lumens and the lowest on the PP around .6 lumens. The red LED on the PP can be so low that it doesn't even register on my lightbox! Honestly it is probably dimmer than the LED on your Televisions remote control. On the highest setting of the red LED it is around 4 lumens or so, and has a pretty ugly beam. This doesn't matter much in real use, but if you are really picky it will bother you. In terms of overall output on their highest setting the DI gives the PP a pretty good beating, which is expected since it uses a Q5 and drives the LED a bit harder. My DI registers a 510 on my lightbox, while the PP only is a 316 both on Energizer Lithium cells. That would make the DI around 102 lumens and the PP around 63.
I would give the nod to the DI in terms of regular EDC, but the PP easily wins if you are planning on going hiking/backpacking and need a light that can last nearly forever on a single cell, and preserve your night vision if need be. I really like both lights and am glad I own both of them. If you really have to think about it this much... I say you buy it! :thumbsup:

paulr

Flashaholic
Thanks for the very informative summaries from Regulator and Adirondackdestroyer. I was on the early list for a low priced DI but passed it up because some of the merchandising approach bugged me, and also early reviews were not so favorable. I guess I did the right thing for my purposes. I wonder what flux bin the PP uses and whether it's easily moddable once the R4's come out. I've always liked LRI and I have about 10 Photons of various types and colors, but since I've also bought hundreds of Fauxton imitators over the years, maybe I'll buy a PP just as a thankyou (plus it's a cool light even if not my usual style).

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I can't comment for some of the dislikes some have expressed. It's obviously a personal opinion and what it right for you may not be right for others, as with anything. I will, however, comment on the comment about the tint being too green. This is not limited to the Pro. This is common in every Cree-based light I've seen. You happened to get unlucky in the lottery. I had several Pro's pass thru my hands and like every other Cree light, no 2-tints have been the same. There are very white Pro's out there, although I understand that's not comforting to those who purchase one unit and get unlucky. I guess my point is that I don't want others to think that if they get Pro that they're destined to get green one.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Adirondackdestroyer. Interesting to hear that the Pro feels smaller than the DI since I think the DI is pretty small already. Thanks for your comparison info.

I always hope for a good white light but by experience I know that it can be hit or miss on any light. I once received a Fenix P3D that had a dull greenish tint and I was disappointed. My second P3D was absolutely pure white and was MUCH brighter - go figure. From TIN's pictures it looks like the emitter might be easy to swap if you wanted to upgrade which is a good thing.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Adirondackdestroyer. Interesting to hear that the Pro feels smaller than the DI since I think the DI is pretty small already. Thanks for your comparison info.

I always hope for a good white light but by experience I know that it can be hit or miss on any light. I once received a Fenix P3D that had a dull greenish tint and I was disappointed. My second P3D was absolutely pure white and was MUCH brighter - go figure. From TIN's pictures it looks like the emitter might be easy to swap if you wanted to upgrade which is a good thing.

No problem. I'll take a pic in a few minutes to show size comparison. The Proton Pro is unbelievably small and light for a AA sized light.

I guess I shouldn't have mentioned that the Proton Pro has a slight green tint compared to my DI. When it comes to the tint of a specific light I guess the only way to really guarantee a true white tint is to get WC bin. I have seen 4 different lights that have Q5 WC and all of them have been incredibly white and pretty much exactly the same.