Am I crazy for wanting another L1?

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to admit, I am totally in love with the L1. I have had a lot of lights - heck I *have* a lot of lights, quite a few of them Surefires. But there have been a few Fenixi (gone), Tiablos (gone) Dereelight (gone) Lumapower (still got one - the LM31) and Wolfeyes, which is the best Chinese light going, I think. Plus there are a few HIDs floating around here. But by far my favorite light out of all of them is the L1. Perfect, white beam, great size, lots of output if you want it, not much if you don't. Mindlessly simple to operate.

I want another for my car (which already has five lights in it), and one for my wife and daughter.

The only light I could think of to beat it would be if SF cree-ified the L2. And it would still be not much fun to carry.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Hmm...I don't think it's insane. I'm a fan of the 6P/G2 family. But then, I'm also a fan of single 1x123 lights as well.

Get what you like. That's the best part of SureFire - there's something that everyone can enjoy.

-Steve

manoloco

Enlightened
how much better and why is it compared to your novatac 85p? (iirc you posted about one by the time i was doing research on L1 and Novatacs)

elt1

Newly Enlightened
Nope.
Order another one.
Then buy an older L1 and get it customized by Milky.
Repeat as necessary...

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
how much better and why is it compared to your novatac 85p? (iirc you posted about one by the time i was doing research on L1 and Novatacs)

OK, yeah, that's right. I had a Novatac 85P and sold it.

The beam is more well-defined on the L1, and it is whiter. That's the lottery though - it could have very well been the reverse in terms of tint. The user interface is better *for me* on the L1 - a simple two stage. There are two schools of thought on this. Some like the programmability of the Novatac. I like simplicity, and the L1 is dirt simple.

There is nothing to choose between them in terms of quality - both are just awesome.

The Novatac is smaller. The knurling is less aggressive. The finish is gone off my Fisher Bullet Pen from living in the same pocket as the L1. But I love it - it's very grippy. So I guess you take the good with your bare Space Pen :)

Really, it's a matter of personal preference. The only programmable light I ever had that I liked was the LionHeart, and like the idiot I am, I sold it.

So go ahead and buy either.

manoloco

Enlightened
thanks for the info, in fact i went ahead and bought a novatac 120p some weeks ago, i love it, but sometimes there is flickering in the very low levels (below 0.33 lumens) its been less lately but who knows.

i was contemplating saving money for a future buy of an L1 (i too im a sucker for KISS concept in the right tools), right now i just got an HDS EDC that im planning to mod and that left me dry for flashlights.

the other problem for me is that i would really like to use my AW R123s but it would be forcing the circuit of the L1 too much

scottaw

Enlightened
*cough* i've had FIVE this year *cough*

I sold all but my smoothie ML-1 and my Cree But trust me, those 2 aren't going ANYWHERE. Any the wifey wants a new light, so maybe i'll be back up to 3.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
I agree. You should try an ML1 and you'll never go back.

I have two ML1s, and my L1 Cree is at Milky labs (has been for a while:mecry:, which is the only reason I'm tempted to buy another myslef).

I like the L1 cree, but the low was too bright much of the time and it could be brighter in High.

So, Milky is making the High twice as bright, and the Low half as bright.

*cough* three for me too. All Milky L1's.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had three. Two ML1's and a CREE L1. I'm now down to one ML-1 which ain't going nowhere. What I had Milky do to mine, I'm real happy with. It's like a stock L1 on steroids. :duck:It and my Novatac 120P are my EDC lights. I never leave home without them.

ML1TIR.jpg
Dsc00070.jpg

Last edited:

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
Seem that you are not alone at all ...
Will be getting another L1 soon, as the first went on a long term loan to my brother ... That make 2 L1s within 2 months

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had three. Two ML1's and a CREE L1. I'm now down to one ML-1 which ain't going nowhere. What I had Milky do to mine, I'm real happy with. It and my Novatac 120P are my EDC lights. I never leave home without them.

ML1TIR.jpg

Nevermind...I can read on the picture. hehe. That milky sure does a great job of making wonderful lights into spectacular lights!

Last edited: