CB Radios?

a4d

Enlightened
Hey guys I'm looking for a CB radio for my truck. I don't need anything all to special. I would like it to have NOAA weather stations, and the CB/PA feature. I would like to have scanning but i don't think i'm gonna be able to get that in a cheaper CB am I?

I also want to keep i cheaper so i can get a good antenna Magnetic mounted if possible.

Any help is appreciatted.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would bypass the PA feature and the exterior PA horn speaker. It sounds like a good thing to have but most people never use it and those that do can get into unexpected trouble by "just havin' a little fun''. I have never seen the PA feature pay for itself once in the last 30 years.

I would put the money saved on the exterior horn speaker towards getting the very best antenna that fits into the budget. For magnetic mount antennas under 4 feet in length you might want to check out the base loaded K30 and the Wilson Little Wil. If you can go with a slightly taller, slightly costlier antenna then have a look at the K40 or the Wilson W500MG. All 4 of these antennas offer very good performance for the dollars spent. Avoid center coil loaded whip models with 2 part plastic coil covers at all costs and stay far away from the black Radio Shack magnetic mount model that claims to pick up the WX (weather) band. It's junk.

Many lower cost radios suffer from poor modulation. For this reason you may want to consider a used mobile preamp mic. Boosted modulation can really help on the readability of your voice to someone who is far away or is having trouble reading you because of increased atmospheric noise.
I have no trouble making out a weaker signal, say 4 S units, with good strong modulation as opposed to a stronger 6 S unit signal with poor low level modulation. It's no fun when you can see the signal meter jump but can hardly hear what the other person is saying. On really cheap sets it can be so bad that people think you are holding the mic 12 inches away when you are actually holding it right by your mouth.
Don't be fooled by sets that have a knob called Mic Gain. It isn't gain. It's nothing more than an attenuator. Don't be fooled by manufacturers that claim they have a built in mic preamp. They don't. Cobra tries to fool people into thinking this by calling their mic a "Dyna-mic" and adding a "gain" knob on the set for users to twiddle.
It's just a regular microphone.
Used mobile preamp mics by Turner or Astatic are worth hunting for provided you can get them properly wired to work with your set. Most CB shops can do this and charge a nominal fee. The older Radio Shack mobile preamp mics from 1980 to about 1985 weren't too bad for the money and sell for much less than the mobile Turner+3 or the mobile Astatic D104 on the used market.
Note: Preamp mics work best with the windows up and sunroof closed!

Lastly, don't forget to check the match on your antenna with a decent SWR meter. Keep it below 2 to 1 (preferably lower) on the top and bottom and you'll be fine.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Yeah - PA often gets people in trouble. I like having an external horn speaker for the stuff I receive on my ham radio, as often I work events - I'll turn on the horn when I'm parked and working in the area around the truck - often easier to hear than carrying an HT - and I'll walk back to the truck to answer a call (sometimes you just need more power than an HT will give you - both Xmit and audio drive to a speaker)

That said LumenHound is right - spend money on antennas FIRST. Do a little research on NVIS antennas - Most of the data you'll find is on Military or Ham radio stuff, so I'll give you a hint - there is a reason you see things like military vehicles with their antennas tied down besides clearance.

Almost everyone who has run CB knows about skip (which stinks right now as we are at the bottom of the sunspot cycle, and CB is the 11 meter band) - what folks DON'T know is that basically, even with skip, you have what is known as "the doughnut" - you can talk close in, by what is known as "ground wave" then you have a distance that is hard to talk to (the doughnut) and then outside the doughnut, things are good, because that's where skip works (when it does)

By tieing your antenna horizontal, most of your signal will go basically straight UP, bounce off the ionosphere, and come down - you give up skip, get a slightly weaker groundwave signal, but you fill in that doughnut that starts at around 15 miles, and runs out to say 100 to 300 miles!

Of course, to do this, you need a BIG antenna - figure a 102" whip

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Yeah - PA often gets people in trouble. I like having an external horn speaker for the stuff I receive on my ham radio, as often I work events - I'll turn on the horn when I'm parked and working in the area around the truck - often easier to hear than carrying an HT - and I'll walk back to the truck to answer a call (sometimes you just need more power than an HT will give you - both Xmit and audio drive to a speaker)

That said LumenHound is right - spend money on antennas FIRST. Do a little research on NVIS antennas - Most of the data you'll find is on Military or Ham radio stuff, so I'll give you a hint - there is a reason you see things like military vehicles with their antennas tied down besides clearance.

Almost everyone who has run CB knows about skip (which stinks right now as we are at the bottom of the sunspot cycle, and CB is the 11 meter band) - what folks DON'T know is that basically, even with skip, you have what is known as "the doughnut" - you can talk close in, by what is known as "ground wave" then you have a distance that is hard to talk to (the doughnut) and then outside the doughnut, things are good, because that's where skip works (when it does)

By tieing your antenna horizontal, most of your signal will go basically straight UP, bounce off the ionosphere, and come down - you give up skip, get a slightly weaker groundwave signal, but you fill in that doughnut that starts at around 15 miles, and runs out to say 100 to 300 miles!

Of course, to do this, you need a BIG antenna - figure a 102" whip

Did I read this right? Are you suggesting the antenna should be mounted horizontally for normal communications or any communications for that matter?

a4d

Enlightened
Alright so forget the PA feature. Which CB is suggested i want to keep it cheap but not crappy, i know they kind of contradict (sp) themselves but the best bang for te buck. How's this one http://www.unidendirect.com/itemdetail.cfm?item=B-PC68LTW&tabid=1 Mainly cause i want to put some other things in my truck like a police scanner.

I know in a another thread i asked about police scanners but that was about portable ones. Where can i find one for my truck?

Also asked about VHF radios is there any reason at all to put those in a truck? I know they are mainly for marine and airplanes. but here in Ohio i'm near lak erie, and when i'm back in jersey i'm real close to the bay and ocean, so i just thought i'd be able to hear stuff there.

Last edited:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tying a full length quarter wave whip back does work by altering your radiation pattern but it's much better suited for a county to county qso on sideband as compared to getting a highway traffic accident update from someone 5 miles down the interstate headed in your direction.
It can make a big difference when your transmitting on 40 meters but less so at CB radio's 11 meter wavelength. Results can also vary with the time of day. Some people do it simply because they like the look of it and aren't overly concerned with how it may hinder their signal.
Back when cars had metal bumbers it wasn't uncommon for an experienced operator with a 102 inch marine whip to nudge the front or back of the vehicle up against a big galvanized metal fence or other similar large metal object if you wanted to alter the lobes of your ground plane/radiation pattern.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Did I read this right? Are you suggesting the antenna should be mounted horizontally for normal communications or any communications for that matter?

yes and no - believe it or not, a horizontal antenna can work a LOT better than vertical - BUT (and it's a big but) your close in comms (less than say 5-10 miles) is going to be a LOT worse - if you are dealing with "ground wave" having the antenna at the same polarity as the antenna on the other end will be more important

Basically, what NVIS does is - you give up the ability to skip long distances (say 300+ miles - at the top of the solar cycle, 11m aka CB can talk around the world on 5 watts) and instead get a signal in the 15-300 mile range, where a verical antenna has almost no signal in there.

Picture the earth covered with a reflecting sphere - if you aim your flashlight out at a low angle, the first place the beam will come down is a LONG way away - by pointing it more up (making your antenna more horizontal near the ground) - that bounce comes down closer

http://www.tactical-link.com/nvis3.htm

http://www.sedata.net/nvis.html (adjust antenna lenghts for CB)

http://www.smc-comms.com/loop.html

this one explains the theory - most of the antenna info is for fixed station http://www.athensarc.org/nvis.asp

if you go here - and look at what they are saying about "tilting" the antenna, you'll see what is happening http://www.gordon.army.mil/AC/wintr01/HFIBCT.htm

http://www.gordon.army.mil/AC/articles/fiedler/dfnjarng.pdf

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Tying a full length quarter wave whip back does work by altering your radiation pattern but it's much better suited for a county to county qso on sideband as compared to getting a highway traffic accident update from someone 5 miles down the interstate headed in your direction.
It can make a big difference when your transmitting on 40 meters but less so at CB radio's 11 meter wavelength. Results can also vary with the time of day. Some people do it simply because they like the look of it and aren't overly concerned with how it may hinder their signal.
Back when cars had metal bumbers it wasn't uncommon for an experienced operator with a 102 inch marine whip to nudge the front or back of the vehicle up against a big galvanized metal fence or other similar large metal object if you wanted to alter the lobes of your ground plane/radiation pattern.

Yes - it will make a heck of a lot less difference at 11m - not much skip out there. Then again, all those traffic reports etc are in your ground wave radius - tied down, not tied down etc isn't going to make too much difference. I WILL say that NOTHING out there beats a full length 102" whip for getting signal out - had one on one of my cars "back when" (hint, CB still had call signs)

With all the ham gear in my truck, I still think about putting a CB in there - I'd LOVE to find one with a remote mount head, but as far as I can tell, they are not made

tradderran

Newly Enlightened
Yes - it will make a heck of a lot less difference at 11m - not much skip out there. Then again, all those traffic reports etc are in your ground wave radius - tied down, not tied down etc isn't going to make too much difference. I WILL say that NOTHING out there beats a full length 102" whip for getting signal out - had one on one of my cars "back when" (hint, CB still had call signs)

With all the ham gear in my truck, I still think about putting a CB in there - I'd LOVE to find one with a remote mount head, but as far as I can tell, they are not made

From a fellow Ham. If you are looking for a remote CB look on EBay.
as they come up for sale quite often, Panasonic made one of the best
I have one of them in my car it is only 23 channels but that is all you need
for traffic reports (19) I got mine at a pawn shop for 15 bucks
good luck and keep on talking

Also a4d like everyone has told you get the best antenna you can buy.
PS go to a pawn shop and look for an old Johnson 123 A YOU CAN GET THEM CHEEP
AN THEY TALK LIKE CRAZY.
Also why not go ahead and start getting your ham ticket. It is easer than you think
and lots of fun start with 2 meters and go from there

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright so forget the PA feature.

Actually I've found the PA feature to be useful. In the past I've used it so I can hear radio traffic from outside my vehicle. I used it like this all the time... like when tinkering around in the garage and such. Just had it at low volume.