Killed a Surefire tonight

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother in law and I were having an arguement tonight and the settling of it killed his Surefire 6P. He was trying to say that he could make a handgn light mount using an old clamp type scope mount and I said I didnt think it would hold tight enough.

So, he went home and got his old Surefire 6P (I told him it was not gonna happen with one of my lights) and an old clamp style scope mount. The Surefire fit nicely into the scope tube part of the mount, but as happenstance would have it, the only handgun the clamp mount would go over and clamp to was my customized Ruger Redhawk with a 4.5 inch barrel and magnaporting.

Unfortuately, the only way it would fit was the main body of the surefire stuck out quite a ways past the muzzle and was not quite enough to cover the muzzle crown towards the bore, but too close. It looked like it might possibly be ok though, or so he thought.

WELLLLLLLLLL I slipped back the hammer, pulled that smoothhhhhh trigger pull until the hammer dropped, and,

The Surefire went bye bye, lol, it basically exploded. Experiment did not work well with the short barreled flamethrower. Perhaps tomorrow i can find enough of it to take pictures of, lol. All I could find was half of the scope mount, and part of the head of the light.

Oh and btw I did not hold it, I put it in a mount to shoot it, lol, no way was I hold it. The one we use for the chrono for our reloading. I knew the bore was not going to be impeaded amd hurt the revolver, but I had no clue wha shrapnel the light would make. We also padded the barrel with leather, which may not have helped it hold as tight, but no way was I going to risk the finish of my redhawks barrel.

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, he thinks (or so he proclaims) it might be possible with a lesser handgun, but I do not expect him to try it any time soon. I think it is just an attempt at saving face.

Illum

Flashaholic

I hope no one got hurt [flying aluminum hurts, don't ask how I know], chances are some lithium byproduct might be in the air:shakehead

man o man....are you saying the 6P was shot up the A$$?
under the darkness a 6P was blazed by smoke and fire....

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The setup sounds kinda silly to me, though. Anything past the muzzle usually means :poof::xyxgun:

Dudemar

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Sweet! A SF KB!
Would you be willing to mail me one of the shattered bits as a prop or warning to local shooters at the range I regularly frequent?
I always tell people to not try things like this as it's too dangerous. Luckily you two were smart about the firing process, I have seen quite a few who try things like this or half a$$ load cookups and are now missing a part or 2.

97t-bird

Newly Enlightened
Try sending it back to surefire or whats left of it I would love to see if they would replace it lol

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, send that bad boy into the Surefire true stories page and see what they do. Dude, you just shot a flashlight!

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was told by the SF guy at their office that for the M series lights, a Scope mount can be used, but I doubt you can shoot the light with the gun it's attached to and expect it to work.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did the bullet hit the light or the muzzleblast? I would think that either would do the trick. Venting gasses at sever hundred degrees can to terrible things to aluminum or skin and bone for that matter.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
did you utter the normal phrase as you pulled the trigger on this silly idea ?

by normal phrase i mean "hey y'all watch this"

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pictures of the remains are most certainly needed :D

Glad you both stayed in better shape than the 6P.

Regards,
Tempest

SilentK

Enlightened
wow i think someone needs some common {not so common in this case} sense.

1. flashlight is not shock proof
2. i hope it was not an airgun scope mount. LOL!:crackup:
3. what caliber was the gun?
4. how long was the rail?:lolsign:

Mercaptan

Enlightened
wow i think someone needs some common {not so common in this case} sense.

1. flashlight is not shock proof
2. i hope it was not an airgun scope mount. LOL!:crackup:
3. what caliber was the gun?
4. how long was the rail?:lolsign:

It was likely a .44 Magnum knowing the Ruger Redhawk series... though I'm curious about this mount setup.

swampgator

Enlightened
Knowingly touching off a .44 with something extending past the muzzle? You realized that you were going to have muzzle blast right?

Last edited: