The 70's

Greta

Flashaholic
The 70\'s

As you all know, I'm 41 years old... which means that my "formative" (read stupid) years were in the 70's. Now with 21 years of marriage and 2 kids under my belt, that seems like so long ago.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Today as I was vacuuming, I turned on Music TV as usual and flipped straight to the Hit List... as usual. After about 3 songs, I noticed that it was all this rap-crap... or I guess they call it hip-hop?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif... I guess I really don't care enough to find out the correct terminology. But I do know that it was annoying me and I wasn't humming along as I was pushing the vacuum cleaner.

So I stopped and flipped to The 80's... disco... (this reminds me to find a puke smilie)... so just for the heck of it, I flipped to The 70's. WOW!! ... some fantastic songs! That brought back many good memories. Remember Ma Belle Amie by The Tee Set? And the soundtrack from Grease? Don McLean?

So is this what my kids call "The Oldies"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The 70\'s

wow, how incredibly sad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif i love ya sasha, but the 70's! c'mon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast

30th High School Reunion was last summer. Doing the math, what's wrong with the 70's?

Hey, in 1964 the Beatles were just coming on to the scene....

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

heres you a puker.
puke.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remember the first time I heard a police song on an oldies station. I almost had my mid-life right there...

As it is I've decided to save my crisis till 40 rather than 30. I will be able to afford a better car then and my wife says I can only have one mid life crisis so I want to get it right...

EDIT: Oh, but I did hear from a friend in the recording industry that rap/hip-hop/whatever is officially dead. They just aren't making any money on the bulk of it, there were only half a dozen successful artists out of hundreds signed last yet.

Whats next I don't know, but I'll guarantee you that the regular traditional internet fearing record companies won't be the ones to make any money off it.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I'm buying late 1970s and early 1980s ghetto blasters off ebay, and I *know* they didn't have rap or hippy-hop back then like they have now. (Not to mention today's ghetto blasters are a lot lower in quality than those made in the late 1970s).

Oh yeah, listening to The Pyramids "Time Captives", The Cars, ELO, Kraftwerk, Pink Floyd, early AC/DC, early Van Halen, and on and on... and let us not forget Kasey Kasem and his American Top 40 radio program. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Internet radio is great. I listen to Wolf FM and Club 77 a lot. The music sure was interesting in the mid to late 70s when I started listening heavily. You'd have Disco groups like KC and the Sunshine Band and The BeeGees battling the charts along with traditional rockers like Foreigner and Styx. Quite the contrast in styles. Someone who's young and never heard the song, ought to listen to "Disco Duck" and then realize it was the number one song in the USA for four straight weeks. Hard to believe Kasey Kasum (voice of Scraggy as well) is still around with his American Top whatever it is now, dyed hair and all.

P.S. I was just young enough to not really remember the Beatles when they were charting and so hence wondered why people who were a decade older then me liked them so well when I thought (at the time) Wings was clearly so much better.

P.P.S. You know what's a good feeling? Getting someone younger then you to listen to music you grew up with but they never really heard before. I let my mid 20s nephew borrow my Steve Miller Book of Dreams and Fly Like An Eagle CDs and he became hooked on them and has since seen him in concert. For my case, I bought a few older cds like Jefferson Airplane, Emerson Lake and Palmer and pre Dark Side Of the Moon Floyd after borrowing cds from an older co worker.

Greta

Flashaholic

Kasey Kasem! I met him! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif He's a TINY little guy! I was in Dallas after Desert Storm. My husband was doing what I call "The Victory Tour". He was in SF and they were having an SF convention in Dallas so the guys who had just come back from the desert were invited. I was stuck here in Arizona and hadn't seen my husband in months so on the spur of the moment, I hopped a plane and surprised him. We had a blast! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Anyway, at this HUGE hotel/convention center where the SF convention was, there was also a Lebanese/American convention going on. Did you all know that Kasey Kasem is Lebanese? We bumped into him there and chatted for a few minutes... my husband's name is K.C. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... and he also speaks Arabic so the two of them had a great little chat!

I'd say that he's only about 5 ft. tall and no more than about 130 lbs at the MOST!... very little man but very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

geep... I remember when Meatloaf came out with his second album a few years back and my daughter came home talking about this great new band! LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ygbsm

Enlightened

I know what you mean. Seventies songs bring back some good, not so good, and sometimes downright embarassing memories for me.

Bill.H

Enlightened

There was some great music in the 70's, I remember living in NJ back then and being a big Springsteen fan - then the rest of the world discovered him and it was never the same.

I really miss Karen Carpenter. What a voice, such a tragedy.

But PLEASE don't bring back disco ... though it might have been better than hip hop ... still, that ain't saying much.

Why did the music industry change so much that you can't be a singer anymore unless you can dance?

Harry Chapin. The original SNL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Star Wars was new (!!) Time sure flies.

Now I'll be reminiscing all night and looking for an oldies station...

Tomas

Banned

As the '70's opened I was on my way back serving as an NCO in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam, in fact I got out of the service in February of 1970 (and no, I was not a draftee).

I guess my "formative years" were sometime before that music, Sasha, and I don't "connect" to it in all that special a way.

Heh. I was an old married man (4 years) when the '70's started.

The first records I bought for myself were 78's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

tomsig03.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

Albany Tom

Enlightened

I don't know...I think we reached our peak music with Hendrix, Morrison, and the like, with CCR leading the way out, and the Eagles and the "happy" bands starting the downward trend to disco and it's been sythetic percussion sounds ever since...

Every once in a while something new comes out that's good enough that it could have been old. I remember listening to a then new Black Crowes CD one day, and a friend came over all confused, because it was rock n roll from that era that he'd never heard before.

Lately I've been listening to Linda Perry, and this isn't typical 90's music. She'd be right at home hanging out with those 70's kids.

There's still some good music out there, it's just not on the radio. (Could it be because there are only about 6 radio stations left in the country? And they all have computers picking the music?)

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting thread....I grew up on late 60's/early 70's music....still listen to it....trivia question....name this tune I was listening to today....one of my favorite groups....here's an excerpt

Fly your willow branches
Wrap your body round my soul
Lay down your reeds and drums on my soft sheets
There are years behind us reaching
To the place where hearts are beating
And I know you're the last true love I'll ever meet

then tell me who the song was dedicated to and what it was all about

B@rt

Flashaholic

"Nantucket Sleighride" by Mountain... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
[ QUOTE ]

"The term "Nantucket Sleighride" was coined by the whalers to explain what happened after they harpooned a whale. The first harpoon was not intended to kill the whale but only to attach it to the whale boat. Then the whale would take off... pulling the whale boat along on a "Nantucket Sleighride". The whale would tire itself out, then the leading officer in the boat would use a lance and stab the whale until dead."

[/ QUOTE ]

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast

You got it Bart. Did you recognize the song or look it up? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The origin of the name was right, but there is more to the song than meets the eye (or ear).

It was dedicated to Owen Coffin who died in the early 1800's serving aboard a whaling ship...this is a little gruesome...you might not want to read it...
http://www.rru.com/~meo/music/owen-coffin.html

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast

70's trivia question #2...name this tune and artist

When I need good loving I always come home to you
You free my lifetime of the blues
Yes I got that old time feeling burning deep inside my soul
And I am yours and baby I'm home

B@rt

Flashaholic

Hi Stingray,
I never heard the song... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
A gruesome story indeed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Search engines are a wonderful thing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

btw, the next one is "Good Feelin To Know" by "the Outlaws"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

Reading this thread makes me feel, "I was country when country wasn't cool." Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Ronnie Milsap and Willie Nelson were playing on our 8 tracks. I recall in about 1975 when a friend of mine showed me his cassette player he had in his car and I thought, "poor guy, can't afford an 8 track". I remember liking one "hippie" song during the early seventies. We bought the album and listened to the same song over and over and over. GFR, "We're an American Band" In about 76 we gave into disco. We didn't want to but the gals were going to the disco clubs and at 16 we were mindless robots to what the girls wanted. Yes, we were going to clubs at 16 and not having a problem getting in. Now I enjoy rock music from the late sixties and early seventies, go figure. Of course I still like country but the new stuff is not really country any more and many of the artist look like our hippies from the 70's. I think I will get my Statler Brothers, Gospel Hits CD out and start partying. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!

Speaking of "The Outlaws", when Greengrass and Hightides made its debut, I remember rushing off to the "Licorice Pizza" store and scapping up one of the few LPs that they had remaining. Music from that time period, IMHO, was the best. Went to many a Outlaws concert since then and justing remembering all those good times...And back then, the only security concerns they had were if you were trying to smuggle in booze or doobies. Man, times have certainly changed. When I was growing up, we never even heard of metal detectors and scanner wands, etc. People then were just into having a good time. Now it seems there are other motives.

Ed.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm hoping this gives reason to be optimistic...

Sasha, you're having trouble humming to this melliflous sentiment?

"Back that thang up" by Juvenile
[words edited to the much tamed down version so they can at least be posted]
[ QUOTE ]

(chorus)
Girl, you looks good, won't you back that thing up
You'se a big fine woman, won't you back that thing up
Call me big daddy when you back that thing up
Hoe, who's you playing with
Back that thing up

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously I'm being sarcastic but surely you remember (and since I was exactly the right target age & gender for it in the 70's I remember it all too vividly and with much embarassment) some tunes that got a lot of play in their day and compare on equal par such as "Wango Tango" by Ted Nugent. I bet even he'd admit that it's crap music but it got a lot of airtime. I remember his swinging onto stage from a rope and wearing only a loincloth and I could only sorta see him through the stinky haze at the upper seats, reinforcing Ann Arbor's reputation of being pot capital of the world. What was being sold was stuff other than the quality of the music, but the music was nonetheless what blared over airwaves.

There were a lot of groups doing the same noisy junk as Ted in between the ads in the 70's. AC/DC. Nazareth. Lotsa noisy stuff, all using the same crap-formula to grab the attention of the largest segment of the population most willing to part with their disposable 'income'. You're remembering the other music of the decade.

I guess I'm thinking (hoping?) that the less tame stuff of the moment with nothing more to it than the sex/drugs/lifestyle will slough off to the history bin just as the previous junk has and the better will hang in there to be remembered as the 'oldies' by our children when they're feeling nostalgic.