Is there supposed to be a spring in the 123a cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there supposed to be a spring or spring assembly in the 123a "twistie" tail caps for the LS?

OR is there supposed to be one up by the head?

My LS came with a TSP and I bought a "twistie" afterward and the spring for the TSP is integrated into the TSP assembly.

Thanks!
Martin

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my knowledge, having one myself, the twistie tail cap does not have a spring in it.

And you are right, the TSP tail cap does have a spring integrated into the switch itself.

gyverpete

Enlightened
Nope. There's no spring in the twist pack nor at the head end. It works by simply applying enough pressure to make contact at both terminals when you twist it. Mine came with the twisty and I prefer this config. since it's the most compact. It works very well on mine and there is no tendency to flicker, and I don't have to twist hard enough to "crush" the battery. It may eventually cause problems, though, especially if overtorqued frequently. Peter Gransee has said a few times that he recommends the TSP over the twist pack, and points out that some models or units may not work well with the twisty.

Hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, thanks. I was just a little concerned about the battery jumbling about. Maybe a thin foam gasket similar to the one in the AAA (with no sticky side) would be good for it?

gyverpete

Enlightened
Beretta,

I forgot to say that there is a foam washer at the head end of mine just like AAA. Just larger diameter and hole. My Arc is the hybrid, before the TSP & new body design. I guess the new ones like yours don't have or need the foam, since the TSP setup fixes the rattle. You can send a SASE to ARC and they will send you out the foam washer, no charge. Just specify the LS and I think they call it a "battery retainer".

Status
Not open for further replies.