What Happened? Did I do something wrong?

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
In preparation of my Malkoff Mag 2-4 drop-in arriving, last night I started to get the Mag ready. So last night I installed the UCL, cut down the stock reflector, cut down the tail cap spring so that it will be seated at the bottom of the cap. I did this because I will be using 3Cs in it.
Well I installed the head back on the body, installed the PVC pipe and installed the 3C batteries and the tail cap. I turned the light on with the stock bulb just to make sure it worked which it did. After a few seconds, I turned it off satisfied everything was ready for the drop-in when I noticed the back end of the light was warm. I was thinking it was due to the heat from where I was holding the light.
Anyway I set the light down on a table in my basement and went upstairs to watch some TV before I went to bed when I started to think of CPF and some problems some people had with exploding batteries. I ended up going back downstairs to check the light again and lucky I did. When I picked up the light, the damn thing was extremely hot (I could barley pick it up). I grabbed a rag and took it upstairs to the kitchen sink and opened the tail cap and removed the PVC pipe with the batteries. The battery that makes contact with the spring was so hot, I couldn't even touch it with my hand and the casing of the battery was "deformed". I ended up putting the battery outside over night.
Anyway would anyone know what might have caused this? I will try again tonight whit new batteries again tonight.

Zenster

Enlightened
About the only thing that could cause that would be a direct short, so you'll want to check EVERY point of contact everywhere.

However, it sounds like the most likely culprit might be the cut-down tail spring that might have dug into the battery or maybe the tail spring gets pushed over to the side when you tighten it up.

Just thinkin' out loud.

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
Why did you cut down the spring in the first place ? Are you using the 3D Mag as the host ?

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Why did you cut down the spring in the first place ? Are you using the 3D Mag as the host ?

I am using the 2D mag to host 3C batteries. I cut the spring down so that it will sit at the bottom of the tailcap instead of the lip in the tailcap. If I didn't do this and left the spring "Stock" it would not go on with the 3Cs.
Anyway, it was the spring. I had another spring that I cut last night and it is working fine. The one that I was having problems with was alittle different then the spare one I had. The problem one had more "coils" where it made contact to the battery compare to my spare one. Anyway, it is working fine now.

Thanks

Last edited:

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
Oh ... Thought you are going the super incan route ... anyway, you've got just the right ingredients to make the ROP ... just need the bulb ...

Anyway ... Have fun ~ :D

Last edited:

Zenster

Enlightened
Anyway, it was the spring. I had another spring that I cut last night and it is working fine. The one that I was having problems with was alittle different then the spare one I had. The problem one had more "coils" where it made contact to the battery compare to my spare one. Anyway, it is working fine now.

Thanks

Well there 'ya go!

I've always found that applying Occam's Razor to most problems saves a lot of time. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_Razor