If you had to choose just one feature that you like about a light, what would it be?

If you had to choose just one feature that you like about a light, what would it be?

• Construction / Materials

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • Battery Type

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Emitter / Bulb Type

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Light Levels

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Name Brand / Manufacturer

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Price

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Runtime

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • Output

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • UI

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 14 14.3%

• Total voters

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I was looking at my growing collection of lights the other night, comparing output, knurling, looking at runtimes, construction, beam pattern, shapes and sizes and it occurred to me that, despite their differences, there were a few basic characteristics that I intuitively looked for when I made the purchases. Granted, I may not have chosen the same feature(s) for all my lights but the features that I tended to look for were: output, HAII anodizing, ability to take rechargeable Li-Ion batteries and multiple light levels (among others).

Then, I thought to myself, I need a new light! Who doesn't, right? Well, I also thought to myself; what would be the features that I would want in a new light? Would it be output? Latest Rebel / Cree emitter? Multiple light levels? Construction? UI? Beam pattern? Type of batteries it would take?

I then thought… hmm… what if I had to choose only ONE feature to base my purchase? What would that feature be? It was tough and I had to put a lot of thought into it but I finally came to the conclusion that it would be a close call but the top three features I look for would be: output, multiple light levels and runtime… But, the number one would be multiple light levels. The lights that I EDC or use regularly tend to have multiple light levels.

So, if you had to choose just one feature, what would it be? I have put together a list of the 10 key features that I think would be considered in choosing a light - I've listed them below with examples to help you decide. So, let me hear your thoughts…

1. Construction / Materials: It has be Ti / SS / HAIII / etc, or be a work of art or have the best CNC machining / anodizing, etc.
2. Battery Type: It must take Type X batteries, ie. I only buy lights that take 18650 or 1AA or 1CR123, etc.
3. Emitter / Bulb Type: I only look at the latest and brightest type X emitters or I like incandescents only or HID is the only way to go!
4. Light Levels: It must have one light level only / multiple light levels
5. Name Brand / Manufacturer: It has to be brand X!
6. Price: I only purchase lights less than $X / more than $X
7. Runtime: It has to have a runtime that exceeds X
8. Output: It has to be able blind low-flying airplanes!
9. UI: It's got to be a twisty / reverse-clickie / forward-clickie
10. Other: Er, you missed the one feature that I like in light (if I have, pls indicate in a post)

rtt

Enlightened
The one feature I look for in a light is runtime.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime!

You never know how long you're going to need your light WTSHTF!

kelmo

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brain works in a different coordinate system. First thing I want is reliability - it's gotta turn on when I need it. Second thing I want is size and battery efficiency (lotsa light for its size and how fast it sucks up batteries). Third thing is value - what it can do divided by what it cost.

So I couldn't vote. Sorry...

LightInTheWallet

Newly Enlightened
Assuming the question is what feature poorly executed would disqualify from purchasing/ using I would vote for is output. If the question is what is the primary feature examined before purchase I would have to choose reliability. I guess thats why I own more than one flashlight/torch:twothumbs

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The vast majority of the lights I like and use have faceted or orange peal reflectors.

When I look at any light in any store first thing I notice is reflector.

So to my way of thinking "other" (reflector type)

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Is construction materials the same as durability?

I'd go for that one over everything else. Hello Surefire.

big beam

Enlightened
I'm gunna say other also.I look for beam quality.If it's a led light I like them floody.If it's a high powered incan I lean toward the throwy side.
DON

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Output is the most important...but it needs to be able to sustain that output for it to be really useful, thats why i dont carry my SF with P61 LA, 120 otf is nice, but to little at 20 mins...:(

Crenshaw

Saiga

Enlightened
With only one vote, i went with "runtime", but almost equally important: reliability, solid construction and economy (price).

RGB_LED

Enlightened
My brain works in a different coordinate system. First thing I want is reliability - it's gotta turn on when I need it. Second thing I want is size and battery efficiency (lotsa light for its size and how fast it sucks up batteries). Third thing is value - what it can do divided by what it cost.

So I couldn't vote. Sorry...
I wanted to add reliability but only had 10 options that I could create a poll with... I see Construction / Materials as sort of mixed with reliability. If I could have had more than 10, I would have added that one.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Assuming the question is what feature poorly executed would disqualify from purchasing/ using I would vote for is output. If the question is what is the primary feature examined before purchase I would have to choose reliability. I guess thats why I own more than one flashlight/torch:twothumbs
I would say that the latter; what feature would prompt you to purchase a light...

I guess thats why I own more than one flashlight/torch:twothumbs
Same here...:D

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went with light levels. Gotta have a nice low and a nice high. Well, usually a nice high to me is a nice middle mode. :shrug:

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
Although I would have liked to answer differently, I chose price. As obsessed as I am, I just don't have a big budget to spend on my lights. Most of my time goes into reading about lights < $30 or so. Really though, with enough research I've been able to find some incredible lights for the price.

Illum

Flashaholic
mmm, now this proves to be ironic :thinking:
34 votes and none for emitter type, then whats all this commotion with CREE P1/Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5 about? isn't that whats new and amazing and super awesome info flooding the forum with nowadays?:)