WE Fox-1... wow!

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll say it up front: I don't have this light, I'm just going by what I've read.

I've looked at a few companies, and had though I'd had my bases covered when it came to which companies are good, but apparently I hadn't read enough about Wolf Eyes :) Well-made, smallish, relatively cheap, god regulation, and, the first ever in an LED, adjustable! From the numbers and beamshots, the adjustable feature really works, and well.

There's a great review here: http://www.light-reviews.com/we_fox/review.html

Seems like a direct competitor to Surefire, though it is a bit larger and adjustable.

Anybody own this light, and have anything to say?

Last edited:

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
General dislike? I for one think Wolf Eyes is the best light coming out of China right now.

The Fox has been tempting, but I would like it to be two level. Forget 5 levels and strobe, a simple low and high would be fine. That with focusing would be a killer combo.

They offer various levels as options for other LED lights, generally single, dual or 5 with strobe. Why not the Fox? I don't know.

WE is the Surefire of Chinese lights.

lukestephens777

Enlightened
I don't think there's much dislike of Wolf Eyes round here...

I recently got a WE Sniper with Q2, and it's fantastic.
The best Chinese made led light i've ever had.

The threads and build construction plus the ability to run off 1 x 18650 or 2 x 123's make for great lights...

Back on Topic the Fox does look great, i wonder how good the focusability really is..

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, seeing as four people supported WE and nobody said anything against WE, I geuss I was wrong...

I was just going by the fact that WE is relatively rarely mentioned, and when it was is was said to be inferior to Surefire, and nothing else. Not to mention the fact that it's most active independent proponent was banned...

Funny, despite my misconception, the first thing I though when looking through the WE product list is that it's appealing like a Surefire, except with better LEDs and made in China.

According to the linked review, the adjustable focus works great, with the spot being about equivalent to an M1-R and flood at about half the lux, and smoother.

I think WE was trying to appeal to the tactical fad when they left out a low mode, but I agree that a single easy-to-access single low mode would be great. But then the circuitry is more complicated, and it costs more, and the legnth may increase (see surefire lights).

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I had to put my 2 cents in too - who ever talked bad about WE lights? In every review I've seen, they have sang it's praises and have only compared it to SureFire lights because it matches the SF quality at half the price. All the talk made me want to get one, so I picked up the Defender (my review) https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2276607

It was so great, I had to get another one (Sniper)

Back to the point of the thread - It looks like a nice light with a great focus feature, but I still prefer the looks of the other WE lights myself... I found this video on Liotec.com showing the WE Fox in use: http://liotec.com/store/product_detail_pages/FOX-1 X.htm

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I sure am happy with my Q5 3-6V WE drop-in! Best drop-ins for a combo of flood and spot together due to unique reflector. I couldn't decide which I needed more of so this fit for me perfectly, especially with an AW 17670.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
My review was posted on the PTS web site. I own the FOX.

here's a cut and paste of my review.
Bare in mind I have now owned this light for 3 weeks or so and the review still stands.

"I received this light just yesterday and have been playing with it a lot.
The build quality is all there, smooth threads and nice anodizing. The checkering is a little smooth and could be a bit more aggressive for a duty style light. The run time on 3.7V rechargeable is great.

Down side is the beam, the hot spot isn't as well defined as the Q5 drop in modules are. It is a bit softer. The focusing head could be a bit stiffer as it can easily be knocked off once you have it set where you want it. There really seems to be only one decent focus point, anywhere else and you get an ugly hot spot. Overall this will make a nice light to carry in my plain clothes rig as it is very bright and would make a good close quarters light to use while doing paperwork out in the field as well as for searching backpacks, purses and persons.

If you want a light with a crisp well defined hot spot, this isn't it get a Sniper or other fixed focus light with a Q5. I highly recommend the 168A battery to make this a rechargeable light. It runs well and I can see no difference in the brightness versus the primary 123's."

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Madecov that surprises me i thought this would be a light that would have a very defined hotspot due to the deeper reflector. Does it appear yo you that there is any benefit from the deeper reflector? This was my next light on the to buy list but if it isn't a thrower i am not sure if there is a point when i already have 2 WE LED's

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe I've heard anything negative here about Wolf-Eyes either. I've got several and the quality is GREAT! And JohnB at liotec.com is great to deal with too - one of the best dealers I've dealt with. I've got my eye on the Wolf Eyes Guider - unique with the big side switch - once I recover from all the holiday spending...

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe I've heard anything negative here about Wolf-Eyes either. I've got several and the quality is GREAT! And JohnB at liotec.com is great to deal with too - one of the best dealers I've dealt with. I've got my eye on the Wolf Eyes Guider - unique with the big side switch - once I recover from all the holiday spending...
+1 for Liotec. John at Liotec is excellent to deal with. lightning fast responses and shipping is almost instantanious.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm being a bit spoiled because I received my BOG Q5 at around the same time.
That module has a larger sharper more defined hot spot. Throw on the FOX in real life is about the same.

While the BOG appears to be brighter this could be because of the larger hot spot and because the WE modules may bit a bit warmer in color than the BOG.

I've used the FOX as a duty light since it fits in a Gladius nylon holster I have . It works fine in the real world, it is just slightly longer than the Sniper series, but shorter than a Gladius. I used some Plumbers tape on the head threads to tighten up things and leave the "focus" set at one spot. I don't mess with it.

Overall it is a nice light, I will eventually order a FENIX T1 and compare the two lights.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My review was posted on the PTS web site. I own the FOX.

"I received this light just yesterday and have been playing with it a lot.
The build quality is all there, smooth threads and nice anodizing. The checkering is a little smooth and could be a bit more aggressive for a duty style light. The run time on 3.7V rechargeable is great.

Down side is the beam, the hot spot isn't as well defined as the Q5 drop in modules are. It is a bit softer. The focusing head could be a bit stiffer as it can easily be knocked off once you have it set where you want it. There really seems to be only one decent focus point, anywhere else and you get an ugly hot spot. Overall this will make a nice light to carry in my plain clothes rig as it is very bright and would make a good close quarters light to use while doing paperwork out in the field as well as for searching backpacks, purses and persons.

If you want a light with a crisp well defined hot spot, this isn't it get a Sniper or other fixed focus light with a Q5. I highly recommend the 168A battery to make this a rechargeable light. It runs well and I can see no difference in the brightness versus the primary 123's."

According to the graph in Light-reviews.com, it's not regulated in 168A. I guess they're using their so-called 3.7v-13v driver instead of its 3.7v-6v driver.

In fact, I have been looking for a flood light like this one as most LED lights out there are too spot intensive. That's why L4 is still my most-used light than anything else. If Fox-1 use its 3.7v-6v driver and a little smaller (WE tends to use thicker alum than necessary), it definitely becomes my new favorite light:)

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm being a bit spoiled because I received my BOG Q5 at around the same time..

I just ordered a BOG Q5 but cancelled it in the next day after being quoted $24 for shipping the tiny thing to me:-(

Alan

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would call it semiregulated on 18650 battery. Graph of unregulated output on 18650 can be seen on this runtime graph of Huntlight FT01PJXR-E. (c) chevrofreak

Huntlight%20FT01PJ%20XR-E%20-%20level%205.png

Last edited: