Filters for LED lights

mwaldron

Enlightened
I was wondering if there was a reasonable source for colored filters for LED lights?

I've been enjoying my Surefire L2 for many months (just found CPF recently) and I almost always have the RED filter on it for night vision preservation. I also purchased a Blue one for Map reading, but it doesn't work nearly as well as Green light, and Surefire doesn't make Green filter so I was wondering if anyone else does?

Also, today I purchased a Fenix P2D Q5 (Can't wait to get it in) to replace my Surefire for EDC (the L2 is just too big for comfort in my pocket) and again I ordered a Red filter, but it appears Fenix-Store doesn't even carry Blue....

Any help help on finding filters?

I've always been fascinated with LEDs, and somehow never knew about CPF. Even without CPF I managed to get 2 Eternalights (1 of the first models they ever made in the Radio Shack project box....ahh the memories), Several 5-LED Coast models (Quad and Bi Color), a Couple photos (love them on keychain), a Surefire (my first 'expensive' light) and more More mag lites than I can find on any given day.
This forum is going to be bad for me. So many blinky lights! :D

Marduke

Flashaholic
FYI, filtering LED's is a very inefficient way to get red. LED's produce very little light in the red wavelength, meaning you're blocking a huge percentage of your output.

Blue filters are much more reasonable, as LED's have a lot in the blue wavelength.

A purpose-built colored LED would probably be what you want if you generally use just one color.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Sportsman's Warehouse had a 3 pack of the flip up style (red, blue, green), labeled as their brand for around $10 for all 3.

Unfortunately they fit bezels that are 1 1/4".

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just do a search for "lee filters" and "Roscoe filters".
Both companies have a web page where you can sign up for a free filter pack which will allow you to do color correction as well as fancy colors pretty much any color you can think of are included.
As is mentioned in the thread. Red is not an efficient color to create with a filter. but it is double. a red emitter may be a better way to go for red anyway. color correction making a lousy emitter look like a good emitter is pretty easy. the filter pack also has diffusions ..lots of them.
Go find it and have some fun.
Yaesumofo

I was wondering if there was a reasonable source for colored filters for LED lights?

I've been enjoying my Surefire L2 for many months (just found CPF recently) and I almost always have the RED filter on it for night vision preservation. I also purchased a Blue one for Map reading, but it doesn't work nearly as well as Green light, and Surefire doesn't make Green filter so I was wondering if anyone else does?

Also, today I purchased a Fenix P2D Q5 (Can't wait to get it in) to replace my Surefire for EDC (the L2 is just too big for comfort in my pocket) and again I ordered a Red filter, but it appears Fenix-Store doesn't even carry Blue....

Any help help on finding filters?

I've always been fascinated with LEDs, and somehow never knew about CPF. Even without CPF I managed to get 2 Eternalights (1 of the first models they ever made in the Radio Shack project box....ahh the memories), Several 5-LED Coast models (Quad and Bi Color), a Couple photos (love them on keychain), a Surefire (my first 'expensive' light) and more More mag lites than I can find on any given day.
This forum is going to be bad for me. So many blinky lights! :D

mwaldron

Enlightened
Wow, fast responses. Thanks guys.

I understand the issues with filtering LEDs for red, but that's generally an added benefit since when I'm using a red filter I don't need it to be as bright as the surface of the Sun :)

Previously I've used Coast 2-Color and 4-Color lights and I do like them but they have a horrible tenancy to turn on in my pocket, and the lack of a lens over the LEDs causes me a touch of OCD trying to keep the reflectors clean.

Thanks for the advise on more correct search terms, I'll be giving those a shot later today as my free-time allows.

-Mike