MOLLE light opinions

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few weeks ago I recieved a MOLLE light from Countycomm.com. The more I use it, the more I like it. It's resonably bright, has a good spill beam, is durable, and appears to run well on half-dead cells. Anyone know what the runtime is supposed to be? Also exactly what LED does it have? Any other opinions on this light?

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
Been looking at this light for a while glad to hear you like it....saw that you are in DeKalb...I am a Huskie Alum and live in the Crystal Lake IL area...hello neighbor!

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey there neighbor! I went to NIU as well. Countycomm even gives a belt holster with this light. I might order another sometime.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
This is a PentagonLight MOLLE flashlight.

Here's the specs:
http://pentagonlight.com/item_detail.cfm__id.487

3 hour runtime, 40 lumens.

I love mine. I have one in each of my rifle drag bags and one in each of my trucks to complement the SF 6P's or G2's that I keep there.

-Steve

A few weeks ago I recieved a MOLLE light from Countycomm.com. The more I use it, the more I like it. It's resonably bright, has a good spill beam, is durable, and appears to run well on half-dead cells. Anyone know what the runtime is supposed to be? Also exactly what LED does it have? Any other opinions on this light?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Steve. Do you know if when the light hits the 3 hour mark it just quits, slowly dims, or starts blinking on or off? I have lights that do each of these things when the battery nears the end of its' useful life, and I must say I prefer lights that slowly dim into a moon mode. Blinking is just annoying and makes it hard to continue to use the light, even to get to a new battery, and if it just quits working, well, that can be dangerous!

Beastmaster

Enlightened
The one time I let it run down to nothing, mine strobed/flickered after about 2 hours on a fresh AA primary. This was a literal first run unit. Pentagonlight says that that was a defect, and I sent it back, got a replacement. I haven't run it down since, but I suspect that since it's semi-regulated, it will run down to direct drive/dim, then blink/flicker.

I haven't done any of the newer ones that I've gotten 5 months ago.

Xak

Enlightened
I don't get it. Why would their S2 19 LED floodlight run on 2 123's @ 30 lumens for 90 min peak (as they advertise), but the 1 AA Moly run @ 40 lumens for 3 hours?

Germ

Enlightened
Do all the Molle's still come with compasses? I read a review on the light and it said the threads didn't look so good in the base where the compass goes and the filter gets stored. I took a look at a Molle at a store and the threads did look worn, like putting in the compass damaged the threads some. The filter only picks up about thread and it looks like it might fall off eventually.

Anyway, for those of you with Molle's, how do your threads look there?

I got a Streamlight Sidewinder that I clip to the front of my belt for walking dogs at night. That works pretty well. How well does the Molle work for something like that? It would seem like the Molle could be clipped to your belt on the side too, something you couldn't do with the Sidewinder. Does anyone use their Molle that way? What are your favorite ways to carry it?

Beastmaster

Enlightened
My MOLLE light's use is rather restricted. It's predominantly used in the loops of my rifle drag bags as a light for searching for stuff in the bag.

The ones in my truck and my pocket bug out bags are used primarily to give decent lighting using an AA. It's actually supplanted the Inova X1's in my inventory.

The filters for all of mine stay on the light head nearly 24x7. So I don't have that thread issue at all.

-Steve

blademan

Enlightened
I have used the molle attached to my belt before and it works good. It has a wide beam so it lit up the path really well. No barn-burner but it wasn't designed to be. Plenty of light for walks though.

bagman

Enlightened
I've had mine on my dual purpose vest at work for a couple of months now. It replaced a Pili VB3 for low level light for writing tickets etc. and obvoiusly pus a lot more ligyt out thatn that. I've used it several times to see where I'm going when it is very dark instead of using a bigger light in my hand.

Excellent little light and it does not get switched on when I put my gear back in my locker at the end of the shift like the VB3 had a tendancy to do.

Last edited:

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Clipped to a vest or shoulder strap is how I most often use this light. I works very well this way.

Different lights for different tasks!