Planning to get a Fenix AA but confused

Albinoni

Banned
I'm planning to get a Fenix 1xAA LED torch sometime as alot of people here have them and like them but really bit confused on what to get. My personal prefernce would be a 1xAA batt LED torch.

Have my heart set on a Fenix L1D or the LL Micro tactical power chip.

Ok, I've got a Led Lenser already so why not try a Fenix and see how I like it.

http://www.ledtorches.com.au/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=71

http://www.ledtorches.com.au/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2

Or there's the version two of the LL Micro tactical power chip

http://www.ledtorches.com.au/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=3

Also can the Fenix L1D become/convert into a lego torch ?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1T v2.0 is still available at Torchworld.
http://www.torchworld.com.au/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=405
Tighten head for high 90 lumens.
Loosen head for low 15 lumens.
Forward clickie tactical tailcap.
You can get a L2T body tube for it. Sorry could not find an Aussie supplier.
http://eliteled.com/products/accessory/fenix-accessories.html
With the 2AA body tube you get 140 lumens on high.

Torchworld also have the L1D CE Q5.
http://www.torchworld.com.au/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=99&products_id=448
Tighten head for Turbo mode 140 lumens (80 lumens for the base L1D CE @ledtorches.com.au);
- press tailcap button lightly to go to strobe mode.
Loosen head for General mode Low level 12 lumens (9 lumens);
- press tailcap button lightly to go to medium level 53 lumens (40 lumens);
- press tailcap button lightly to go to high level 107 lumens (80 lumens);
- press tailcap button lightly to go to SOS mode.
Reverse clickie tailcap. Reverse clickie works better at changing levels.
You can get a 2AA battery tube for it.
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_39&products_id=278
Turbo mode 180 lumens;
General mode levels are the same as with the 1AA battery tube.

EDIT
If you want simple operation get the L1T v2.0 RB80;
If you want the brightest get the L1D CE Q5.
Note: You can just buy the L2T v2.0 or L2D CE Q5 instead of the 1AA torch plus 2AA tube if you do not mind the extra length.

The other 2 torches you linked to looks like re-branded Led Lensers with older 1/2 as bright Luxeons. 1/3 as bright compared to the Q5.

Last edited:

kts

Enlightened
The Fenix maybe 3x as bright, but they will throw the same, because the Led lenser uses an optic to focus the beam.

Ive got a P2D Q5 and the led lenser myself, and I was a little disappointed when I got my P2D Q5, because ive read in here and was told that it would be 3x times brighter than my Led lenser, and thought it had a lot more throw too...

But that said, you will not regret getting the Fenix, it has a much more pleasant beam, and better build too.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Fenix would be the best choice. Brighter, has more features and it is more versatile as mentioned in the other posts.

Albinoni

Banned
So would you say that the L1T is better than the L1D overall ?

Forgot to mention but I just realised according to Torch World the L1D actually costs more than the L1T, so really whats the diff. between the two ?

Also assume if I get a L1D would you know what LED will it come with or is it hard to say.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic

Forgot to mention but I just realised according to Torch World the L1D actually costs more than the L1T, so really whats the diff. between the two ?

Also assume if I get a L1D would you know what LED will it come with or is it hard to say.

I would say the L1D is better, as it operate just like a 2-mode light most of the time.

The difference is the brightness and runtime.

The L1D, unless it says otherwise, comes with the Cree P4. If you buy the above linked LEGO pack, it comes with a Cree Q5. There is also a Rebel 80 version floating around out there.

kilgor

Enlightened
Look at the LRI Proton Pro http://www.cfrlights.com/servlet/the-304/cree,-2,-watt,-red,/Detail , the Nitecore Defender http://tadgear.com/x-treme gear/flashlights main/defender_infinity.htm , and this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8751

All have HI hi levels and LOW low levels, which I value.

The LRI will run for 250 hours on low, is very thin, great build quality, and has a reasonably bright high.

The Nitecore will run for 45 hours on low and is the brightest 1AA that i know of.

The DX light is inexpensive, has a LOW low, and is pretty bright.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

L1T is simpler and less costly. It has only 1 low level which is a compromise between a low low for close in work (too bright) and a medium for walking (a bit dim).
L1D Q5 is brighter, have more levels, strobe and SOS if you need it.
Both are too bright for reading a program in a darkened theater without disturbing the other patrons.
I got the L1T because I like simple things, I live downtown (lots of street lights). My requirement was for L0D CE default mode brightness with 3+ hours runtime. The L1T low does that. The available L1D CE low does not. I have to hard press to turn light on low then soft press to get to medium. I was not going to pay an extra $10 so I can work harder. Also if I turn off the L1D accidentally and turn it on again immediately it switches modes to high. If I wait 3 seconds before switching back on I get low. Does not come back on medium.
If you live where there are no streetlights or go for walks in the woods you will probably prefer the L1D Q5 for the extra brightness. It is also a better light for showing off. And the UI is not that complicated. I am just lazy.

If you buy a L1D CE Q5 (also called L1D Q5) the LED will be the Cree 7090 XRE Q5. (brightest)
If you buy a L1D CE the LED will be Cree 7090 XRE bin P4 or Q2 or Q4.
If you buy a L1D RB80 the LED is a Luxeon Rebel 0080 bin. (warmer tint)
If you buy a L1D (no suffix) the LED is a Luxeon III. (dimmest - about the same as your MX power)
Check the full model# before you buy!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1D (or T, makes no difference) is an EDC !
not bright, not good runtime on high/turbo
turbo even eats more power while not being brighter

a good light to have for unplanned use, but really bad when one plans to do something that requires a led,
thats what L2D / P3D are made for.

PS: I usually carry my L1D around and like it for the reasons above, but use a real light when the activity will happen in the dark (or there is a chance for ...).

Wicho

Enlightened
Just get the L1D/P2D Q5 party pack from fenix-store.com. Keep the L1D body on it with an eneloop or other LSD rechargeable and carry the P2D body loaded with a CR123 and the end cap on it. Best of both worlds and you have a spare battery with you.

Also, the L1D is just as bright on high as the P2D is on high. The P2D just gives you the brighter turbo mode.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1D/P2D Q5 party pack from 4 7777's
TORCH_BOY can you suggest to Albinoni some place down under where he can get CR123A batteries at a reasonable price.
One reason I suggested the 2AA tubes (L2x) instead of the 123A tubes (Pxx) is 123A batteries tend to cost 2 for $20 at brick and mortar stores, and you guys are half a world away from the US online dealers.
Umm Torchworld has Tenergy 123A for A$2.50 and Titanium 123A for A$3. Don't know about min quantities/shipping though.

Party pack at 7777. CPF8 discount code gets you 8% off. Minimum order $20 so one 2AA body at $18 won't qualify.
Party Pack at Torchworld.

-----

Albinoni if you get a party pack and a 2AA battery tube you can compare 2AA to CR123A yourself. (saw your other thread)

-----

EDIT
Saw your other thread where you bought a 2AA/CR123 lego set. If you are comfortable with the price of CR123A batteries at your local shop why not just get the best Fenix P3D Q5.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
TORCH_BOY can you suggest to Albinoni some place down under where he can get CR123A batteries at a reasonable price.
One reason I suggested the 2AA tubes (L2x) instead of the 123A tubes (Pxx) is 123A batteries tend to cost 2 for $20 at brick and mortar stores, and you guys are half a world away from the US online dealers.
Umm Torchworld has Tenergy 123A for A$2.50 and Titanium 123A for A$3. Don't know about min quantities/shipping though.

Party pack at 7777. CPF8 discount code gets you 8% off. Minimum order $20 so one 2AA body at $18 won't qualify.
Party Pack at Torchworld.

-----

Albinoni if you get a party pack and a 2AA battery tube you can compare 2AA to CR123A yourself. (saw your other thread)

If you get the party pack and 2AA tube in the same order at fenix-store, the 8% discount applies to the entire order, not individual items. They also have decent prices for Panasonic CR123's, considering it's free international shipping. There are better deals on 123's for those in the US, but not really for abroad.