BadBoy - Which One

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I've read a few threads about the Badboy Minimag conversions and I have a few questions. What exactly is the difference between the 400 and 500? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each? How easy it is to install? (i've installed the Opalec module.)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Have you read dat2zip's "Drop in Module Web Page" ? That should answer your questions. I have the BB400 (selected it due to it's constant brightness runtime vs. the 500's runtime) and except for my "Mr. Bulk LGI-II"...it's the brightest LS that I own!

I prefer mine in a Brinkmann 2 AA Legend, comes with a nice tailcap switch. Was easy to install. I own the Opalec also...your talking apples to oranges...3 LEDs "not so bright" (but very useful!) that run at constant brightness for 10 or more hours vs a LS that runs at constant brightness (very bright!) for 2 hours and then diminishes with the batteries...your toolbox needs both! You can run practically dead batteries in the Opalec Newbeam!

Dave Wright

Enlightened
The 400 regulates the LS at 400 mA. The 500 regulates the LS at 500 mA. For reference, the LS is designed to be run at 350 mA. The 400's minor overdrive gives a little more brightness than stock. The 500 pushes the envelope, but, from what I've read here, at the cost of 25% less battery life, some overheating risk, and less flat regulation. I went with the 400. I don't have a 500 for comparison, but the 400 puts out a satisfactory amount of light and gets plenty hot under extended use despite the lower rating.

Badboys are very easy to install. The instructions on Wayne's web pages are clear and simple. FAQ on Wayne's site include some troubleshooting, but I had no trouble with mine. Module installation is comparable in complexity to installation of the Opalec. There are a couple extra quick and easy tasks with the Badboy. You have to install the optics in the lighthead. Then there's the Kroll tailswitch - a highly recommended accessory.

You'll probably be very pleased, whichever way you go. With the BB in hand, I am no longer tempted to buy an Arc LS. I would run the LS with AA NiMH batteries anyway, and the BB/MM setup is VERY similar to the Arc LS AA at a fraction of the cost.

Darkaway

Enlightened
I have both and for the life of me I can't tell the difference!!! I had them side by side in minimags with identical batteries and to my naked eye they look the same.
Maybe it's the luck of the Luxeon draw.

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
I went with a BB400 in a MiniMag, using the stock twist-on/off control, with no problems. From what I can tell, there is no visible damage so far on the Luxeon emitter or the optics from the constant twisting and contact, and (at least in my setup) there is zero risk of crushing the module by twisting the head on all the way. The threads bottom out on the barrel, in fact. This may be different, due to manufacturing tolerances, AA type, length, etc. so double-check it before you do anything. I didn't want to have to use the Kroll switch because of known problems, added length, not able to fit (very well) in stock nylon holster, can not use in candle mode, etc.

I chose a MiniMag host because they are quite common (I have some 5 of them), looks like a normal (read: DIM!) MiniMag until you turn it on (!) and so then I can get a great reaction out of someone when I hand it to them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

A BB400 with a Q3L upgrade should be waiting on my doorstep tomorrow evening. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Reaper

Enlightened
Don't have a BB yet, but just ordered one a few days ago. A BB400 w/Q3L option. Already have a few Opalec's, one in a Brinkmann 3AA body, so I can say that they are a worthwhile investment for decent brightness and long run-times. The 3AA model of mine had a run-time of over 16hrs AFTER the red warning light came on and this was with batteries that I had drained 3 times in a headlamp and considered dead. The BB400 will also go into a Brinkmann and be paired with my LGI for decent sized, really bright lights. From my point of view, get both for each will serve a different function.

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
*do not* put the BB400/BB500/MadMax in a 3AA flashlight! You will instantly destroy the circuit and the LED.

Just wanted to make sure this was known, as you talked about an Opalec in a 3AA Brinkmann and then a BB400 in a Brinkmann (hopefully not the same one!)

A BB400 w/ Q3L should be on my doorstep this afternoon. Don't be alarmed if you have to wait for a while...but Wayne's backlog may be over with by now. Enjoy!

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering what would be brighter:
a regular BB500 or a BB400 QL3?
also does anyone have a beam shot of the nx-05 vs the mcflood?

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
Thanks everyone...I think I'm going to go with the 400. I'll post when I get it and play with it a little.

Reaper

Enlightened
JSWrightOC.....No, I wasn't planning on putting the Q3L into a Brinkmann 3AA, only the 2AA model. Having a nice BB module burn up would be a waste of money and a good product. However, I did email Wayne about the 3AA mod. not too long ago and he said that it is way back on the backburner with all he has now going on. Hopefully it'll be available one of these days.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my Q3L BadBoy 400 today. It looks very professional and works great.

My first BadBoy is one of the very first ones when Wayne was making everything by hand himself (much more irregularly shaped, but perfectly functional) and then sealing them in shoe goop. The two boards are slightly different shapes/sizes and not even close to parallel. This old one fits best in a Mini Mag; it moves around too much in a Legend.

My new one however features two perfectly round boards that are exactly the same side. The two boards are parallel and the space between is filled with epoxy. Very professional looking (and more of a sandwich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif). This one fits great in a Brinkmann Legend. It doesn't shift from side to side at all. I just set the focus once and so far it hasn't shifted at all. Now I am just happily clicking away with that Legend tail switch. Two thumbs up for Wayne again. He took a product I liked alot and made it even better!!

I definitely recommend the BadBoy 400 and the upgrade to Q3L.

Pat

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
Reaper:

No biggie. I doubt your knowledge not, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't an accidental void of information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think the higher-voltage mod Wayne is creating is called the Wizard, and I believe it is on his sandwich shop page...but I don't know how fast you'll be able to get one. Everyone is so happy with their BadBoys and MadMaxes that he's swamped with orders.

Reaper

Enlightened
JSWrightOC:

It does read like I'll be dropping a BB into a 3AA Brinkmann doesn't it? Guess I'll have to make sure that I denote which model light I'll be using, otherwise someone is sure to try it because he read it here and think it's safe.

I figure I have a two week wait for my BB400 Q3L, so I might as well see how many 2AA Brinkmann's I have around the house. I really don't want to use any of my MM's here, even with a Kroll switch.

Last time I checked his shoppe page, the Wizard was still unavailable. I guess I'll have to check again to make sure.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I THINK (and I am not the expert, so others more knowledgaable than me, please jump in), that the Q3L BB400 is supposed to be brighter and whiter than the standard BB500, that is why it is not offered in the 500.

Anyone else can confirm this?

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
BuddTX:

Buy me a BB500 and I'll tell you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On the subject of BB400 w/ Q3L vs BB500, I wonder which one consumes more power? Obviously the Q3L has a higher Vf (at rated current) but I am thinking the total power disspation may be less than a standard Luxeon driven at 500mA. I guess I'll have to do the math.

Reaper:

Since you didn't specifically say that you were going to use the same Brinkmann body, I took a literal interpretation that you were going to use a completely different unit--however, well knowing that others may assume otherwise, I thought I might make a mention of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My order took just under a week, you might not have to wait that long. Mine shipped shortly after another CPFer's shipped, and he had been waiting 3 weeks. Wayne mentioned he had a backlog...

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Darkaway. I don't have a BB500 but I compared my 400 with a BB500 and I could not ascertain any negligible difference. My decision was finally based like Sigman's on the longer, constant brighter runtime. I also went for the McLux reflector and it's a great combination. It's the BEST MM conversion bar none and Wayne's service is the best also!

Oh yeah, don't forget to install the retaining clip! I thought I wouldn't need it and didn't use it. I was changing batteries and dumped them out. The BB module came out also and fell about 5 feet onto the concrete floor and bounced a couple of times! No harm done and it went back in,(WITH the retaining clip this time!), and worked like nothing happened. Another tribute to Wayne's great product!