Huntlight FT-01 Question

Gary123

Enlightened
Don't know if this is the right place to post this.

I just really love this light. If I don't want to take an expensive jewel of light with me on a trip, and need variable output and a rugged design, I take this one. A little big, but fits in a jacket pocket. I intend to get the new OP reflector from Lighthound to reduce the cree rings (I know I will lose throw).

My questions are: 1) anyone know what latest emitter makes a good upgrade to this light (I assume perhaps a Q5, since a cree is what it came with. 2) How does this light achieve the reductions in output, is it digitally controlled or resistor? and 3) the toughest one, anyone know if it is possible to make the low even lower on this light? Even stock it is not that low, and with a brighter emitter ....

Well, thanks.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an early level Huntlight. You can use a drop in to improve it. I have a 5 level and several single level drop ins that work fine.
If you have 2 levels...it is most likely a resistor on the switch in the tailcap. You can take the switch assy apart- and there will be a very small resistor soldered between two contacts- on the outside. Change the resistor to change the level of output.
However---I like my 5 level drop in...don't have to mess with resistors. I'm not sure what a multi level drop on would do on a 2 level tail switch. Might not work on low?

Gary123

Enlightened
What do you mean by a "5 level drop in?"

My light has 5 levels of constant output. Is there an upgrade drop in with 5 levels or would I just swap out the emitter?

And I just answered my own question about the brightness levels: the light adjusts the PWM for each different output level. I guess there is no way to change that to obtain a lower low if I put in a brighter emitter.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gary,
are you talking about the FT-01PJ or the FT01XSE?
The light engine in FT01XSE is not easily remove because of the glue.
I have been thinking on how to take out the LE in the FT01XSE so that one can use the latest Cree drop-ins.

Gary123

Enlightened
Nanotech:

I have the XSE.

I feel a little silly liking this light with all the improvements that have come out since its release, but its just a workhourse, simple to use, rugged as hell, good throw and spill, and a 130 lumen output on high. Keep me posted on your efforts with upgrading this light.

Last edited: