my G-2 mod question

jcs71

Newly Enlightened
Hi there. I am looking at getting either an olive drab or the camo G-2 and putting the factory led unit in the light. The question I have is would it be worth it to change out the factory lens for a ucl lens?:thinking:

BargainMonkey

Newly Enlightened
It isn't necessary. You aren't in any danger of melting it like you would with a high powered incandescent like a P91. It will definitely transmit more light which will translate to a slightly brighter beam. My preference is the original lens, though. It's going to be a lot tougher than the UCL.

Alero

Enlightened
Original lens is VERY tough! 100% shatterproof. It's lighter too which helps to balance the lightweight G2 body.
That being said, my G2 has a UCL glass lens and stainless steel bezel, along with a nice LED drop-in. I replaced the plastic lens mainly because I accidentally scratched the hell out of it with a screwdriver one day.
You can't break it, but you can sure scratch it!

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Most likely not since the GE Lexan window (sorry for being picky but the front pane of glass/polymer is not a focusing lens it is there to protect the reflector and LED) is already scratch resistant and i think it is AR coated.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Come on it is not scratch resistant at all. I have melted one with a P61 when it activated in my holster while driving. Go to Flashlightlens.com and use their applications guide for the proper size and order a UCL. No scratch no melt goodness. If it would maybe get cracked one day, order another lens. The proper sized ones are thicker that you would guess.

Last edited:

Alero

Enlightened
Does SF actually say it's scratch resistant? Wow they are really stretching the definition on that one! Any Lexan I've ever messed with would scratch fairly easily, including my G2 "lens".

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lexan lens definitely scratches easier than the UCL. I would go with the UCL and Loctite 425 the bezel ring down around it as the UCL is easier to obtain than the Lexan lens.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
I was comparing Lexan to Polycarbonate:ohgeez:my bad. Go ahead on the UCL lens, or heck get a pyrex window (or mineral glass)