LED color question...

Alero

Enlightened
I want to take my Master Replicas Anakin Lightsaber and convert it to a single LED with the UltraSabers kit.
However, I really don't want to use an old LuxIII, K2, or LuxV because they are kinda old school, if you know what I mean.
For a realistic looking lightsaber, brightness is VERY important!

Sooooo....is there an affordable colored LED on a star from somewhere cheap like DX that would be better than what's mentioned above?
I'm especially interested in green (and maybe blue later for my son's saber.)

I suppose the other option is to spend 9 bucks and get a Q5 and put a color filter on it. I know that filters don't really block the light in the color they are, but they never seem to works as well and be as bright as an LED that comed colored.

I hope this is in the right section since it's a question about LED modules!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yes Cree LED's come in blue red and green. You can make all 3 traditional sabre colors. May I add that that is a really cool idea, lightsabre handle flashlights! Sweet

Alero

Enlightened
Haha! I hadn't thought of it as a flashlight! But it would work fine! The blades are easily removable once you install the kit.

Here's the kit I want to get:

http://www.shop.ultrasabers.com/product.sc?categoryId=6&productId=15

Some neat videos on that site if you're in to that sort of thing. I just can't deal with an old school LED in my saber.

I didn't realize Crees come in colors. I can get a Q5 in green?!!!!

Does DX sell those? I haven't seen such a thing for sale before.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll have to go to a specialized dealer for that. If you prefer seoul comes in color as well.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to take my Master Replicas Anakin Lightsaber and convert it to a single LED with the UltraSabers kit.
However, I really don't want to use an old LuxIII, K2, or LuxV because they are kinda old school, if you know what I mean.
For a realistic looking lightsaber, brightness is VERY important!
Cree is super efficient in blue, and white (which is based on blue), and hold a very slight adavantage for Green. (NOTE: be sure to get Cree XR-E, not XR) However, in the other colors, the old Lux-III emitters are still the best available. In red, the Lux-III is by far the best emitter you can get -- both in efficiency and overall output.

ANY single color LED will be more efficient than filtering a white LED. IF you actually WANT a white lightsaber, then using a SSC-P4, or Cree XR-E Q5 will be your best bet.

Alero

Enlightened
Wow thanks for the info!

Now I can't decide between a LuxIII in green and a Q5 in blue. I'm sure the Cree is brighter, but green seems to be brighter to the human eye, so the percieved brightness might actually be about the same. ?

I never cared for ones in the reddish spectrum. Red isn't seen very well by the human eye in my opinion.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
but the bad guys always used red sabers
(and the good ones are whiners) ;)

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I can't decide between a LuxIII in green and a Q5 in blue. I'm sure the Cree is brighter, but green seems to be brighter to the human eye, so the percieved brightness might actually be about the same. ?
Note: the lumen ratings for any of these LEDs already takes into account human eye sensitivity, so you can easily compare the apparent brightnesses from the datasheets.

Blue will most likely be lower in perceived brightness, even though the chips are super-efficient, because of low eye sensitivity. However, saturate blue is a rare color to find at all, so I think it would look more distinctive than green, just IMO.

I never cared for ones in the reddish spectrum. Red isn't seen very well by the human eye in my opinion.
If you get the red-orange luxeon-III, and push it to its rated limit with good heatsinking, it will produce 140 bulb-lumens. I tried building a bike tail-light from a red Lux-III (not as bright as red-orange) w/ a maglite head and frosted lens, and found it was way too intense, almost painful to look at. A lightsaber with one of those would definitely be seen.

leon-qcg

Newly Enlightened
:candle::candle::candle::candle::candle:CREE come in RED, Blue or Green,,where, could you pls leave a link for me, I haven't seen such a light before, it seems that most of the persons would like black ones, may the manufacture can make them to your order...:):)

Vermonter73

Enlightened
Go search on DealExtreme or KaiDomain for "Red Cree".

Only problem is that they need a different Vf than the "standard" 7090-XRE

leon-qcg

Newly Enlightened
:sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh: unlucky I can not access both of the sites, may I can get the info from our manufacture,,,however, thank you so much....:)