Malkoff M60 Q5 vs. BOG P60 Q5 - initial comparisons

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Okay guys - it seems that no one has actually done a Malkoff Q5 vs. BOG Q5 comparison.

So - I've been able to acquire (via BST) two P60 compliant modules. One is a Malkoff high power Cree Q5 (the M60), the other is a Bug Out Gear Cree Q5 Super Premium Module (the BOG-Q5).

I purposefully purchased these modules via BST so that there is absolutely zero possibility of a pre-tuned unit to give one an advantage over another. Sort of a purposeful double blind, if you will.

I'm using SureFire 6P's for this test. One 6P is the older, round body style, the other is a newer style with the 2 flat sides and the anti-roll head.

Both flashlights are using AW's rechargeable batteries, that have been charged and rested for one complete overnight period.

So - without further adieu, here's the pictures.

Starting off - the contenders.

malkoffbog1.jpg

SureFire 6P with the BOG on the left, SureFire Round Bodied 6P on the right with the Malkoff

malkoffbog2.jpg

A bezel view. BOG on the left, Malkoff on the right. Note the deep reflector of the BOG, and the combination method used on the Malkoff.

malkoffbog3.jpg

Everything broken down to their components.

malkoffbog4.jpg

The back side of the two units. BOG on the left, Malkoff on the right.

malkoffbog5.jpg

The front side of the two units. BOG on the left, Malkoff on the right. Both units were placed in the bezel head of the respective 6P's to make them stand.

malkoffbog6.jpg

Taking the 6P Classic round body, I inserted the Malkoff unit and closed it. Note that the Malkoff unit will close all the way down and that the BOG unit is to the side.

malkoffbog7.jpg

Taking the same flashlight - note that the BOG unit is inside, and the Malkoff unit is out of the 6P. There is a rather huge gap. BOG does note that this gap will exist in their web site, so they warn people up front. That's good business - they let the consumer decide.

And - a white wall shot. Since I'm doing this during the day, I will do night shots (or will attempt to do night shots) later tonight.

malkoffbog8.jpg

BOG on the left, Malkoff on the right. Note that the BOG unit gives a hot spot in the center and a flood ring. There's also a slight halo around the flood ring.

The Malkoff unit has a slightly bigger hot spot and has a more gradual taper out to the edges.

We'll see what tonight brings...or if I can even pull off doing a night time shot to begin with.

Hope this helps - this is the start of many shots (I'm sure...)

-Steve

IcantC

Enlightened
Great so far. Can't wait to see outdoor night shots. Thanks for doing this.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beastmaster...I have several BOG Q5's and a couple Malkoff Q5's. You should try using the hex bezel with your 6P and see if that helps. I found that on some of my lights, there are no gaps at all, but on others, there is a small gap...although nothing as wide as the one in your pictures. I have my BOG in a 6P, Z2, and G2...and Malkoff in a 9P and G2. I had to mix & match to find out which bezels fit best. Hope that helps.

Great pics and very informative review!

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Okay - inside flood shots.

The purpose of this was to see how much spill you get.

These two shots are as amateurish as you can get. But - you will get the idea as to which one gives you better spill.

Starting off - the Malkoff M60 Q5:
malkoff_flood.jpg

Note that the Malkoff is able to light up more of the washroom - you can see details of the washing machine lid, and you're able to see the stuff near/around the sink.

bog_flood.jpg

The BOG has decent spill too, but it's a harsher line. It's not as gradiated as the Malkoff.

More shots as I can get them.

-Steve

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Thanks. I'm more interested in two things. One - keeping my SF's as original as possible, so this means that I need to find modules that make them work well and in it's near original condition.

Second - I'm going back into what I call "Cop Mode". As a flashaholic (who's an ex LEO), I can play Lego SureFire all day long. If I was a beat cop - I wouldn't be dinking with it. I want a drop in that works the first time, all the time, and fits exactly the same as the original equipment.

-Steve

Beastmaster...I have several BOG Q5's and a couple Malkoff Q5's. You should try using the hex bezel with your 6P and see if that helps. I found that on some of my lights, there are no gaps at all, but on others, there is a small gap...although nothing as wide as the one in your pictures. I have my BOG in a 6P, Z2, and G2...and Malkoff in a 9P and G2. I had to mix & match to find out which bezels fit best. Hope that helps.

Great pics and very informative review!

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 newer 6Ps with BOG Q5 & Malkoff Q5 and my experiences match Beastmaster's. I love the Malkoff's warmth, & wide "edgeless" beam on my nightly walks. Great companion to my Q5 MRV. Kinda of a mini R500 Scorpion.

I use the BOG in more of a tactical bump-in-the-night role around the residence when I need to light something up with a blast of white light.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Okay - night shots, first attempt.

Equipment - Canon Digital Rebel. f4.0, 1/3 of a second, ISO 400, 42mm perspective.

Aiming point - the garbage can, Hummer H1 hood, and 38x15.5x16.5 tires in the far background. Distance - 40 meters.

I purposefully shot this to show that you need to be able to navigate yard floaties (dog waste) and also light up the far items as well.

First up - the BOG.

bog_night.jpg

Next up - the Malkoff

malkoff_night.jpg

This is one of those shots that show that the Malkoff is a bit more floody. The BOG has a bit more throw....well, quite a bit more throw.

Now - going to what I call "Cop Mode"....if I was doing room clearings and for good general purpose police/tactical use, the Malkoff would win hands down in my view.

However, since I did spend time in rural areas, the BOG would win out slightly because of the sheer amount of throw.

In the pictures, both drop ins would give you more than enough throw and flood to do the job right.

More as I can take them.

-Steve

Note - for comparison's sake - here's the SureFire P60 LED Lamp Assembly.

p60LED_night.jpg

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff did a great job with the latest M60 Q5. I'm really impressed with it. I love the way the spill just floods out everywhere, and you also have an intense hot spot. Your pictures do a great job of showing how well and even it lights things up.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Depends.

I just got back in from playing in the front yard. Pictures, of course - major suckage. I have Sodium Vapor street lamps placed every 50 yards, so long distance beam shots are impossible. I'm not even going to try and process them.

Overall - I love both.

However, if I had to choose one over the other right now - the Malkoff wins hands down. It's a great combination of flood and throw, and the sheer amount of light it puts out is amazing. A lot of that has to do with how the drop in is designed. It's just plain excellent.

The BOG in it's current state is "pretty good". It's got great throw, and decent flood, but it's transition is a bit uneven (the pics show it).

I hate to say it, I'd place the BOG second. The M60 seems to be the all around winner here. I am a bit saddened, because I've heard such great things about the BOG from other CPF'ers. The M60 is definitely one that's gotten great results from fellow CPF'ers, and this test just proves it again.

Does this mean that I don't like/trust the BOG drop in? I'd trust it with my life - it's definitely a great drop in. However, the Malkoff M60 just plain beats it out in the tests that I've done so far.

-Steve
And the winner is... :popcorn:

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Thanks. Thank God for digital cameras and SLR's with manual control.

I really like the M60 as well. I think the biggest issue with the BOG is the reflector - the orange peel isn't "peely" enough - making the transition a bit strange. Lumpy even.

The other odd thing is that the bezel on the new 6P is such that it also affects the BOG - you get these round humps at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 o'clock positions if you're doing white wall shots. These humps correspond with the bezel's inside ring that holds the pyrex lens in.

I don't get that with the Malkoff.

-Steve

Malkoff did a great job with the latest M60 Q5. I'm really impressed with it. I love the way the spill just floods out everywhere, and you also have an intense hot spot. Your pictures do a great job of showing how well and even it lights things up.

BigD64

Enlightened
Nice Job. I was recently got a Malkoff Q5 and was toying with the Idea of getting a BOG. I think I'll stick with Eugene.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great...More money to shell out :duh2: . I have Deerelight Q5, Wolf-Eyes Q5 and BOG Q5 modules. Now I simply will not be content without an M60 in the collection...

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nice review Beastmaster. I've been curious about the BOG but after seeing the pic and reading your review I think I still like the Malkoff.

Nice job.

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
However, if I had to choose one over the other right now - the Malkoff wins hands down. It's a great combination of flood and throw, and the sheer amount of light it puts out is amazing. A lot of that has to do with how the drop in is designed. It's just plain excellent.

-Steve

Beastmaster: I totally agree with you. I just came in from my back deck where I had The BOG Q5 and the Malkoff both running in Vital Gear FB2's with fresh AW's. I have exactly 30 yards from my deck to my neighbors fence. In my yard I have several hardwood trees at varying distances. I alternately lit up the yard, trees and a detached out-building. My own personal opinion is that the Malkoff is warmer tinted, showed the leaves on the ground in better detail and imho, held it's own in throw. Maybe if I had more distance, the BOG would show better throw. I don't think I would buy another BOG. I would definately buy another Malkoff!

I currently switched the Malkoff into an FB3 running on AW's 17500's. I don't know how much extra runtime I'll get, but an excellent drop-in, in a relatively small flashlight with good runtime....I'm happy:thumbsup:

Best Regards:
Bob