Novatac 85P

redryder

Enlightened
The Novatac 85P has been discontinued. Does anyone know why? (Low demand?) Would service become a problem? Thanks.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I read somewhere that it was low demand. There has been speculation that the 85P was simply a 120P without the extra level so I do not think service would be a problem.

cv3po

Banned
Welcome!

I don't own any Novatac lights but I'm guessing that they killed the 85 because the newer, more efficient and brighter LED's made it obsolete. With their dimming functions you can buy a 120lm or 150lm or whatever they are up to now and dim it down to whatever you need so there is no demand for a lower overall brightness model. Just get the brightest model you can afford and dim it as needed. Good luck!

KenAnderson

Enlightened
85P is one of the best deals available today if you can find one. $100 for a completely programmable light that goes from .08 lumen to 85 and remember that's 85 out the front lumens. Many makers quote bulb lumens which are quite a bit higher.

Rat6P

Enlightened
I agree. For $100 this a pretty nice deal. Just picked one up for myself from Lighthound.com:)twothumbs) and love it. Much smaller than I thought. Excellent form and shape
For me I wanted the P version so I could program the first level to either high or super low as required ( not have it stuck like in the EDC or T versions).
This and the Massive difference in price between the 120P was the deal sealer for me. Sure 85 is not as bright as 120 (its still bright though).
I dont really have a use for a light with a less than 1 hour runtime on max. Sure I couldve gotten the 120P and programmed it for a lower level, and I would have, but IMHO the 120 is not worth "that" ( $100 vs $190) much more than the 85......so easy decision( for me).
I recommend the 85P for sure, plus you will be able to up grade the emitter later on and it will end up being a 120P or 130 something P anyway. (of course this means the low levels will also be a bit brighter.)

Last edited:

arty

Enlightened
I got an 85P as well, in part because of the cost difference.
Perhaps they sold too well?

scottaw

Enlightened
It was a tougher decision when the 120's were $150 and the 85's were $110, but with the huge price difference, the 85 is a sweet deal. I grabbed a used 120 and i love it.