Nitecore Defender V MTE C3 - 70101

Albinoni

Banned
Out of these two torches both are very similar in looks infact quite identical and it would not surprise me if they both come from the same factory and also I believe both are made in China (nothing wrong with that providing the quality is good). Out of the two in terms of durability which is tougher ?

But out of the two overall I would say the Nitecore will win hands down due to its lumens and a slightly brighter light. Plus again you pay more for it.

According to the MTE website it says the following "SSCP4 LED or CREE LED or Rebel LED - three different LEDs depending on your choice" so assume if someone buys one these torches how would they know what LED comes with it, I mean are these torches being built with different LED's. Also are any of the LEDs mentioned above a Luxeon LED ? Also are these two torches slightly larger than the 1xAA Fenixes and which Fenix model would be equivalent to the Nitecore Defender or the MTE C3 ?

I just wish I knew a shop here in Australia that sold either one of the above so I could price it and have a good look at one.

Marduke

Flashaholic
DealExtreme sells MTE, free shipping. Fenix-Store also has free shipping.

The MTE C3 is a copy in looks alone of the DI, and will not have the same quality. It doesn't even have HA-III anodizing.

Luxeon makes the Rebel, and Cree actually makes the ship for SSC and sells it to them in South Korea, so they are very. The Cree and Rebel are made in the US. You can tell the difference just by looking at them, but only if you're familiar with LED's. There are numerous threads around here on how to visually identify the brands.

The L1D compares to the DI, but the C3 is a much cheaper light and really shouldn't be in the same comparison. It's like comparing a Kia to a Toyota. Sure, you can, but why??

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I think they just look similar.. Look closer, there's some differences, namely the larger head on the NiteCore.

I think it's just the tacticool thing that makes 'em look the same.

mchlwise

Enlightened
Yeah, they're similar but certainly not identical. Looking at the pictures on the screen and the Nitecore on my desk in front of me, there are significant differences.

There's also no mention on DX about how the light functions. :shrug:

Albinoni

Banned
I was originally planning to get a MTE 70101 but at the same time I also like the ND, so now I'm really dammed on which to get. Ok the MTE is cheaper but at the same time its a good torch and will do the job for me, just like my other ones do. Also DealXtreme are offeriing a good price on the MTE. Also the ND hasnt got the glow in the dark switch like the MTE but thats not a plus for me, if I get it I get it, if I dont than no skin off my shoulder. But in terms of overall features the Nitecore is slightly more.

1. It says the MTE comes with either "SSCP4 LED or CREE LED or Rebel LED" if
you had a choice which one would you pick and which one would have the
whitest and brightst LED? Also how would I know which one has the Cree,
they might send me out a torch with a Rebel or SSC in it when I want a
Cree.

2. Anyone offering a good deal on the Notecore with free shipping ?
3. Is the NC also made in China ?
4. Does the NC come in black as well ?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1. Well, the Seoul will give a smoother beam. If you buy from DX, you would probably get the one you ordered(If you buy the 20 mode one, that you would probably get that instead of the 5 mode Q5 one).
2. Not sure
3. Both are made in China
4. It will be a darker shade, more greyish.

Albinoni

Banned
Now assume I buy a MTE off DealXtreme, during the online process when I fill out the order form and pay with my CC do I get an option on the form to choose what type of LED I want eg Cree, Luxeon, Rebel etc etc.

This is the bonus of buying from a shop where you can physically see and try what your buying. Personally I prefer the whiter/brighter type of LED's.

A good eg. was when I bought a LED torch last week, there were two of the same type in the shop, I picked one up switched it on and it was a nice white LED, so I asked to try the other one and compared it with the first one and the 2nd one was actually brighter and whiter. But the only trye way is to put both aside and shiine them both on something black, though both the torches were the same brand, model etc, just the 2nd one had a slightly more whiter LED and bit more brighter.

Last thing I want is a LED torch from overseas, get it, than not happy because the LED is not to my liking.

kilgor

Enlightened
2. Anyone offering a good deal on the Notecore with free shipping ?

Tadgear.com is the only supplier of the Nitecore in the US right now. It's $79.95 + about $6 shipping.

3. Is the NC also made in China ?

Yep.

4. Does the NC come in black as well ?

Nope, only very dark olive drab.

These two lights may look similar, but the user interface is totally different.

Also the Nitecore has a Q5 led, a forward clicky, and is presumably of much higher quality. My Nitecore is VERY bright and well made.

I have an MTE 20 mode with a rebel led on the way and am curious to see if it's worth the $23.

Latest posts