LCD Projection TV or LCD Flat Panel?

dad3and3

Newly Enlightened
Ok, looking for a new TV and after listening to sales people I am really confused so I thought I would ask.

Seems like I can get a 70+ inch LCD Projection TV for about the same price as a 52 inch flat panel LCD.

What am I missing? Is there advantages and or disadvantages to either? What should I be looking for?

Thanks, any help would be apprecieted.

kboy25

Newly Enlightened
I think you are a bit confused
I don't think there is such a thing as LCD projection. You maybe looking at LED projection tv.

your projection TV is most likely a DLP.

so your questions is more along the lines of DLP vs LCD.

As you found out you can get more bang for the buck with the DLP. Bigger screen, HD, and with the new LED light no light replacement. On the downside the DLP is not wall mountable and is slightly bigger

It basically comes down to preference.
good luck :)

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are LCD projection TVs too... Pass the light though an LCD panel then project on screen.

From the above link, a quick comparison (I am sure there are better and more current reviews):

What's the weight and thickness of LCDs?
LCDs are between CRT and DLP rear projection when it comes to size and weight. Sets in the 40-50" range generally weigh less than 100 pounds while larger sets can weight as much as 200 pounds. LCDs are known for their thin build, and even the largest of models aren't more than 20" thick. Expect most LCD rear projection televisions around 12-18" thick.

What has a better picture: CRT, LCD, LCOS, DLP?
First off, eliminate CRT based solely on lack of technology, and LCOS because LCOS format isn't as common as DLP or LCD rear projection, though LCOS is considered a supped-up version of LCD. The main competitor to LCD is digital light processing. Side by side, LCD and DLP are two of the finest television pictures regardless of the make or model. It boils down to individual taste. Personally, I like DLP technology in rear projection, but LCD rear projection is a very close second. I really don't notice much of a difference between the two formats until the 55"+ sizes.

Note: Both technologies have possible side effects. Some people say LCDs demonstrate a 'screen door' effect - meaning the picture is pixilated and appears as if you're watching TV through a screen door. Because DLP uses refracted light, some say it has a 'rainbow effect', which basically causes the red, green, and blue light to form a rainbow. These are things you should notice immediately upon viewing a television, but it's important to put'em on the table for future reference.
Your mileage may vary...

-Bill

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a Sony KDFE-50a10 for 3 years now and it is a great rear projection LCD tv. The tv is about 16" deep and weighs about 70 lbs. The great thing is this tv cost much less than the flat panel LCD tv's.

This TV was selling at Circuit City for $999.

The tv does have a screen door effect at closer viewing but when seated at distances of 8' or more the SD effect goes away completely. When viewing HD it is lessend even more.

They sell a RP version now that has a scan rate of 120hz that is suppose to help with fast moving programs like football, ect.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a 42" Westinghouse LCD flat panel HDTV a few months ago. Every single projection tv I looked at got dimmer as I moved away from a straight-on viewing angle. Terrible! I've never seen a projection tv that I liked much. I'm so glad I went with the LCD flat panel!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I bought a 42" Westinghouse LCD flat panel HDTV a few months ago. Every single projection tv I looked at got dimmer as I moved away from a straight-on viewing angle. Terrible! I've never seen a projection tv that I liked much. I'm so glad I went with the LCD flat panel!
My mom bought that very same TV (42" 1080p). Very nice picture. I'm with you on the projection TVs. Poor off-angle viewing, and you need a pretty dark room for the picture not to look washed out.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very pleased with the picture quality of my Westinghouse. And it's full 1080p, and for a lot less than many other 42"tv's that might be only 1080i. It was a $1200 tv, but they gave me $300 off if I signed up for DirecTV. I was going to anyway, so it was a no-brainer!

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not seen very many high definition projection tv's in 1080p sharpness yet.
I did want one, but never really found one that could cut the mustard.

However, there are quite a few hi definition 1080p direct view flat panel models out now that really rock.
Look for the ones with the 120 hertz feature.
More frames per second really looks great with a good signal to the TV.
Action movies are quite a sight with that. :eek:oo:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a LCD flatpanel for the ability to mount it where I wanted it. Mine is up 6 foot on a wall and, only sticks out about 4 inches at most, where I find it is best for everyone in the room to view it from almost any angle, even someone almost, but not quite, 90 degrees to it can see it fairly well. Once ou go with a flatpanel HD, anything else seems positively boring.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My almost 10YO 32" RCA TV fits EXTREMELY well where it is. I've seen Hi Def where we play poker and I can't see that much different.

Until it dies, DirecTV won't support it or the Government MAKES me it stays right where it is!

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, looking for a new TV and after listening to sales people I am really confused so I thought I would ask.

Seems like I can get a 70+ inch LCD Projection TV for about the same price as a 52 inch flat panel LCD.

What am I missing? Is there advantages and or disadvantages to either? What should I be looking for?

Thanks, any help would be apprecieted.
What LCD Projection TV are you referring to? As others have stated, LCD Projection TVs are not generally considered one the major technologies that are directly compared.

The three major HD TV types are: LCD flat panels, Plasma flat panels, and Rear Projection. Rear Projection is comprised of 3-4 different technologies, IMO, DLP is the leader as evidenced by the cutting edge theaters that use DLP technology.

Which is best for you depends on your individual situation. If you're trying to create an actual home theater with controlled lighting and viewing angle, then Plasma or DLP will give you the best theater quality picture.

Plasma is a power hog, has a diminishing life and is more expensive in larger screen sizes and is not considered an emerging technology.

DLP technology has evolved since the 70's and is a very proven and reliable technology. It is without question the best bang for the buck in large screen HD TVs today. Large screen TVs used to come with a sacrifice of picture quality in order to have that large screen, but not any more with 1080p HD TV.

LCD flat panel HD TVs are the largest selling category in the market today. Consumers consider them as "sexy." Their advantages are that they can be wall mounted, have wider viewing angles and are less subject to glare and washout from uncontrolled light sources. Their disadvantages are that the color quality lacks the realism that Plasma and DLP offers, the refresh rate is slower and can create motion problems for things like high speed sports and serious gaming, they are more expensive, and don't offer larger screen sizes.

If you're considering an LCD panel, my advice is to buy top tier quality with the newest technology. That would be the new 1080p 120 Hz panels which address the slower refresh rates and offer better clarity. The big box stores offer 3-4 choices: Mitsubishi, Samsung, Sharp and Sony - my choice is Mitsubishi.

Samsung is the best seller with a dramatic in-your-face effect with their 120 Hz technology. It creates an unnatural realism that you either love or hate......many panels are returned.

Sony is a very well rated panel and IMO offers a more realistic color rendition than Samsung. It suffers with some motion problems in it's 120 technology, but not as much as Samsung and is the highest priced of all mentioned.

Mitsubishi offers a conservative 120 Hz technology that simply works. No disconcerting dramatic effects, just clarity and a faster refresh rate to address the motion issues of LCD panels. They have the thinnest bezel which means the TV can fit into smaller spaces (looks good, too), and it has a proprietary color adjustment called Perfect Color that allows you to adjust 6 colors individually giving much more control over color adjustment.

DLP as my rear projector technology of choice, breaks down into light engine choices - bulb or LED. Samsung is into their 2nd generation LED light engine and did a respectable job with it.

Mitsubishi skipped LED in lui of laser technology which is due out in 08, but their current light engines use bulbs which are good for about 6000 hours. The downside of bulbs are that you have to replace them, the upside is that you can and when you do, you have a like new TV. Current generation Mitsubishi DLPs should have a life of 10-15 years or longer.

Btw, the Sony rear projector uses a different technology than DLP and does a good job, but has a much higher incidence of repair than DLP.

Hope I've answered more questions than I've created.

dad3and3

Newly Enlightened
What LCD Projection TV are you referring to? As others have stated, LCD Projection TVs are not generally considered one the major technologies that are directly compared.

The three major HD TV types are: LCD flat panels, Plasma flat panels, and Rear Projection. Rear Projection is comprised of 3-4 different technologies, IMO, DLP is the leader as evidenced by the cutting edge theaters that use DLP technology.

Which is best for you depends on your individual situation. If you're trying to create an actual home theater with controlled lighting and viewing angle, then Plasma or DLP will give you the best theater quality picture.

Plasma is a power hog, has a diminishing life and is more expensive in larger screen sizes and is not considered an emerging technology.

DLP technology has evolved since the 70's and is a very proven and reliable technology. It is without question the best bang for the buck in large screen HD TVs today. Large screen TVs used to come with a sacrifice of picture quality in order to have that large screen, but not any more with 1080p HD TV.

LCD flat panel HD TVs are the largest selling category in the market today. Consumers consider them as "sexy." Their advantages are that they can be wall mounted, have wider viewing angles and are less subject to glare and washout from uncontrolled light sources. Their disadvantages are that the color quality lacks the realism that Plasma and DLP offers, the refresh rate is slower and can create motion problems for things like high speed sports and serious gaming, they are more expensive, and don't offer larger screen sizes.

If you're considering an LCD panel, my advice is to buy top tier quality with the newest technology. That would be the new 1080p 120 Hz panels which address the slower refresh rates and offer better clarity. The big box stores offer 3-4 choices: Mitsubishi, Samsung, Sharp and Sony - my choice is Mitsubishi.

Samsung is the best seller with a dramatic in-your-face effect with their 120 Hz technology. It creates an unnatural realism that you either love or hate......many panels are returned.

Sony is a very well rated panel and IMO offers a more realistic color rendition than Samsung. It suffers with some motion problems in it's 120 technology, but not as much as Samsung and is the highest priced of all mentioned.

Mitsubishi offers a conservative 120 Hz technology that simply works. No disconcerting dramatic effects, just clarity and a faster refresh rate to address the motion issues of LCD panels. They have the thinnest bezel which means the TV can fit into smaller spaces (looks good, too), and it has a proprietary color adjustment called Perfect Color that allows you to adjust 6 colors individually giving much more control over color adjustment.

DLP as my rear projector technology of choice, breaks down into light engine choices - bulb or LED. Samsung is into their 2nd generation LED light engine and did a respectable job with it.

Mitsubishi skipped LED in lui of laser technology which is due out in 08, but their current light engines use bulbs which are good for about 6000 hours. The downside of bulbs are that you have to replace them, the upside is that you can and when you do, you have a like new TV. Current generation Mitsubishi DLPs should have a life of 10-15 years or longer.

Btw, the Sony rear projector uses a different technology than DLP and does a good job, but has a much higher incidence of repair than DLP.

Hope I've answered more questions than I've created.

Thanks everyone for all the information. Getting your unbiased opinions is a great help and plain english explainations is even a bigger help.

I think I have narrowed it down to the Mitsubishi DLPs as I seem to be able to get more bang for the buck regarding TV size. The larger size of the DLP isn't a problem and after looking at lots of sets, I am not sure I like the LCD rendition of color and the brightness is, in some, just too much. I checked out the replacement process of the bulb and it looks very simple. So now I just have to decide on a size and go pry open my wallet.

Are there any formulas to determine TV size using room measurements? Our room is 12' wide by 20' long and I actually have room for a 73" set but that seems like overkill to me. Funny part is, my wife is pushing the 73" set, seems like it should be the other way around.

Thanks

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
With 1080p, you only NEED 9 feet of distance for a 73" (8 feet for a 65"), however, that's too close for me. When I go to a movie theater, I sit about 2/3 of the way back because I want to be able to see the entire screen w/o scanning it.

Your room is big enough for a 73" if you want it. In your case, I don't think that I'd go smaller than a 65".

Which model are you looking at? (there are 3 different models of each size)

dad3and3

Newly Enlightened
Well we are pretty well set on the Diamond Series 65" I think the model is MD65-833. We looked again at the 73" model but it is a grand more and I just think it would overwhelm the room, at least the first row of seats and that is where my recliner is.

Going from an old 50" square to a 65" will be a big upgrade for us. Hopefully we won't have to alter too much of the cabinetry to get it in. One good thing, I think I will be able to rewire all the gear and make a much cleaner set up since we just kept adding onto the old unit.

Thanks

With 1080p, you only NEED 9 feet of distance for a 73" (8 feet for a 65"), however, that's too close for me. When I go to a movie theater, I sit about 2/3 of the way back because I want to be able to see the entire screen w/o scanning it.

Your room is big enough for a 73" if you want it. In your case, I don't think that I'd go smaller than a 65".

Which model are you looking at? (there are 3 different models of each size)

Numbers

Enlightened
I have a wall with a tv space that is 4ft 10in wide (not diagonal) and my couch is 16 feet away from it. What is the ideal size LCD to hang on that wall?
Also please name your favorite brand. Which should I buy?

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well we are pretty well set on the Diamond Series 65" I think the model is MD65-833. We looked again at the 73" model but it is a grand more and I just think it would overwhelm the room, at least the first row of seats and that is where my recliner is.

Going from an old 50" square to a 65" will be a big upgrade for us. Hopefully we won't have to alter too much of the cabinetry to get it in. One good thing, I think I will be able to rewire all the gear and make a much cleaner set up since we just kept adding onto the old unit.

Thanks
Top end!! I don't think that there's a better set on the market. I don't know where you're buying, so I don't know comparative prices. Check out the 734 series if it's available to you. It has about 70% of the features of the Diamond series, less the looks, at a decent amount less. I'd say that you can probably buy the 73" 734 series for the same amount as the 65" Diamond.

If you simply want the best with the most features, then go with the Diamond. The Diamond not only has HDMI, but Firewire too, and a Net Command feature that'll let you control all of your analog devices with the Mitsubishi remote through the TV. (The 734 has Net Command but not Firewire)

"Numbers I have a wall with a tv space that is 4ft 10in wide (not diagonal) and my couch is 16 feet away from it. What is the ideal size LCD to hang on that wall?
Also please name your favorite brand. Which should I buy?"

The largest LCD flat panel commonly sold now that I know of is 52". I would certainly recommend at least that size for a viewing distance of 16 feet.

My choice would be a Mitsubishi 144 or 244 series. Both will fit in your space with 5 inches of clearance on each side. The Mitsubishi has the thinnest bezel in this size panel on the market that I know of.

Last edited: