Photos of Incredible snowfall in Colorado!

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE is located in an area that's expected to get between three and five feet of snow during this storm! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif We already have about 20 inches with drifts of three feet or more!

The power is obviously going to be out before too long - I'm already noticing the lights are flickering! If we don't respond to e-mails, etc., you'll know that we've been burried alive in snow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We have about six hours of battery back-up for our computers and phones assuming phone service is still up and running. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan.

darkgear.com

Enlightened
Re: Incredible snowfall in Colorado Mountains!

Time to get out some firewood and marshmallows. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We are no where near as high nor do we expext as much snow but its been snowing here all day and night too. I love it!

Best regards,
Randy

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

Hi Randy! Do you normally get snow where you are? This storm is huge! The forcast now calls for three to six feet of snow where we are! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

WOW! Even though I live in Anchorage, Alaska (no we don't live in igloos) we don't get that type of snow! I'd have to look for the "specifics" but I believe average for us in a winter is 50" - 70", in that ballpark. There are "good and bad" years though. In Valdez (where the Alaskan Pipeline terminates) they get an average of 300" of the fluffy white stuff!

But a snowfall that much in that short of a period of time...be safe! Hope you've got rations!

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

And after the backup power dies out you'll have to go find a flashlight somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Whew! I sure am selfishly glad you got my shipment out yesterday! Heh heh. Thank you again, by the way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Hey, I sure hope some of that snow makes comes to south of Boston. I bought a great snowblower this year and not only have I been justifying its purchase but it's a lot of fun making mazes in the yard for the kiddies to run through. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
Hope you've got rations!

[/ QUOTE ]

Potential quote from Dan:
"Yick, this MRE sure is bland... Hey Joe would ya please pass me the pepper spray!"

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in Colorado too (but not in the mountains) and it's been snowing all night and morning. We currently only have a couple of inches, but the forecast is for up to 3 feet. I keeping hoping for a power outage, but no luck yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

A buddy sent me some photos from his house outside CO. Springs this AM, wow. Being near the water it makes me think of flooding once it starts to melt.

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

Hi guys! I'm still here, but almost burried alive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We now have about three feet of snow! FedEx has cancelled all pick-ups and deliveries for Conifer, Colorado today. I'm hoping things will be back to normal tomorrow, but forcasters say we have another two feet coming our way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif We've lost power throughout the day, but the juice is up and running right now!

Dan.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good to know you are still alive! Stay safe and stay warm!!! MB

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

snowman3.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KDC

Newly Enlightened

That storm front dumped 4.34 inches into my rain guage over
the weekend. A similar one dropped 4.75 inches on February
12, so you can expect about as much snow as you got a month
ago, roughly.
I hope your FedEx guy is good friends with whoever drives
the snow plow!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

could those be the same clouds that dumped 6 inches of rain on the mountains and inland valleys Saturday night -- Sunday? caught only about 3 inches here as it passed over the coast...

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

WOW! That's a lot of rain! Isn't six inches of rain roughly equivalent to six feet of snow? Conifer had 40 inches as of 4 1/2 hours ago (the highest in Colorado). I think we're up to 47 inches now! The latest forecast calls for an additional 24 - 36 inches tonight and tomorrow morning. We are buried in snow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Dan.

Tombeis

Enlightened

Dan:

I trust your snow removal crews are plowing with the storm. Otherwise it may take until July for you to dig out.

I said last fall the we (in Ohio) were going to have a cold and snowy winter. So far I have be right.

I hope for your sake my prediction about have a late spring is wrong.

Take care.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
TACTICAL WAREHOUSE said:
WOW! That's a lot of rain! Isn't six inches of rain roughly equivalent to six feet of snow? ...snip...

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to that one is "it depends" - there is something called the QPF - basically a measurement of "how much snow for each inch of rain"

Runs from around 8-10 (a little lower - VERY heavy wet snow) to upwards of 18 - light dry snow. This is for SNOW not mixed precip, obviously, it can go down to 1:1

So with 6" of rain, you are talking 48" to 108" of snow. You really want to check the models! To do that, go to waether.gov, click on your county, and look near the bottom right of the forecast page - you'll see a line called "forecast discussion" - aka what they are "thinking", and why

Charles Gallo
Skywarn Spotter
EC - Queens County ARES
Queens Radio Officer, NYC RACES

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Here in Seattle I'm still waiting for the first snowflake in about a year, so I can get in my electric wheelchair and do doughnuts on the sidewalk or in one of those Diamond parking lots, and shoot my green laser out the window and onto the new fallen snow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I never got to hang Christmas lights up this time around, so I need SOMETHING fun to do before the 4th of July holiday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's a few web cams for you folks who have never been to Colorado. Myself, I'm a Denver native and lived half my life there. This is the Schaffer's Crossing cam and this is a group of cam links that are based out of Pine Junction just down the road.

Dan, according to the National Weather Service, you may be in for 7 ft. total snowfall. Another weather related anomaly in a land that is known for weather anomalies (God, I miss interesting weather!). You do know of course, in two days it'll be 65 degrees out. Better find your waders!!

Dan

Oh Charles, the general rule of thumb I grew up with is 1" of water for every 12" of Colorado powder. However, the marine snow (Cascade Concrete) that falls around here is 1" of water for every 5-6" of snow. No such thing as hard-packed snow, this stuff goes right to ice under the tires. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Dan,

Didn't you tell me that it was 60F there a couple of days ago? Wow, things change fast.

Look on the bright side. It's only a little over 13 weeks to summer solstice.

Tom

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

Re: Photo of snowfall in Colorado Mountains!

Here's a photo of the outside of TACTICAL WAREHOUSE (2 1/2 stories tall, in the background) taken from my residence (in the foreground)...
fc7b1668.jpg

Here's a photo of a Deere plowing my neighborhood...
fc7b0eaf.jpg