Good light for running

IcantC

Enlightened
Ok so I have been reading and searching(esp the AAA and AA threads). My gf is looking for a light. Here is what it will be used for. She runs outdoors at night and on the route is a deserted and dark place with plenty of foliage and no lights or people in sight. Yes scary and dark haha.

So obviously I decided to get her a light and it needs to meet the following requirements.
1) Small(so she can carry in her hand while running)
2) AA or AAA batteries.
3) Reliable/Durable(would not want it to fail when it is needed)
4) Easy UI, no more than 2 levels unless easy UI.
5) Should have decent throw and spill

So far I am favoring the Fenix LOD Q4 in red the best. Takes AAA, is red, bright, good CS and seems to be well built/reliable/well favored here. Can someone share how hard/easy it is use the UI. I think she might just set it on one mode(turbo) and leave it. Also how is the throw/spill.

I otherwise have also seen people like the Romisen RC-G2 Cree P2 AA
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3607 and saw it being favored well here
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176577
I know the grey is OP and black is Smooth. Which would be better in this use since some throw is still required?

I figure SF will be too big to carry on a run, headlamp useless since she needs it for literally 1 minute of an hour run. I loveeeeeeeee my Jetbeam C-LE V2, but reading problems with latest batch... Not sure I want to buy a newer one with the lettering and bad QC. Otherwise I will just give my Jetbeam I guess.

Lastly no light, that require me to insert foil or any other stuff like that. Thanks!

Fooboy

Enlightened
I take my L1 Cree with me. I use the lanyard to fix it to my wrist and then just carry it in my hand.

It practically weighs nothing, 2 levels, easy interface ... and I spend so much time playing with it that it makes my night time jogging fly by!

Note: I don't leave it on the whole time. There are certain areas of my jog without lights and I use it temporarily. The 10 lumen setting is plenty, and 16 hours / 1.75 for CR123 battery = 11 pennies per hour, which is nothing. Even cheaper if you get $1.00 CR123 batteries.

Sometimes I do just love to blast all 60 lumens into the woods to see how far you can see - its awesome :)

hmmm .... just outta curiosity

$1.75 / 1.5 hours (high setting) = $1.17 per hour on high.

Last edited:

IcantC

Enlightened
Well L1 is out, since I need AA or AAA so she can easily get new batteries. I doubt she would wear headlamp since she needs it for one part of the run for only a minute.

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
IncantC,
I use my L2D-CE which I bought specifically for running. My runs are about an hour, and I only use the light for about half that time due to sufficient street lighting along some of the route. It may be too bright in Turbo mode, but the 2 AA form factor fits better in my hand than the 1 AA L1D-CE, the L2D is much easier for me to grip with gloves on.

I also put some very tight fitting O-rings on the L2D to improve the grip, which is important if wearing gloves, or with sweaty hands. I also use the wrist lanyard to wrap it around to help prevent dropping it. I may try the O-ring trick on my L1D-CE to see if it improves the grip.

I know at night my primary concerns are seeing the bumps, cracks in concrete and blacktop, debris in the road, potential ice. I also use it for shining on a barking dog to make sure it's not charging, alerting drivers by shining light or strobe ahead of me(not directly at them). I also think to some degree I can keep an eye if someone is up to no good either in a car or walking.

Typically I run with it on turbo mode, so it's one easy click and it's on. I sometimes play around and use the other modes, like Med. or high to save batteries.

I also sometimes clip a LED blinking light to my laces or clothing for safety purposes.

As a light I like the LOD Q4, and bought some as gifts, but I'm just not sure it'll be bright enough to run with. But it may just be me, but I want some serious brightness due to some of the above things. Worse case, the CPF motto of buy another light can be invoked :crackup:

Hope this helps somewhat, just trying to share my thoughts and information.

Last edited:

acourvil

Enlightened
I run in the dark on a regular basis, on dirt roads and trails where the only light is moonlight and what I carry. My favorite setup right now is a Black Diamond Xenix IQ head lamp (modded to swap the Lux emitter for an SSC), and a Feix LOD-CE as backup.

If the routes are such that she reallly doesn't need the light, then something like the LOD-CE is probably enough. It's small enough and bright enough to serve as a stop gap, and it's easy to hold in your hand w/o getting tired or unbalanced.

If she wants light for the whole run, then she should borrow a headlamp and try it. I run with several other people, and most have them have ultimately decided that they prefer a lightweight headlamp to carrying a flashlight in one hand. OTOH, if you are running with others, having a combination of headlamps and hand-held lights is great, because you get light from several angles that helps provide better perspective.

How far does she run? That might affect the choice based on run-time or how annoying it is to have something in your hand.

Edro

Newly Enlightened
LumaPower LM31 comes to mind.
It looks like it meets all your requirements.
Small: 3.93" x .79"
Takes 1 AA battery.
Reliable.
Easy UI: 2 modes...low & high.
Decent throw and spill: yep.
And the clicky makes it easy to operate one handed.

The Fenix L1D would also work...it costs more but it also has more features. The UI isn't complicated but not as simple as the LM31.
Good luck.

Tremendo

Enlightened
I run in the dark often also. My EDC is my FireFly3 and that's what I often take, but my P2D P100 works a little better. Now you want an AA? Today I'd take my Nitecore 1xAA, no questions asked. I could set the low to be about 70% and it should be very bright and last 2 hours or more with a good AA.

I would take my Rex 2.0 over my Jet C-LE, but that's just me. Try to stick with a button I'd think.

JohnB

Newly Enlightened
FoxFury makes a smaller clip on runners light that would certainly compliment a handheld light.

The TX3 Runners light
tx1_light_insert_angled_lar.jpg

• 2 to 4 LEDs (varies by model)
  • Waterproof, Fire and Impact Resistant
  • Runs on two CR2032 Batteries
  • Battery Life: up to 40 hours
tx3_sideworn.jpg

• Candle Power = 60
  • Lumens = 5.2
  • Field of Vision = 20°
  • Lighting = Photopic
  • Distance Vision 12-14 ft (3 m)
  • Peripheral Vision = N/A

Thanks
John

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L0D doesn't have throw. I think it's more of a path (slow walking) or indoors light. I would go L2D in "Turbo" mode. Maybe a lightweight headlamp like a ZebraLight for some extra background lighting as a supplement.

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
Link below for the LED colored Safety blinking lights I sometimes use when running, I think i got mine years ago at Walmart, but haven't seen them there recently. I have a few of the 'original' model ones. They look the same as mine, and if they are they run off of 2 AAA batteries and last very, very long. They have like 6 different flashing modes.

Prosafety website

leon-qcg

Newly Enlightened
Ok so I have been reading and searching(esp the AAA and AA threads). My gf is looking for a light. Here is what it will be used for. She runs outdoors at night and on the route is a deserted and dark place with plenty of foliage and no lights or people in sight. Yes scary and dark haha.

So obviously I decided to get her a light and it needs to meet the following requirements.
1) Small(so she can carry in her hand while running)
2) AA or AAA batteries.
3) Reliable/Durable(would not want it to fail when it is needed)
4) Easy UI, no more than 2 levels unless easy UI.
5) Should have decent throw and spill

So far I am favoring the Fenix LOD Q4 in red the best. Takes AAA, is red, bright, good CS and seems to be well built/reliable/well favored here. Can someone share how hard/easy it is use the UI. I think she might just set it on one mode(turbo) and leave it. Also how is the throw/spill.

I otherwise have also seen people like the Romisen RC-G2 Cree P2 AA
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3607 and saw it being favored well here
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176577
I know the grey is OP and black is Smooth. Which would be better in this use since some throw is still required?

I figure SF will be too big to carry on a run, headlamp useless since she needs it for literally 1 minute of an hour run. I loveeeeeeeee my Jetbeam C-LE V2, but reading problems with latest batch... Not sure I want to buy a newer one with the lettering and bad QC. Otherwise I will just give my Jetbeam I guess.

Lastly no light, that require me to insert foil or any other stuff like that. Thanks!
:twothumbs:twothumbsI choose the OP one, as it will not slip from your hand when you take it, can be much safer to keep it.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I like the Fenix offerings, they get a little too slipery when your hands start sweating. Even with a wrist lanyard wrapped tightly, activating the tailswitch requires more thought than necessary IMHO.

If a handheld is preffered over a headlight, then I'd go with a Proton Pro. Easy UI, sideswitch, bright, takes 1xAA, and good runtime.

acourvil

Enlightened
The L0D doesn't have throw. I think it's more of a path (slow walking) or indoors light.

You don't need throw for running. You need enough light within 10-15 feet to see what the path looks like and where your feet are going. A bigger light will work, too, but it's more to carry.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the conditions that the OP describes might warrant the choice of a stronger light. Especially one that won't get swallowed up by surrounding green stuff.

LowTEC

Enlightened
L0D is too flood of a light for running ( hardly useful for more than 10 feet ), I would suggest a L1D for a bit more throw (to watch out for curbs and what not) and still small enough to carry, button switch is an asset for instant on and off, second click for instant warning strobe

BlackDecker

Enlightened
When running, I wear a Rayovac Sportsman's Extreme (1AA) with the diffuser over the main LED which puts out a broad beam about 15-20 feet in front of me, and carry a Sam's Club Element (3AAA) in my hand for more long distance usage. I prefer a flashlight with the switch on the barrel like the Element over tail switchies like my Fenix L2D. They're easier to switch on when a brain-dead person behind the wheel can't see you.

You don't have to spend big bucks to provide yourself with a decent amount of light for a run. The Sportsman's Extreme is only $19, and a 2 pack of the Elements is less than $23.

Last edited:

acourvil

Enlightened
L0D is too flood of a light for running ( hardly useful for more than 10 feet ), I would suggest a L1D for a bit more throw (to watch out for curbs and what not) and still small enough to carry, button switch is an asset for instant on and off, second click for instant warning strobe

Just curious about whether you have actually run with one . . . .