Cree or Rebel?

benighted

Enlightened
Which one is better? Is there any difference? I haven't been to CPF for a while so I'm just trying to catch up on a few things.

Thanks,

Clint

a4d

Enlightened
No proffesional here i bet i'll be corrected if wrong. Rebel has a better color rendition more like Inc. Cree is a little brighter and a better thrower.

magic_elf

Banned
The Rebel seems super small compared to the Cree, or even P4 for that matter. How come there still isn't any manufacturer making a mutli LED flashlight with these? I think it should be a nice floody light with multiple Rebels :)

BigD64

Enlightened
Not better color rendition. The Rebel has a "warmer" beam. Cree is usually white but you can have different tints. Luck of the draw.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The choice comes completely down to what you are looking for not which is better etc.

The Cree has slightly better efficiency, and a slightly cooler white tint.

The Rebel has slightly worse efficiency, but offers tints from warm white to cool white, and the package is about 1/4th the size of the Cree.

Personally I would recommend the Cree over the Rebel to most users simply because for most people a Rebel is impossible to solder, and without a proper mounting setup can not be used, where the Cree can be mounted anywhere with only a small amount of prep work.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
There always to be a few people with misconceptions, which is what makes this subject so confusing here on CPF. But here are the simple facts:

CREE's highest bin is 7% brighter than the highest Rebel. they are coming out with one 14% brighter than the highest Rebel.

Rebel has a warmer tint, slightly similar to an incandescent, while the CREE is pure white (the best bins, at least). The warmer tint does not improve color rendition, but is a bit more natural to see.

They have similar emmision patterns, except one thing: all cree LEDs produce nasty rings around the edges, which different flashlights do better or worse jobs of getting rid of.

Both LEDs are, of course, tiny, but CREE is much larger, but this has absolutely no impact on the flashlight, if that light does a good job of focusing it.

In summary, a Rebel may be better for an around-the-house/reading light, but a CREE is preferable when intensity is important.

Last edited:

cal..45

Enlightened
I have a P2D with rebel 100 and a P2D with Q5 both with textured reflectors

I prefer the rebel, as things appear more natural when lighten up due to its warmer (yellowisher tint). I also prefer its spill which is bigger, smoother and better defined.

I cannot see any significant difference between both lights when it comes down to throw. both LED types do their jobs remarkable well, up to a distance for about 50 meters.

in the end its all about personal preference but you can't go wrong with either IMO.

regards, holger

daveman

Enlightened
Cree is available and Rebels are currently not. Some kind of production problem, maybe.

Sharpy_swe

Enlightened
The tint is much nicer on my P3D RB100 compared to my brothers L2D Q5, even my L0D RB80 got a better tint.

I prefer the Rebel.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree is available and Rebels are currently not. Some kind of production problem, maybe.

Fenix-Store.com currently has Rebel 100 lights up for sale.

:clap:

Walk in the Light and you won't stumble in the dark.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The throw claim is incorrect.
The throw claim is NOT incorrect. It depends on the application. From a bare emmiter viewpoint the cree definatly is the better thrower. And when using reflectors it could go either way depending on the reflector used. It is well known that by far the best throwing LED flashlights are aspherics. With this application the Crees reign supreme.

daveman

Enlightened

Have you put in a call to Lumileds and placed an order on 2000 pcs of Reble 100? When we refer to the availability of a particular emitter, we mean the production capacity of the manufacturer to satisfy the industry, not just one small flashlight dealer. :duh2:

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Just a bit of information from querying someone in the know....

Lumileds is infamous for producing what they want, when they want to. My information source has had a standing order with Lumileds (and this information source works for a Fortune 500 aerospace company) for the past 4 months with no product being shipped.

Cree, on the other hand, is definitely more customer service oriented. Two weeks from order to receipt of product is the norm.

SSC is another one that's also more customer service oriented. 2-3 weeks is the norm for them.

So - just because some retail storefront has it, doesn't mean that industry users are getting what they need or want.

-Steve