Wolf Eyes Storm Q5 780 lumens?

magic_elf

Banned
Does the Storm Q5 really put out 780 lumens?
What are you experienced with Wolf Eyes lights, do they inflate output numbers like some other manufacturers?

I'm contemplating on getting the one sold here, at about $60 off seems like a good deal. Need some advice/convincing before shooting PayPal :p

Thanks in advance!

magic_elf

Banned
Nah, I meant $60 off, as in lower than retail.
What is the general concensus regarding Wolf Eyes and their advertised output ratings? Can I really expect 780 lumens from this light?

daveman

Enlightened
Wolfeyes make excellent lights, they're solid and overbuilt, in my own experience, they're every bit as durable as Surefires and even beyond.

The 780 lumen figure is emitter lumens, the Storm will most likely output less than that through the lense.

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have been deciding for a while to get the storm or the thunder version

daveman

Enlightened
One uses primaries and the other li-ion. The one running on primaries is a bit longer, the other shorter but with a thicker tube.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emitter lumens are the lumens, umm, coming off the emitter (emitters -plural - in this case). As opposed to out the front lumens, which are those that actually make it out the front of the light and do you some good, rather than being converted to heat.

I have the previous version of the Storm. Very, very nice light. Worth the cash! If I didn't already have one, I'd buy the Q5.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Magic elf,

If I may add a comment about the charging system...

I recently picked up an M300 that uses the same set up. The charging system is set to 4.6 volts EDIT: this should be 4.6 volts per cell ENDEDIT. The charge stops via the protection circuit in the cells. While not ideal, this system is workable.

However

The cells are charged in series. When one cell reaches the high voltage cut off, the charging stops. I ended up with an 0.10 volt imbalance between my 3 cells.

The cells are protected, so there are no safety issues, but your performance will be better if your cells are balanced. I removed the cells and balanced them. The next cycle was better, but some external balancing was still required.

I believe that once you get your cells balanced, you can probably charge normally for several cycles, but make sure you check the balance of your cells when you start off using this, and similar, lights.

Tom

Last edited:

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Magic elf,

If I may add a comment about the charging system...

I recently picked up an M300 that uses the same set up. The charging system is set to 4.6 volts. The charge stops via the protection circuit in the cells. While not ideal, this system is workable.

However

The cells are charged in series. When one cell reaches the high voltage cut off, the charging stops. I ended up with an 0.10 volt imbalance between my 3 cells.

The cells are protected, so there are no safety issues, but your performance will be better if your cells are balanced. I removed the cells and balanced them. The next cycle was better, but some external balancing was still required.

I believe that once you get your cells balanced, you can probably charge normally for several cycles, but make sure you check the balance of your cells when you start off using this, and similar, lights.

Tom

Thank you for this post! This makes sense - I wondered how the charger knew when the charge was over, because it does the same thing if you disconnect it - flip the LED to green!

I'm just going to take the cells out and charge them individually a couple times. You learn something here very day! In retrospect it should have been obvious, but then "duh" is one of my most often used words!

fa__

Newly Enlightened
I ordered one storm Q5 from pacific tactical solutions one week ago. I do not have any news about my order since, neither did i get reply to my mail to pts, nor did i get answers to my MP to Mike here. Are they on holidays, is it usual for theim to take so much time to answer ?
Thanks.

GreySave

Enlightened
I would guess holidays had an impact. But I believe they are also in the upper west coast area and I believe they had sonme heavy weather up there. Internet service might not have been (or be) reliable. Might want to try a phone call.

fa__

Newly Enlightened
Well, phone call has to be forgotten, i can more or less write and read, but speaking and understanding in a phone call is not something i'd try to do :)

I was not aware of weather problems in their region, i hope it's not too bad. I'll try sending another mail next week.
Thanks for the information anyway !

johnnymceldoo

Newly Enlightened
I got my storm a couple weeks ago from PTS. It did take about 3 weeks though which Id imagine are holiday order related.

The light is super nice. Threads, fit and finish are excellent and it fits the hand nicely for such big light. I left mine on for 30 minutes on high mode and it was warm but not super hot. I want to see how long it will go but Iam chicken thinking it will burn up like my ultrafire 3 cree light did before the batteries are drained.

It has alot of spill and the light is very white. I havnt done much distance lighting.

Iam anxious for you to get your storm as well because I know you have the quad cree romisen and Id like to see some comparison shots.

magic_elf

Banned
Hi Silverfox,

Perhaps you can help me out with these questions as well.

How will this 0.1V imbalance affect actual practical usage of the light?
How is it that the charging system be set to 4.6V is the cells are charged in series?
What do I need to do to ensure balanced cells?

Thanks in advance! :)

Oh btw Johnny, I do not have the quad cree romison. Perhaps you've mistaken me with someone else?
I think it should be safe to run the storm for longer than 30 min, since the review shows a runtime graph of it at 100%, and that lasted about 2 hours.

Last edited:

magic_elf

Banned
crap, seems like its been sold. guess i shouldn't have lingered so long before making up my mind :(

ok, so who was it?

fa__

Newly Enlightened
Oh btw Johnny, I do not have the quad cree romison. Perhaps you've mistaken me with someone else?

I believe he was talking about me, I have the quad romisen.
But it will not be easy to do comparison : i modded my romisen, but it still does not ouput enough light to satisfy me :). I'll try another driver in it, currently i use the stock driver but with all 4 leds in a row, so as the driver is not a boost i have to use 4xrxr123 in order to get a high enough voltage. I'll post more details in the romisen 4x thread. I will never open my storm anyway :whistle:

Latest posts